Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   steamed broccoli (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/808119-steamed-broccoli.html)

socaligirl714 07-16-2013 08:06 AM

steamed broccoli

We are back on low carb....:jumpjoy:

Well i was half asleep this AM preping lunches... I put the whole huge bag of broccoli in the microwave to steam... How long will it stay good for? i put it in a tupperware in the fridge.

emel 07-16-2013 08:11 AM

3 days refrigerated. You can freeze it in 1 cup portions tonight if you're afraid you won't go through it all. (baggies with portions, all in one big tupperware)

Take it out of the baggie to microwave. That plastic isn't good to heat around your food.

socaligirl714 07-16-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emel (Post 16517349)
3 days refrigerated. You can freeze it in 1 cup portions tonight if you're afraid you won't go through it all. (baggies with portions, all in one big tupperware)

Take it out of the baggie to microwave. That plastic isn't good to heat around your food.

If i freeze it how would i prepare it? just microwave for a few minutes? I usually buy individual broc and cheese's but this was way cheaper and i can control the cheese i put in it. Thanks!

emel 07-16-2013 08:44 AM

Easiest would be to plan ahead and put individual baggies into the frig the night before you want to eat it. then just plop on a plate and nuke til hot, about a minute.

To nuke frozen already-cooked broccoli, I'd put it on 60 to 70% power for a minute or two, then nuke for a minute at full power to get it hot through.

Or you could toss the baggie into a bowl of hot water at the start of your prep, and it should thaw enough in 5 min or so to be nuked to hot for 90 seconds or a little more.

Signed, the girl whose answers are always really really long.

socaligirl714 07-16-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emel (Post 16517400)
Easiest would be to plan ahead and put individual baggies into the frig the night before you want to eat it. then just plop on a plate and nuke til hot, about a minute.

To nuke frozen already-cooked broccoli, I'd put it on 60 to 70% power for a minute or two, then nuke for a minute at full power to get it hot through.

Or you could toss the baggie into a bowl of hot water at the start of your prep, and it should thaw enough in 5 min or so to be nuked to hot for 90 seconds or a little more.

Signed, the girl whose answers are always really really long.

COOL!!! thanks!!! i never knew u can cook it then freeze it.. that will cut down my prep time..

Long but usefull posts :)

Beth2013 07-16-2013 11:27 AM

I do this a lot on the M/E fast. I buy the $.99 bags, so there's not like a whole lot in them. I steam the whole bag, then portion out 6 pieces per meal. It never ha a chance to go bad. I kept it in a ceramic crock with a plastic lid (in the fridge, of course). I use broccoli and Brussels sprouts. :heart: