Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Light and fluffy, that's what I want (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/807967-light-fluffy-thats-what-i-want.html)

Seeking 07-13-2013 05:07 PM

Light and fluffy, that's what I want

I have purchased a second 5 pound bag of almond flour. My first 5 pound bag of almond flour was at times disappointing and at other times satisfying. But I'd like to know more.

Goal: To bake low-carb, gluten-free baked goods that are light, airy, fluffy and delicious (muffins, cakes, cinnamon buns, breads, etc)

Experience so far: heavy, dense and strangely-flavored baked goods

Challenge/unknown: How to make it light and fluffy, and how to make it all stick together better (replacement for gluten)?

So, for making it all hold together better, I'm thinking about buying xanthan gum. Is this a good idea? Is there anything bad about xanthan gum I should know? Looks like it's just fiber. It shouldn't raise my blood glucose levels then, right?

Now, for the light and fluffy effect, what should I do? I'm trying to decide between oat fiber, resistant starch, or something else that won't create an insulin response in my body. I saw that netrition has these items and more and for really good prices so I'm probably gonna order there. Any ideas? Perhaps someone has more experience with this than I do.

Beth2013 07-13-2013 05:26 PM

I haven't been LC baking very long, but I thought Gina's yellow cake -- http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16274429 -- was excellent! It really does taste like a high-carb cake and if you really wanted it super light and fluffy you might try folding in some beaten egg whites.

More experienced bakers will have better suggestions for you. Good luck!

rosethorns 07-13-2013 05:41 PM

Yep Beth is right. You should check out the recipes. Low carb baking is tough.

The Fantastic flour is now BTF (better than flour ). It is awesome. You will love it.
The way Ouizoid took the ingredients and made it wonderful.She uses oat fiber, glucomannan, coconut flour, egg whites, whey protein powder. Look at some of the recipes in the thread. We all did some really good recipes with it.
Also it taste like real cake . You will love her recipe.

I think everybody is getting the Now egg white protein powder, because the egg white powder is expensive unless you get it at Honeyville . You might want to ask one of the other friends. I can't use it because I'm allergic to the oat fiber.
But I think it is a wonderful mix. Amazing!!!!!!!

ouizoid 07-13-2013 06:32 PM

:love::love:Esther:heart::heart::hugs:

watcher513 07-14-2013 03:20 AM

Low carb baking is a whole new ballgame as they say, and a whole new learning experience. I'm Still learning. Here's the link to the big batch BTF recipes (it's a sticky thread at the top of this section). All the recipes were consolidated by Gina on this thread so it's easier to find them instead of going through the original huge thread to find them:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html

rosethorns 07-14-2013 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 16513901)
:love::love:Esther:heart::heart::hugs:

Thank you Ouizoid:hugs:

Your recipe is amazing and I tell everybody I can about. My friends at church love this recipe and everything they can make with it.about 9 of us came to my house to learn how to use your recipe and bake a few of the womderful recipes in that thread. It broke my heart because of my allergy. I know it's proably silly but i can't say enough about how wonderful it is.

You want lite and fluffy here ya go.

Hot Potato 07-14-2013 06:04 AM

Can I ask whether psyllium husks can be substituted for oat fibre??

rosethorns 07-14-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Potato (Post 16514284)
Can I ask whether psyllium husks can be substituted for oat fibre??

No you can't sorry. You can't replace anything in her recipe believe me I tried. They all work together in synergy. That oat fiber is part of the magic . You can get the oat fiber from Netrition and I can't tell you enough IT'S Worth it to do her recipe to the letter the first time .

The thread may be very long but it's a good read.

Good luck.

Hot Potato 07-14-2013 06:31 AM

Thanks. I don't eat grains :( I might have to wait until maintenance (planning on eating oats in moderation then!) Only about 35 kilograms to go :D

theredhead 07-14-2013 07:58 AM

I have had great success with a couple of the Chicken Lady's recipes. No one can tell they're low carb and I've taken them to family dinners several times.
Here is a link for Carrot Cake:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cipe-pick.html
And here's a link for Almond Flour Fudge Cake:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-cake-pic.html

I've made both of these several times and love them! I do think it can be hard to get the sweeteners just right on low carb. I have a sensitive palate and don't care for regular Splenda (plus it's carby), so I use a blend of Sweetzfree (liquid Splenda ordered online) and Erythritol. It's been my go-to combination for years.

lterry913 07-14-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Potato (Post 16514323)
Thanks. I don't eat grains :( I might have to wait until maintenance (planning on eating oats in moderation then!) Only about 35 kilograms to go :D

The recipe uses oat fiber, not oat flour, the fiber is not a grain. Just like psillium is a husk/fiber and not a grain...I think That is the easiest way I can explain...the oat fiber is just fiber.

