Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   chinese buffet coconut shrimp (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/807785-chinese-buffet-coconut-shrimp.html)

jbatchelor 07-11-2013 10:22 AM

chinese buffet coconut shrimp

I am in search for a recipe for the creamy coconut shrimp that is served on the Chinese buffet--it is a sweet coconut creamy sauce that the shrimp is in-the shrimp may be lightly breaded but I could live without that part maybe-just would love to know how to fix this dish-it is one of my favorites and hopefully someone has figured out how to lowcarb it for themselves too? thanks in advance!

Dottie 07-11-2013 05:56 PM

How about coconut milk (canned, not the "beverage") and sweetener?

tulipsandroses 07-11-2013 09:41 PM

I've never had creamy coconut shrimp, I love all things coconut so I might have to try this myself. I found this recipe on Youtube.

I think it can be easily decarbed. They use condensed milk so you will have to make up your own low carb condensed milk. My personal favorite LC condensed milk is Crema Media with Tagatose, but there are few other recipes around that you could use to make LC condensed milk.

jbatchelor 07-12-2013 05:48 AM

Thank you both for your reply-I will be trying to experiment for sure-I have to get some tagatose-have wanted to try that anyway!

dianafoot 07-12-2013 06:16 AM

I've never seen coconut shrimp on a Chinese buffet, but here is an amazing recipe that we make often. It does have peanut in the sauce, though, so may not be exactly what you're looking for. I think this is more of a Thai flavored dish.

Shrimp In Coconut Peanut Curry Sauce
Blend, then heat until bubbly:
½ can coconut milk
¼ cup peanut butter
½ cup chicken broth
1 tbsp. red curry powder
1 tsp ginger powder or fresh ginger

Marinate shrimp in
¼ cup soy sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ginger powder
Red pepper flakes

Cook pasta (I used a mixture of Dreamfield’s angel hair and zoodles)
Stir pasta into peanut sauce

Add:
½ cup green peas
Cook shrimp and marinade briefly until shrimp are done
Stir shrimp into noodles and serve

buttoni 07-12-2013 01:03 PM

Found this one on YiReservation website. Just use more cream for the condensed milk and omit the cornstarch (or use something else) and it should be OK

Creamy Coconut Shrimp Buffet Style

Total Time: 30 minutes

Serving Size: 2 Servings

Ingredients

1lb medium or large shrimp
½ cup coconut cream
2 tbsp heavy cream or whole milk
2 tbsp condensed milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp rum
1 tsp salt
corn starch

Instructions

Shell and de-vein shrimp. Rinse the shrimp and pat dry the shrimp with paper towel and season with salt. In a measuring cup, combine and mix well the coconut cream, cream or milk, and vanilla extract. Melt the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add shrimp and pan fry until both sides are golden brown. Around 2 minutes for each side. Splash some rum and cook the shrimp for another minute. Set aside the shrimp in the same pan.

In a separate pan, add the coconut cream mixture and cook over low heat. Add condensed milk and stir to mix. When the coconut mixture starts to bubble, add additional sugar to taste. Let the mixture simmer for about 3 minutes until the liquid gets reduced by 1/3. Add some diluted corn starch to thicken the cream if necessary. Optionally, you can add Mayonnaise in place of corn starch to create a richer flavor. Transfer the cream mixture to the shrimp. Turn on the heat and stir the shrimp to incorporate the coconut cream. Turn off the heat when the coconut mixture reaches the boiling point. Plate and serve the dish hot.

jbatchelor 07-12-2013 01:13 PM

Thanks Peggy-Now I have the written recipe for the you-tube video above! appreciate your effort very much!

Diana-where do you find red curry powder? I don't believe I have ever seen it or even seen it listed in a recipe-but then again-I am not a gourmet cook! sounds like a great recipe--I really like coconut and I think this sounds really good! thanks!

dianafoot 07-12-2013 06:48 PM

I found Red curry powder at our local grocery store--it's a sort of high-end store for around here called Harris Teeter, but it's not a specialty store. Found it in the Asian aisle.

jbatchelor 07-13-2013 05:42 AM

I found it at amazon-and added it my list-thanks for the info! always learning something here-and will be trying the recipe too! thanks again!

dianafoot 07-13-2013 04:06 PM

I was looking back over at my recipe and noticed that I said red curry "powder" twice. I meant to say red curry "paste". I'm sure that's much easier to find! Sorry... :o