Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Lupini beans

I've never had Lupini beans would they be a good substitute in a minestrone type soup in replace of the potatoes?
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
I had never heard of these, so looked them up. Seems like a lot of work to me to get them so they aren't poisonous.......................... Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Aren't these the beans they use for Lupin flour?
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Lytle View Post
I had never heard of these, so looked them up. Seems like a lot of work to me to get them so they aren't poisonous.......................... Ann
I Believe they also sell them "ready made" in the grocery store.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Aren't these the beans they use for Lupin flour?
I think they are.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
O.K. this is part of what I read: Commonly, these beans come from white, Andean, blue, or yellow lupines. They come with a caution, however, as they contain bitter alkaloids which can be poisonous if the beans are not treated properly.

In order to make lupini beans edible, the beans have to be soaked in a brine solution to draw out the alkaloids. Typically, the beans are washed first and then soaked in a brine which is changed until the brine no longer tastes bitter, indicating that the alkaloids in the beans have been leached out. It can take as many as five days with twice daily changes of the brine to make the beans safe to eat and tasty, although a varietal known as sweet lupinis requires somewhat less soaking. When properly soaked, these beans have a great flavor, and they are also very high in protein, making them a good choice for vegans and vegetarians. Seemed like a lot of work.................. Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I would caution you on lupini beans. Lupin beans are technically a legume that is closely related to peanuts. If you have a peanut allergy, there have been reports of some peanut sensitive people reacting negatively to lupin beans.

That said, in less than a month of consuming baked goods with lupin flour, I discovered I'm sensitive to it in a big way. Broke out in a skin disorder (red patches highly resistant to treatment) that was alleviated promptly when I stopped baking with lupin flour and consuming it. And I have never EVER had issues eating peanuts. So this particular legume is very unique IMO.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post

That said, in less than a month of consuming baked goods with lupin flour, I discovered I'm sensitive to it in a big way. Broke out in a skin disorder (red patches highly resistant to treatment) that was alleviated promptly when I stopped baking with lupin flour and consuming it. And I have never EVER had issues eating peanuts. So this particular legume is very unique IMO.
This is why I'm afraid to try it. I allergic to so many foods I think I'm tired.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
I wouldn't attempt to ripen/brine the beans yourself...it's time consuming and extremely toxic if not done correctly...they are readily available in all stores, by the Italian sections...they are good...you have to rinse them, they are very salty..hth
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
I wouldn't attempt to ripen/brine the beans yourself...it's time consuming and extremely toxic if not done correctly...they are readily available in all stores, by the Italian sections...they are good...you have to rinse them, they are very salty..hth
Yeah this is what Dr Oz had on his show, ready to go beans in a brine - trust me I have no intention of soaking ANY beans I'm too lazy for that.
I was just wondering if anyone had made a soup with these similar to minestrone, on the Oz show they were talking about it as a potato replacement.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I would caution you on lupini beans. Lupin beans are technically a legume that is closely related to peanuts. If you have a peanut allergy, there have been reports of some peanut sensitive people reacting negatively to lupin beans.

Oh that's no good! I'll proceed with caution.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I love Lupin flour. I use it almost daily. So happy I am not sensitive to it. Someone found a can of Lupin beans and tried it and posted it about. I think it was Barbo, not sure though. Obviously the beans had already been ripened and canned. However, she said she did not care for the taste of the beans. But that may be an option for you, to try to find the already canned beans if you want to try the whole bean. You probably won't find it at a regular grocery store though. I think she said she bought it at a specialty grocery store.
Off to make my Lupin pancakes for brekkie!
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote