Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/137.7/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
Golden Milk

Y'know, this is my third day drinking "golden milk" and I think I enjoy it. I made some changes to the "original recipe". It initially calls for making turmeric paste with water and black pepper, then you stir a small portion of that paste into warm milk with a dash of healthy oil and honey. It doesn't have much taste but it is a bit bitter. I first tried it with my kefir as a cold drink but didn't keep up with it. But I made a new batch and instead of plain water, I used homemade ginger tea. I basically steeped 3 T of finely chopped ginger in 1/2 water. That minor change makes a HUGE difference in the taste of this. And I use a blend of coconut and almond milk and a touch of stevia to sweeten it. I've drunk it hot for the past three days , despite the summer warmth. the first day, it was so good, I had three cups. Yesterday I had two cups cause I overmeasured my milk , LOL, and this morning I'm having a cup for breakfast.

I first thought about taking turmeric to help with tinnitus, but I didn't keep drinking it long enough. Lately I've been reading about all the wonderful benefits of different spices for pain, inflammation and health, and decided to give it a shot again.

On the list of potent spices are: ( all info from Wikipedia)
Turmeric - The active compound curcumin is known to have a wide range of biological effects including anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antitumour, antibacterial, and antiviral activities

Ginger - In a 2010 study, daily consumption of ginger was shown to help ease muscle pain associated with exercise by 25%.

Cinnamon - Two studies have shown that including cinnamon and cinnamon extract in the diet may help type 2 diabetics to control blood glucose levels. Ceylon Cinnamon is more expensive and has less of the coumarin compound found in Cassia Cinnamon that liver sensitive people need to avoid.

Cayenne - There is no evidence showing that weight loss is directly correlated with ingesting capsaicin, but there is a positive correlation between ingesting capsaicin and a decrease in weight regain. The effects of capsaicin are said to cause "a shift in substrate oxidation from carbohydrate to fat oxidation".[61] This leads to a decrease in appetite as well as a decrease in food intake.[61] Even though ingestion of capsaicin causes thermogenesis, the increase in body temperature does not affect weight loss. However, both oral and gastrointestinal exposure to capsaicin increases satiety and reduces energy as well as fat intake.

Cloves - the clove buds have antioxidant properties, but should be used sparingly.

Nutmeg
- In its freshly ground (from whole nutmegs) form, nutmeg contains myristicin, a monoamine oxidase inhibitor and psychoactive substance. *( I found this interesting as MOA are often used for depression, panic disorders and anxiety, I wonder if this in low culinary doses, would be calming , like tea)

There are many more spices that have some sort of effect on the body, but I listed these because I could imagine them being part of a spice blend to make the golden milk with.

I think the flavor improved dramatically when I used steeped ginger for the water and I've heard of chai tea being a spicy beverage, so I might try to make my golden milk into sort of a spicy Chia Golden milk, maybe.

Any suggestions? How do you drink your golden milk and why.

ETA:
1/4 cup turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup water
Simmer powder in water for 8 min on medium heat till it becomes a thick paste. store in a glass jar, let cool before storing it in the fridge for up to 40 days

Golden milk
8 oz of milk of your choice ( almond, coconut, dairy)
1/4 t turmeric paste
1/2 t healthy oil ( almond, ghee, coconut, etc)
honey or sweetener to taste

Warm the milk and whisk or stir in the turmeric paste, oil and sweetener till it is warm and golden, serve warm or chilled.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 07-12-2013 at 09:34 AM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Sounds interesting! I've made a drink during the winter that has coconut milk, turmeric, and a few of the other spices you mentioned. I've not made the paste before though. You mentioned it can be stored up to 40 days in the fridge. Does it have to set up in the fridge before you use it? Sounds like something I will be experimenting with!
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Almost sounds like a recipe for chai tea, all except the turmeric and cayenne that is. Turmeric has been know to be a healthy spice to add anywhere you can to your diet. I've been fond of it for years and add it to a lot of veggie dishes and meat curries.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_in_wonderland View Post
Does it have to set up in the fridge before you use it? Sounds like something I will be experimenting with!
No, you can use it immediately, but I found that the paste is very hot when I pour it into the glass cup, so I let it cool off on the counter before putting it into the fridge. I use glass because this stuff seems to stain things easily.

buttoni, it DOES sound like chia tea doesn't it. Hmm, I don't see why the turmeric couldn't be added to chai tea itself.

I notice that at the bottom of the cup, it's a bit gritty, I think the turmeric powder settles out a bit. I strained the pepper out with the ginger, so I don't think there is much left.

The piperine in the black pepper makes the good stuff in turmeric and green tea absorb better, though I can't imagine spicy green tea, I suppose you could brew some strong tea and use that as the paste water like I did with ginger.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
just remember to count the carbs. turmeric is about the carbiest spice of all, weighing in at 3 grams per tablespoon or 12 grams per 1/4 cup.
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #6

For Golden Milk, you are only using 1/4 teaspoon of the paste per cup

1 Tablespoon=3 teaspoons

But if you were using pure turmeric powder instead of paste, then the carb count for the turmeric used for an 8 oz serving of golden milk might look like this:

3g carb/Tablespoon = 1g carb /teaspoon =0.25g carb per 1/4 teaspoon serving size

And it will be less because some of that volume is the water to make the paste.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #7

Even though it is summer time, I really am enjoying this hot drink. I don't know if it's "doing anything" specifically good for me, but at least it's tasty. I don't know if I'll get through the entire 1/2 cup paste amount I made in a month so I'm gonna freeze some of it. I hope freezing doesn't change any of the helpful properties of the spice.