Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Here is my low carb chili recipe (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/808007-here-my-low-carb-chili-recipe.html)

Garlic 07-14-2013 10:13 AM

Here is my low carb chili recipe

If I put an asterisk next to it, it is optional, but then again, pretty much everything is optional, isn't it? :hyst:

24 ounces of water
2 lbs ground beef
1 teaspoon cinnamon *
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, mashed
1 TBS salt
2 tablespoons chili powder... the darker the better
2 TBS chili seasoning
2 teaspoons black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper..... cayenne is what I use,
1/2 teaspoon allspice *
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
3 bay leaves... or 1 tsp bay leaf powder
3 TBS Low carb Ketchup ( Heinz Low Sugar ) *
1 diced poblano pepper *
3 packets of splenda *
1 - 2 Chipotles in adobo sauce, minced. *
1 TBS SUPER HOT HOT SAUCE..... Totally optional. I use a habanero sauce.

Brown the meat and drain the fat.... at least I do..... add everything into a big pot except for the Splenda. Simmer for 2 hours on the stove, or put in the oven at 275 for 2 hours or so. Add Splenda at the end if using.

Sometimes I add a 12 ounce pack of mushrooms just to extend the portions.

This makes about 8 portions if you are a big eater like I am, maybe 12 if you are not. For 8 portions this is "about" 10 carbs, maybe 12. It all depends on portion size and if you include the optional ingredients. I eat this on days that I know I am otherwise low in carbs.

EDIT..... this is 100% optional as well, but I like it..... the zest of 1 lime can be added in near the end of cooking..... don't ask me why I did this the first time because I don't know..... but I did it and I like it.... it will change the flavor of the chili a lot, though.

Pam 07-14-2013 10:20 AM

mmmmmmm.....sounds really good! What's the difference between chile powder and chilie seasoning?

Garlic 07-14-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam (Post 16514598)
mmmmmmm.....sounds really good! What's the difference between chile powder and chilie seasoning?

Chile powder is just a Chile ( pepper ) this is dried and made into a powder.... the seasoning can include cumin, salt, garlic and other ingredients.

buttoni 07-14-2013 06:34 PM

That really sounds GOOD! I'll have to try it sometime. Thanks!

gello5440 07-14-2013 06:43 PM

Love the idea of baking it. Saved to try.

Croton130 07-16-2013 07:18 AM

Sounds like a recipe worth trying. When I make chili I use home ground canned tomatoes to lower the carbs a little. Also, if anyone misses the beans in their chili, Eden Organic Black Soybeans work well.

While they are cooked and ready to eat out of the can, I find them a bit hard. So I either put them in right away so they can cook a bit more and and soften or cook them separately and add them at the end.

roger

teeingoff17 07-19-2013 07:42 PM

Cinnamon should not be optional in chili! That is my secret ingredient I use every time I make chili, and it makes it so good!

Smiles 07-27-2013 07:44 PM

I was looking for a low carb chili recipe. Thanks so much for posting. :)

Tracy

shelby'snana 07-27-2013 08:55 PM

sounds good. Need to make a big batch for work next week !

CurlsNCuffs 10-06-2013 08:18 AM

This sounds good, I will have to make this!

lterry913 10-06-2013 08:20 AM

That sounds delish...I will add that you can use beef stock instead of the water if you want it even richer.