If you can try it the BTF mix is very versitile...I do prefer to add it in place of some of the almond flour in my recipes instead of using it straight as I am used to the taste of things with the almond flour already. It does add a cakiness to my recipes that I really like.

buttoni 07-14-2013 11:48 AM

I second what everyone is saying about Ouiz's BTF mix. We are getting "light and fluffy" results with it. The only other "light and fluffy" results I've achieved are my older baked goods recipes where I used a combination of Carbquick and either Jennifer Eloff's Gluten-free bake mix, or her Splendid Low-carb bake mix. It was the combining that I think rendered the "light and fluffy". I don't eat wheat anymore, so I had to stop making my recipes with Carbquick, but they still "live" on my website if you want to take a browse in the cakes, breads and biscuits categories sometime. I've posted most of them here on the forums, so do an advanced search of my user name, "threads started by Buttoni" and you'll see most of my better baked goods recipes back when I was using this combination of flours. Here's one that comes to mind off the top of my head:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...onbutt/193.jpg
FLUFFY BISCUITS

I kid you not, these are hands down the lightest, fluffiest, best biscuit I’ve made in 40 years! And man, my husband will tell ya, I’ve been trying to find a good biscuit recipe for the entire time I’ve been married!!! Who would have ever thought the best would end up being a low-carb recipe?! :) My inspiration was Jennifer Eloff’s focaccia bread recipe, which I tweaked a bit. I just made the resulting batter into drop biscuits and man were they good! These are not suitable until the grains rung of OWL because of the CarbQuick (has wheat and soy). If you use all almond flour and no CarbQuick, they would be OK for OWL nuts & seeds rung, but still not suitable for Induction.

INGREDIENTS:

4 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
c. Jennifer Eloff Gluten-Free bake mix
c. CarbQuick bake mix
1 T. Parmesan Cheese, grated
c. Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
tsp. each baking powder and baking soda
dash salt
1 T. olive oil

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350. Soften cream cheese and beat in the eggs. Add all remaining ingredients and beat well. Dip onto parchment lined baking sheet, forming 9 large drop biscuits. Pop into preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes or until nicely browned.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 9 large biscuits, each containing:

134.5 calories
11.9 g fat
4.04 g carbs, 2.04 g fiber, 2.0 NET CARBS
7.56 g protein
199 mg sodium

miboje 07-14-2013 12:48 PM

When making a recipe with almond flour, I throw all the dry ingredients into the food processor with my serrated S blade and process for about 20 seconds. I believe the other ingredients provide a buffer that prevents the almond flour from breaking down and getting oily. It works to get the almond flour finer.

buttoni 07-14-2013 05:32 PM

That's a great idea, Miboje. I use Honeyvillegrains almond flour and it's pretty fine to start with. But I'll have to try your trick on it. Thanks for the tip! I do think the finer the better when it comes to almond flour.

Mistizoom 07-14-2013 05:43 PM

I don't do a lot of LC baking and defintely not with almond flour alone, because when I have eaten products made with all almond flour they feel very dense after eating and sit like a lead balloon in my stomach. I really do like the Fantastic Flour Mix/Better than Flour mix as others have posted. I make mine with coconut flour. I agree Gina's yellow cake is awesome, and it has a texture and flavor just like cake made with white flour.

miboje 07-14-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttoni (Post 16515083)
That's a great idea, Miboje. I use Honeyvillegrains almond flour and it's pretty fine to start with. But I'll have to try your trick on it. Thanks for the tip! I do think the finer the better when it comes to almond flour.

You are quite welcome, Buttoni. :)

I agree. I make my own almond flour, so I was trying to come up with a way of getting it finer without it turning it into almond butter. I have noticed that I cannot detect the grains of almond with this technique vs. without. I can only compare it to my own homemade almond without further processing.

Please let me know if you think it makes a difference.

