Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   What would you do with 3 large zucchini? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/807963-what-would-you-do-3-large-zucchini.html)

Mackenzie 07-13-2013 03:41 PM

What would you do with 3 large zucchini?

My neighbor gave me 3 very large zucchini from his garden. I just made a zucchini casserole with stewed tomatoes, onions, garlic and cheese the other day and have 2 more small pans of it in the freezer(this was with zucchini I bought before his generous gift). I thought of zucchini bread, and breaded sliced zucchini browned in a pan, but what other ideas does the PG have for zucchini????

Mackenzie 07-13-2013 03:41 PM

I thought of zucchini lasagna but it would be too similar to the zucchini casseroles already in the freezer.......:)

katz 07-13-2013 03:45 PM

I love it just roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper. Even better on the grill!

Nelle Belle 07-13-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katz (Post 16513676)
I love it just roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper. Even better on the grill!

This.

In the fall I like to make vegetable soup with lots of zukex.

Nady 07-13-2013 03:50 PM

Zucchini slaw~ I just shred the zukes and some carrots, thinly sliced sweet onions and some craisins. Sometimes I throw in some slivered almonds and top with your favorite slaw dressing. Easy and good!

Trixie2 07-13-2013 03:58 PM

Or if you don't want to use them now, shred them for zucchini cake or bread later and just freeze it.

Nady 07-13-2013 04:03 PM

Something I've done~ Dice the zucchini, put in saucepan with a jar of salsa. Heat to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer, cook until reduced and thick. Cool and pack in freezer bags and freeze. Use as topping for chicken breasts, burgers, chip dip, whatever sounds good! :)

hay 07-13-2013 04:03 PM

i would use some to make zucchini chocolate chip bread, and some to make zoodles! i used to make zoodles all the time and eat spaghetti sauce with them.

metqa 07-13-2013 04:04 PM

Zucchini Chips! I love em. I slice it really thin with a food slicer, Toss them with a wee bit of oil and salt, then bake in the oven at 200 degrees till they dry up and then longer till they become crispy chips. The last batch I made, my ESL class ate them all up.

I also made some with sour cream and onion powder and they tasted just like potato chips. I just used a wee bit of sour cream and a lot , like a tablespoon of onion powder. and baked them on parchment paper till crispy. Oh you do have to turn them over at least once while baking cause the part touching the paper stays wet longer. Flipping it allows it to dry all the way through.

My Zucchine plant is producing fruit already, i'm so excited and happy. I could eat zucchini just fried in butter. or just sliced and dipped in onion dip.

Or, cut them into fourths, the long way for long wedges, just spread some oil or butter on them , sprinkle some salt and pepper and grill 'em. They taste sweet when grilled. Or roasted with onion and causliflowe and squash. Mmm, i'm getting hungry!

handbells 07-13-2013 04:05 PM

Zucchini noodles sauted with a little butter, salt and pepper.

Grain free zucchini muffins

handbells 07-13-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metqa (Post 16513702)
Zucchini Chips! I love em. I slice it really thin with a food slicer, Toss them with a wee bit of oil and salt, then bake in the oven at 200 degrees till they dry up and then longer till they become crispy chips. The last batch I made, my ESL class ate them all up.

I also made some with sour cream and onion powder and they tasted just like potato chips. I just used a wee bit of sour cream and a lot , like a tablespoon of onion powder. and baked them on parchment paper till crispy. Oh you do have to turn them over at least once while baking cause the part touching the paper stays wet longer. Flipping it allows it to dry all the way through.

My Zucchine plant is producing fruit already, i'm so excited and happy. I could eat zucchini just fried in butter. or just sliced and dipped in onion dip.

Or, cut them into fourths, the long way for long wedges, just spread some oil or butter on them , sprinkle some salt and pepper and grill 'em. They taste sweet when grilled. Or roasted with onion and causliflowe and squash. Mmm, i'm getting hungry!

Those sound delicious! Will have to give them a try!

Mackenzie 07-13-2013 05:15 PM

Wow! Thanks so much!!! Things I never thought of doing with zucchini....love the roasted idea and the grilled ideas from metga and the zucchini noodles too!!! Thanks everyone!

