Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Which Egg White Protein for BTF mix? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/807764-egg-white-protein-btf-mix.html)

Grammy G 07-10-2013 11:27 PM

Which Egg White Protein for BTF mix?

I'm almost out of the pea protein powder. I'd like to try another protein mix and see if it will make the BTF mix taste different.

I can't have dairy so the whey products are out. Does anyone use the egg white protein powders and if so which one do you like?

buttoni 07-11-2013 05:04 PM

I've been using the NOW brand of egg white protein. Comes in an orange plastic tub.

Grammy G 07-17-2013 12:08 AM

Thank you Buttoni. That is what I'll order.

Grammy G 08-15-2013 12:04 AM

Buttoni.. do you order the unflavored or the vanilla flavor?

JHoberer 08-15-2013 12:20 AM

I just bought that too but haven't tried it yet. Deb El is expensive for what you get!

watcher513 08-15-2013 12:49 AM

I'd think that unflavored would be the way to go, then you could flavor whatever you're making with anything you like and it would also be good for anything savory.

buttoni 08-15-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grammy G (Post 16559906)
Buttoni.. do you order the unflavored or the vanilla flavor?

I always buy the plain. Didn't even know egg white protein came in flavored.

pocahontas 08-16-2013 10:17 AM

So are people subbing the PP & dried egg whites with egg white pp? Is that what is going on? Does it work the same?

watcher513 08-17-2013 01:09 AM

As far as I know, they're subbing the NOW brand egg white protein for the Deb El egg whites.

sherrymyra 08-17-2013 10:51 AM

I'm wondering on this too.

I just looked on Netrition at the "NOW" brand of egg protein powder, and the only ingredient listed as in it is "Eggwhite Powder". So it sounds like the two would be interchangeable.

The egg protein powder is alot cheaper than egg white powder.

If this is the case then I will get the egg protein instead.

Grammy G 08-17-2013 12:33 PM

Actually, I am trying to find a substitute for the whey/pea protein powder.. not the egg whites. I don't care for the flavor of the pea protein and can't use whey. But, if the egg white protein powder is nothing different than the egg white powder then that won't work.

What does everyone else do that doesn't use the whey protein powder in the BTF mix. I'm getting ready to place an order and now I'm confused. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherrymyra (Post 16563085)
I'm wondering on this too.

I just looked on Netrition at the "NOW" brand of egg protein powder, and the only ingredient listed as in it is "Eggwhite Powder". So it sounds like the two would be interchangeable.

The egg protein powder is alot cheaper than egg white powder.

If this is the case then I will get the egg protein instead.

ncgirl 08-17-2013 04:15 PM

Grammy, if you don't mind me asking - what do you dislike about the pea protein powder? I've been eating a frozen dessert that utilizes it, and was considering purchasing some...

Thanks!!

Grammy G 08-17-2013 04:33 PM

NC GIRL: I can't put my finger on the flavor that I don't care for. It's not really that bad but I'm wondering if it changes the flavor of the BTF recipes. I used egg white protein years ago in shakes and really liked it. I just thought I'd experiment to see if it gives the recipes a better flavor. My husband did not know it was pea protein and did like it in his smoothies. I don't want to discourage you from buying it. You may like it just fine because I know others do. I may end up buying it again if the egg protein is lacking.

Grammy G.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncgirl (Post 16563387)
Grammy, if you don't mind me asking - what do you dislike about the pea protein powder? I've been eating a frozen dessert that utilizes it, and was considering purchasing some...

Thanks!!

ncgirl 08-17-2013 05:51 PM

Thanks! Incidentally, I'm trying the egg protein powder again - I used to make the 'protein cookie' with it, but didn't like the...egginess :). Now I'm trying it for a gluc-pudding type thing. I've been using casein protein, but thought I'd try something new. Thanks for the feedback!