Seeking 07-15-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watcher513 (Post 16514167)
Low carb baking is a whole new ballgame as they say, and a whole new learning experience. I'm Still learning. Here's the link to the big batch BTF recipes (it's a sticky thread at the top of this section). All the recipes were consolidated by Gina on this thread so it's easier to find them instead of going through the original huge thread to find them:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html

Ok so I'm seeing:

Fantastic Flour Mix X 12

1 1/2 cups oat fiber
1 1/2 cups coconut flour
3/4 cup protein powder
3/4 cups egg white powder
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp glucommanan

This is interesting. I've tried baking with coconut flour a few times and the results were sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad that I had to stop and gave up until further notice. Coconut flour is a very strange animal. I would rather stick to almond flour baking at this time (almond flour has fewer carbs anyway). But I do wonder what properties the egg white powder is adding? Perhaps a stabilizer...And the glucommanan? It looks like it's just another fiber...so would any fiber do? Or does this mysterious glucommanan posses unique properties that other fibers do not? Hmmm...

Edit: I just read that glucomannan possesses the ability to absorb a TON of liquid. Interesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theredhead (Post 16514443)
I have had great success with a couple of the Chicken Lady's recipes. No one can tell they're low carb and I've taken them to family dinners several times.
Here is a link for Carrot Cake:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cipe-pick.html
And here's a link for Almond Flour Fudge Cake:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-cake-pic.html

I've made both of these several times and love them! I do think it can be hard to get the sweeteners just right on low carb. I have a sensitive palate and don't care for regular Splenda (plus it's carby), so I use a blend of Sweetzfree (liquid Splenda ordered online) and Erythritol. It's been my go-to combination for years.

I'd be using stevia and maybe a little erythritol. This recipe seems a lot simpler than what I've seen so far. I am not 100% certain as to how the sour cream is helping, but I've seen this occurring many times in low carb recipes.

Learning all this low carb stuff has made me think about baking in totally new ways, more like a food chemist than a casual foodie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lterry913 (Post 16514689)
The recipe uses oat fiber, not oat flour, the fiber is not a grain. Just like psillium is a husk/fiber and not a grain...I think That is the easiest way I can explain...the oat fiber is just fiber.

If you can try it the BTF mix is very versitile...I do prefer to add it in place of some of the almond flour in my recipes instead of using it straight as I am used to the taste of things with the almond flour already. It does add a cakiness to my recipes that I really like.

Ok so I can substitute it for some of the other flours, and it adds cakiness. Two positives in a row; I'm definitely going to order some oat fiber now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttoni (Post 16514705)
I second what everyone is saying about Ouiz's BTF mix. We are getting "light and fluffy" results with it.

I think I will hold off on coconut flour until a few months down the road, or until I feel 100% confident in my almond flour baking skills, whichever comes first.

And I'm trying to get away from gluten so I think I'll skip Carbquik.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, this has been quite helpful. Looks like oat fiber is getting added to my shopping list.

Mistizoom 07-15-2013 04:55 PM

Have you thought about buying a cookbook?

The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking: 80 Low-Carb Recipes that Offer Solutions for Celiac Disease, Diabetes, and Weight Loss by Peter Reinhart and Denene Wallace is supposed to be very good.

I also like the Healthy Indulgences blog. She has a lot of recipes that meet the criteria you are looking for and an inexpensive cookbook complied from recipes from her blog.

Seeking 07-19-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16516528)

The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking: 80 Low-Carb Recipes that Offer Solutions for Celiac Disease, Diabetes, and Weight Loss by Peter Reinhart and Denene Wallace is supposed to be very good.

I just logged in about 20 minutes ago and saw your post. And wow. I am blown away by that book. I'm buying it online as I type this! I see that this book gives it's readers the option to pick Stevia or Splenda, and that makes me very happy! I will be sticking with Stevia.

Quote:

I also like the Healthy Indulgences blog. She has a lot of recipes that meet the criteria you are looking for and an inexpensive cookbook complied from recipes from her blog.