Charski 07-13-2013 07:11 PM

Mock apple pie. Stuffed zucchini (ground beef or sausage, cheese, onions, kind of like a meatloaf but stuff it into the halved and hollowed out zucchini). Zucchini pickles. Zucchini cake. Zucchini muffins. Mmmm, that's all I got for now! :D

cdn_gal 07-13-2013 07:16 PM

Make relish! That reminds me, I still have 1 frozen bag shredded, sitting in the freezer still from last year! :yummy: Guess I'll be making some more relish this week-end! :laugh:

Mackenzie 07-13-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16513928)
Mock apple pie. Stuffed zucchini (ground beef or sausage, cheese, onions, kind of like a meatloaf but stuff it into the halved and hollowed out zucchini). Zucchini pickles. Zucchini cake. Zucchini muffins. Mmmm, that's all I got for now! :D

Sounds so good Charski.......thanks for the suggestions.

W.Jones 07-13-2013 07:31 PM

I slice mine pretty thick, maybe a 1/2 " the quickly sauté, then pour pizza sauce over and dust generously with mozzarella check, let it melt. yum yum... takes 5 minutes tops.

airforcemom 07-13-2013 07:39 PM

I had 2 the other day, I cut them in half scooped out a little of the insides, put some sliced Roma tomatoes on top, sprinkled with a little Italian seasoning, drizzled with olive oil, topped with mozzarella cheese & baked 'em. Yummy stuff!

hostamomma 07-13-2013 07:40 PM

When I have larger zucchini, I half them, scoop out the middle, and fill the "boats"...stuff them with sausage and cheese, or a meatloaf mix. Bake until done. Yummy!

Kismet311 07-13-2013 08:12 PM

There was a recipe for zucchini parmesan thingies on my facebook page today...they looked good. Wait, I found it! Healthy Summer Side Dishes Recipes : Cooking Channel

Bar10der 07-14-2013 12:59 AM

Zucchini quiche!

Peel and slice the zucchinis and cook it in a pan w/ butter, add an egg or 2, shredded cheese, and some chinese mustard.

Pam a pie plate and bake at 350 till it's set. :yummy:

Madam De Leon 07-14-2013 02:40 AM

Shred and add to meatloaf.

Use a julienne peeler on just the green skin to make zuchinni pasta (saute in butter or olive oil until just bendy enough to be twirl-able). Then cut up the rest of the zuchinni to make zucchini cobbler filling (Mine is sweetened with stevia so it's LC. I've thought about simmering the mixture long enough to make it really soft, then mashing/blending to make a LC applesauce substitute)

August Moon 07-14-2013 02:45 AM

I just had the last of my vegetable soup tonight featuring....ta daaaa: Zucchini (and some yellow squash).

rosethorns 07-14-2013 06:03 AM

Peeled and shredded to use like applesauce in LC baked good yummy.

These are really great threads.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...c-recipes.html

Wonderful recipes.

Mackenzie 07-14-2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kismet311 (Post 16513993)
There was a recipe for zucchini parmesan thingies on my facebook page today...they looked good. Wait, I found it! Healthy Summer Side Dishes Recipes : Cooking Channel

Thanks for the website! Lots of good ideas there......:) I bookmarked it!

Mackenzie 07-14-2013 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16514282)
Peeled and shredded to use like applesauce in LC baked good yummy.

These are really great threads.

Wonderful recipes.

Thanks for the links.......:)

rosethorns 07-14-2013 06:24 AM

Mackenzie how is your husband doing sweetie? He has a very tough road.

Mackenzie 07-14-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16514305)
Mackenzie how is your husband doing sweetie? He has a very tough road.

He is doing better...out working in the yard...his energy levels seem to be returning but his appetite is still not that great. He goes for hyperbaric chamber treatments starting this Wednesday....30 treatments in all so they can do dental work on him. His jawbone was damaged from the radiation and they are afraid to pull his one tooth that broke because they could literally break his jaw. He has two teeth in the back that broke from the treatments. Thanks for asking......

Kateee 07-14-2013 06:35 AM

For the non LC'ers in your house.

Google Zapple Pie

ljguitar 07-14-2013 07:47 AM

Hi Mackenzi…

I'd give them to the neighbors. I'm not a Z fan...

°

Mackenzie 07-14-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljguitar (Post 16514423)
Hi Mackenzi…

I'd give them to the neighbors. I'm not a Z fan...

°

The zucchini are huge!!!! I'm going to cook with one and give the other two away.........