Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Store Bought LC Barbecue Sauce ?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/808141-store-bought-lc-barbecue-sauce.html)

CarolynF 07-16-2013 03:31 PM

Store Bought LC Barbecue Sauce ??

I look at all the labels and found Stubbs Original to be the lowest carbs..about 6-7 per 2 Tbs. Definitely not perfect, but I "thin" it down with one regular can of beef broth and cook them in a saucepan until thicker. I also add a bit of liquid smoke and some sweetener to taste.

Anyone else find a lower carb sauce???

Divabunny 07-16-2013 03:40 PM

I'm sittin' in on this thread because I would love a suggestion as well. I made some sauce last week from a recipe that started with a base of Tomato Sauce/Paste with Tagatose as the sweetener and it just wasn't what I was looking for - it was more like a thick pizza sauce or something not BBQ sauce. I really want a bottled type tasting sauce recipe.

That's a good idea about thinning some bottled sauce down, I never thought about that!

Mistizoom 07-16-2013 07:52 PM

I bought Walden Farms BBQ sauce at my grocery store but I haven't tried it yet. Netrition sells a few other LC BBQ sauces. Guy's is good. I actually like Smokey Joe's even better but it appears that one has been discontinued.

rosethorns 07-16-2013 08:16 PM

I make homemade rubs.

Ocean 07-16-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16518308)
I bought Walden Farms BBQ sauce at my grocery store but I haven't tried it yet. Netrition sells a few other LC BBQ sauces. Guy's is good. I actually like Smokey Joe's even better but it appears that one has been discontinued.

I love Guy's and it is very low carb at 1 carb per 2 Tablespoons. I'm not even a big barbecue sauce person and I like it.

GME 07-16-2013 10:46 PM

I buy the LCest one I can find and mix it with mayo.

JHoberer 07-16-2013 11:46 PM

I like Elgin and Guy's and I make homemade but my new love is the Paula Deen sauce I found at Sam's Club last week! OH MY!!!! And with the Paula Deen issue in the media I bought 8 jars- yes I did!

dianafoot 07-17-2013 09:42 AM

If you are up for making your own, here's my favorite:
Diana’s Barbecue Sauce
This is a low-carbed tweaked version of my mother’s barbecue sauce, from the 1950’s. I discovered how good the addition of the bacon is on this forum.
Ingredients:
• 2 strips of bacon, cut into small pieces
• ¼ medium onion, finely chopped
• 1 cup no sugar ketchup
• ¼ cup vinegar I use cider vinegar here, but some prefer white distilled vinegar
• ¼ cup sugar replacer (I use a combo of xylitol or Ideal, tagatose, and a few drops of liquid splenda)*
• 1 tbs yellow prepared mustard
• 1 tsp blackstrap molasses
• 1 tbs dried onion flakes
• ½ tsp cinnamon
• ½ tsp garlic sauce
• 1 tsp salt or to taste
Sauté the little pieces of bacon until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp. Then sauté the chopped onion in the bacon fat until it is transparent and slightly caramelized. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Thin with water if necessary to prevent burning if cooking on the stovetop.

Stir well and adjust seasoning to taste.
This keeps beautifully in the fridge for several weeks.

*Note: the tagatose in this recipe will help with the browning of the meat on the grill or in the oven. Watch it closely, though if grilling or broiling, as it burns easily. Without tagatose, the sauce will almost never get that crispy, dark, grilled barbecue crust. An alternative in that situation would be to grill the meat first to form the crust, then add the barbecue sauce at the end. It also works well to use a little sugar-free honey as part of the sweetener. I keep a jar of that made up from Birgit Kerr’s recipe, which can be found on her website, or you can just use what you can buy in the grocery store.

pocahontas 07-17-2013 10:54 AM

I also buy Stubbs. I believe the one I buy says 4 carbs per 2 TBS though? It's a darn good BBQ sauce and I am too lazy to make my own when I just need a small amount.

Divabunny 07-17-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pocahontas (Post 16519184)
I also buy Stubbs. I believe the one I buy says 4 carbs per 2 TBS though? It's a darn good BBQ sauce and I am too lazy to make my own when I just need a small amount.

I like Stubbs, is this a Sugar Free version of Stubbs? or just one that happens to be low carb?

I've tried all of the SF bottled versions mentioned here and I just can't get past that artificial taste. Since I've fallen in love with Tagatose I figured I could finally make some good sauce, but my first attempt was a fail! :(

MsWoods 07-17-2013 11:35 AM

The only one I've seen locally is Guy's Carolina slop sauce, I think it's Carolina #6. We buy it, split it in half, I add heinz reduced ketchup, Franks's hot sauce, liquid smoke, and liquid sucralose to make it taste better, and that's what we've been using. I got sick of making my own and I can't find anything else around here. I've seen the Stubs but that's too many carbs for me.

The Guy's is 3g per 2tbsp, but the way I thin it down, I doubt it's that much. And I only eat it on ribs, my bf puts a little on them as they cook. I just need the sweet flavor on my meat.
The Guys

dianafoot 07-17-2013 03:12 PM

I bought some Stubbs, the lowest carb one I could find, but really didn't like the taste. I think the artificial smoke flavoring gets to me. There used to be a sauce called Dillard's BBQ sauce, that was vinegar based and no sugar, which I liked a lot. I used that in a pinch and added a little tomato paste and sweetener to it to punch up the flavor and texture a little. But now the only Dillard's I can find has too much sugar in it. Has anyone see the old kind of Dillard's in the store?

TBipp 07-17-2013 04:48 PM

We love Guy's from Netrition. Excellent!

CarolynF 07-18-2013 12:21 PM

I was all out of Guy's and it is out of stock at Netrition..

I had to add some sweetener to Stubbs..

tulipsandroses 07-18-2013 05:35 PM

I'm down to half a bottle of my last bottle of Guy's and I'm using it sparingly until Netrition gets more. Hopefully soon. Fox Brothers is a BBQ restaurant in the ATL area. Their BBQ sauce is 9 grams for 2 TBS. Whole Foods Also carries the Fox Brothers sauce. If I remember correctly Jim and Nick's another BBQ restaurant that sells their own sauce is about 8 grams per 2 TBS. I think Fox Brothers is only in the ATL area but I think Jim & Nick has several locations in different states.