I've been to that blog off and on; I'll check it out again soon. Thanks for your very helpful suggestions! :D

lterry913 07-19-2013 12:52 PM

Seeking...I just wanted to clarify that the baking mix adds the cakiness to my almond flour recipes...not the oat fiber alone. I have not tried oat fiber alone in anything...maybe someone can chime in and let you know....I think the combo of ingredients, including the coconut flour, in the baking mix adds to the richness of the recipies I use it in. Good luck and enjoy your new cookbook.

lgpars 07-19-2013 02:02 PM

Try Ginny Larson's "Mom's Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Glaze"

You won't be disappointed with this cake, however, you may not have all the ingredients. It is a very scrumptious cake. You can do a search for Ginny's Low Carb Kitchen. It probably is somewhere in here also if you do a search of posts.

watcher513 07-19-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Be aware that this book does not have nutritionals in the book which really disappointed me (Elana Amsterdam's books don't either). However, on her web site, she's slowly adding them in so I guess we'd have to write them in the book, or figure them out ourselves.

That being said, it's a great book and has some wonderful recipes in it!

Seeking 07-22-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lterry913 (Post 16522515)
Seeking...I just wanted to clarify that the baking mix adds the cakiness to my almond flour recipes...not the oat fiber alone. I have not tried oat fiber alone in anything...maybe someone can chime in and let you know....I think the combo of ingredients, including the coconut flour, in the baking mix adds to the richness of the recipies I use it in. Good luck and enjoy your new cookbook.

Oh ok. Well I ordered the oat fiber a few days ago and I'll use it regardless. I just did an experimental recipe today in which I added poly-D, and my goodness, it really does improve taste and texture in leaps and bounds. I'll be experimenting with the oat fiber when it comes in.

Today I made a vanilla cake with almond flour, poly-D, a little bit of arrowroot starch (hopefully I can omit this when the oat fiber comes in), eggs, butter, erythritol, stevia, cinnamon, baking soda, water and vanilla extract. It smelled and tasted very good. I made this recipe up on the spot and blended it all together in the blender to make a very smooth batter. Baked at 350 for 20 mins, and it was perfect.

Then I made a "frosting" with erythritol, almond flour, poly-D, butter, water, vanilla extract mixed together in my food processor. Didn't turn out exactly as good as I wanted or was hoping for but I used what ingredients I had. I've purchased inulin for use on the next try.

After viewing a ton of LC recipes and baking at least 20 different LC recipes, I feel like I'm at a point now where I've developed a "kitchen instinct" when it comes to LC baking, enough so that I am not at risk of throwing food away if I mess up or venture off the beaten path. Woohoo!

Thanks everybody!

Smiles 07-27-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seeking (Post 16526837)
Oh ok. Well I ordered the oat fiber a few days ago and I'll use it regardless. I just did an experimental recipe today in which I added poly-D, and my goodness, it really does improve taste and texture in leaps and bounds. I'll be experimenting with the oat fiber when it comes in.

Today I made a vanilla cake with almond flour, poly-D, a little bit of arrowroot starch (hopefully I can omit this when the oat fiber comes in), eggs, butter, erythritol, stevia, cinnamon, baking soda, water and vanilla extract. It smelled and tasted very good. I made this recipe up on the spot and blended it all together in the blender to make a very smooth batter. Baked at 350 for 20 mins, and it was perfect.

Then I made a "frosting" with erythritol, almond flour, poly-D, butter, water, vanilla extract mixed together in my food processor. Didn't turn out exactly as good as I wanted or was hoping for but I used what ingredients I had. I've purchased inulin for use on the next try.

After viewing a ton of LC recipes and baking at least 20 different LC recipes, I feel like I'm at a point now where I've developed a "kitchen instinct" when it comes to LC baking, enough so that I am not at risk of throwing food away if I mess up or venture off the beaten path. Woohoo!

Thanks everybody!

I'd be interested in your recipe for the vanilla cake, if you would be comfortable sharing :)

Tracy

TBipp 07-29-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

I love the Reinhart cookbook also. :)

It seems that the LC recipes that call for almond flour AND a small bit of coconut flour are much lighter in texture. When I use the BTF mix, I cut the coconut flour in half and use almond flour for other half. It is a great mixture.

watcher513 08-27-2013 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBipp (Post 16535312)
I love the Reinhart cookbook also. :)

It seems that the LC recipes that call for almond flour AND a small bit of coconut flour are much lighter in texture. When I use the BTF mix, I cut the coconut flour in half and use almond flour for other half. It is a great mixture.

That's what I do too, use half coconut flour and half almond flour.