Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
One time my MIL gave us a zucchini that was big enough to be a baseball bat. I didn't know if I should cook it or recruit a little league team in the neighorhood
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
What about zucchini noodles with clam sauce or spaghetti sauce on top? Or KevinPa's mock apple pie recipe?
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Mackenzie
WOE: Lower Carb
Start Date: Restart 9/13/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
What about zucchini noodles with clam sauce or spaghetti sauce on top? Or KevinPa's mock apple pie recipe?
Good ideas!!!

I'm going to fry some zucchini slices, dipped in italian bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and then top them with mozzarella cheese and spaghetti sauce. I think a zucchini bread with nuts for the other one and one for the neighbors.. Like I said, these zukes are huge!!!! I could literally play baseball with them....Lol
Mackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #34
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Zucchini are so easy to come by this time of year I wouldn't bother fixing a very big one. They aren't as good as the little ones.

The ones that get away from me and get big like that become chew toys for the dog.

The best ever zucchini are teeny tiny and have the blossom still on the end. Sauteed in olive oil or butter. Mmmmmmmm.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Widget's Zucchini Bread and/or Chocolate Zucchini Cake.

I'd definitely grate and freeze a bunch individually for bread/cake recipes later.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Zucchini are so easy to come by this time of year I wouldn't bother fixing a very big one. They aren't as good as the little ones.

The ones that get away from me and get big like that become chew toys for the dog.

The best ever zucchini are teeny tiny and have the blossom still on the end. Sauteed in olive oil or butter. Mmmmmmmm.
I agree with you Gina....I like the smaller zucchini and I wonder why my neighbor would let his zucchini get so large before picking them??? I'm grateful for his generosity and I hope to make some dinners from them.....tune in tomorrow.....Lol
Old 07-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #37

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
probably left for a trip and came back to fine the body snatcher sized fruit on the plant...
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pitlin
I saute some crumbled sausage with onions, mushrooms, and anything else I have on hand, melt in a block of creamcheese, let cool slightly and mix in an egg, then I half lengthwise and take out the seeds of the squash, fill it with the stuffing, pour a little tomato sauce over it and bake until done. I love to get big zucchini!
pitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tstarre
I love squash sauteed with bacon, onion, pepper then add it to my scrambled eggs in the morning. melt some cheese on top and I'm good to go for hours
tstarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
Baked Crispy Zucchini Rounds

When I saw this in the paper this morning, I thought of your post. It sounds great and should be easy enough to replace the breadcrumbs with pork rinds or parmesan. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to.

Here it is:

Baked Crispy Zucchini Rounds

When I want a fun yet hearty snack, I bake up a batch of crispy zucchini rounds. They’re easy to prepare, delicious and a novel way to create a nutritious snack – or meal addition – with all that zucchini from your garden.

To make the dish, rounds of zucchini are dipped into a ground chia seed and water mixture, and then coated with a breadcrumb mixture. Because stray chia liquid tends to make the dry mixture clump up, the breadcrumb mixture is divided into three batches. As one becomes clumped, move to a fresh batch.

Be forewarned: The zucchini will not coat evenly. Also, the undersides bake up a little darker than the tops. For even browning, turn over each zucchini slice halfway through baking.

Tips: Be sure to measure the chia seeds after they are ground.
If the dipping chia mixture gets too thick, gradually add drops of water.

The zucchini are delicious as is, or you can serve them with your favorite pesto or marinara sauce.

1 teaspoon olive oil
½ cup water
2 tablespoons ground chia seeds
½ cup breadcrumbs
¼ cup nutritional yeast
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon pepper
Zest from 1 large lemon, about 2 teaspoons
3 medium zucchini, about 1 pound, sliced in ½ inch rounds
6 large basil leaves, thinly sliced

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Pour the water into a small bowl; whisk in the ground chia seeds.

In a second bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder and pepper until combined. Add lemon zest, using your finger tips to distribute the zest throughout the mixture. Divide dry mixture among three bowls.

Drop several zucchini slices at a time into the chia mixture, coating both sides; drop zucchini into the breadcrumb mixture, pressing coating onto both sides. Lay each slice on a lightly oiled baking sheet. They can be close together, but not touching. Repeat to coat all the zucchini.

Bake until crispy and beginning to turn brown, 18-20 minutes. Turn tray once. Place zucchini on a serving platter; garnish with basil.

Makes 4 servings, 138 calories, 18 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #41

Gallery: pocahontas

You'll need:
2 x-large or 3 medium zucchini
2 cups panko breadcrumbs (sub for ground pork rinds!)
1 cup grated parmesan/parmesan-romano cheese
1 1/2 tsp dry Italian seasoning
1 tsp garlic salt
3 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup melted butter

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. This will allow for easy clean-up later. My baking rack was slightly larger than the baking pan that I used. I took care, and made certain that it was firmly in place before moving. Otherwise, fit the rack inside of the baking pan.

Remove the stem from either end, then cut the zucchini through the middle into two equal halves. Then, slice each piece lengthwise in half again. Lay on the cutting board, flat side down. Cut into 1/4-1/3 inch slices. No two zucchini's are the same, but, it's important that the pieces be the same width and length so, the fries will cook evenly.

On a plate, mix together the panko, parmesan, Italian seasoning and garlic salt until well blended.

Prepare the dredging ingredients in this order, zucchini fries, egg wash, and panko-parmesan crumbs. Liberally spray the baking rack with cooking spray to prevent sticking. If you're using a cookie sheet, you won't need to be quite as heavy handed, a light spritz with cooking spray will work.

Dip the zucchini in the egg wash then into the panko-parmesan breadcrumbs. Place side by side on the baking rack leaving equal space between each piece. Drizzle each with the melted butter.

Place into the preheated oven and bake for 16-18 minutes or until golden and crispy.

Allow to cool on the rack/pan for a couple of minutes before removing to a serving plate. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce

pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:00 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet311 View Post
There was a recipe for zucchini parmesan thingies on my facebook page today...they looked good. Wait, I found it! Healthy Summer Side Dishes Recipes : Cooking Channel
That looks really good. Change out the grated parmesan and bread crumbs for the parm and crushed pork rinds and it'd be perfect.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #43

These look great!!!! I will definitely try it when I get some smaller zucchini. I gave two of the zucchini's away....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post

You'll need:
1 tsp garlic salt
3 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup melted butter

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. This will allow for easy clean-up later. My baking rack was slightly larger than the baking pan that I used. I took care, and made certain that it was firmly in place before moving. Otherwise, fit the rack inside of the baking pan.

Remove the stem from either end, then cut the zucchini through the middle into two equal halves. Then, slice each piece lengthwise in half again. Lay on the cutting board, flat side down. Cut into 1/4-1/3 inch slices. No two zucchini's are the same, but, it's important that the pieces be the same width and length so, the fries will cook evenly.

On a plate, mix together the panko, parmesan, Italian seasoning and garlic salt until well blended.

Prepare the dredging ingredients in this order, zucchini fries, egg wash, and panko-parmesan crumbs. Liberally spray the baking rack with cooking spray to prevent sticking. If you're using a cookie sheet, you won't need to be quite as heavy handed, a light spritz with cooking spray will work.

Dip the zucchini in the egg wash then into the panko-parmesan breadcrumbs. Place side by side on the baking rack leaving equal space between each piece. Drizzle each with the melted butter.

Place into the preheated oven and bake for 16-18 minutes or until golden and crispy.

Allow to cool on the rack/pan for a couple of minutes before removing to a serving plate. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce
Old 07-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
That looks really good. Change out the grated parmesan and bread crumbs for the parm and crushed pork rinds and it'd be perfect.
That is the recipe I made the other day! It was delicious.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
I'm going to try this!

Zucchini and Feta Fritters – Low Carb and Gluten-Free
all day I dream about food recipe
Yield: About 12 fritters
Serving Size: 2 fritters

Golden brown zucchini fritters with the salty tang of feta cheese. A great way to use up zucchini and a perfect low carb appetizer or side dish.
Ingredients
2 cups finely shredded zucchini
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup golden flax seed meal
2 tbsp coconut flour
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground marjoram
3/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup crumbled feta
1/4 cup scallions, chopped
2 large eggs
6 tbsp oil or butter (I used grapeseed)
1/4 cup Greek yogurt for garnish (optional)

Instructions
Place zucchini in a fine-mesh sieve and sprinkle with salt. Toss a few times and let drain 1 hour. Then press on zucchini to release as much moisture as possible. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine flax seed meal, coconut flour, oregano, marjoram, pepper and salt. Stir in feta and scallions, then stir in drained zucchini and eggs until thoroughly combined. Form mixture into patties about 3 inches in diameter and 3/4 inch thick. You should get 12 to 14 patties. In large skillet, heat half of the oil or butter over medium high heat until shimmering. Place half the zucchini fritters into the pan and cook until browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and repeat with remaining oil and remaining fritters. Serve warm. Notes Serves 6. Each serving has 6.3 g of carbs and 3.3 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 3 g per serving.

Jen
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #46

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post

You'll need:
1 tsp garlic salt
3 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup melted butter

Directions:

Oh, yes! These are delicious. I made some a couple of weeks ago, and the houseful of skepticsa and zuke haters ate it up! I used pork rinds instead of panko.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
they all sound yummy !

I agree that Widget's zucchini is awesome ! going to make myself some tomorrow
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MisticalMisty
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Start Date: January 13
I like to make a compound butter of soy sauce, fresh garlic and butter. Then..cook the zukes in it on the stove. Yumm-o
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote