Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bl0nd3y
Stats: 4'11 height<original weight 110lbs <current 94lbs>
WOE: Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 23/08/2013
is there a Low Carb Golden syrup?

Hi everyone, appologies if i have posted in the wrong section. I just had a look through netrition and have seen the "syrups" page but cant find what im looking for, and dont know if it even exists but im after a Low Carb Version of a product we get here in Australia called "Golden Syrup". I assumed it was the same as Corn syrup in the USA, but have come across this -

Corn syrup is a syrupy sweetener that is made through the production of cornstarch. In fact, when it was first introduced to the public over 100 years ago, it was often sold as a health food because it originally came from corn. The sweetener is primarily glucose and has a very mild flavor. It inhibits crystallization and, as a result, is very useful in the production of candies, jams and frostings because it greatly reduces the likelihood of ending up with a grainy product.

Golden syrup has a similar color to corn syrup – light gold – but is an entirely different product. Also called “light treacle,” golden syrup is an inverted sugar syrup, made from sugar cane juice that has been concentrated and is about 25% sweeter than sugar. It has a slightly toasty edge to its sweetness that gives it a unique flavor in the world of sweeteners. This is quite unlike corn syrup, which has a flavor so mild as to easily blend in with just about anything, leaving only sweetness behind. Golden syrup can also help to inhibit crystallization of sugar when used in cooking and baking.

Some confusion arises between the two products because corn syrup is not readily available in all markets, particularly in international ones, and golden syrup is almost exclusively found in specialty store in the US. The flavors are different, but the two products can be used interchangeably in cooking and baking because they have much the same properties.

the main reason i would like a low carb Golden Syrup is because im hoping to re-create a really intense caramel flavour, as iv copied a few recipes from the boards here and alot of them are nice, but arnt quiet caramel in flavour.

Any assistance or suggestions would be great, my main purpose for the caramel flavour is to made a caramel fudge
bl0nd3y is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
We're able to get Lyle's Golden Syrup in the states, but I don't know of a lc sub. I used to make an amazing cake with Lyle's, but those days are over.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Im in NZ and I would LOVE a LC golden syrup.

However a google serch suggests there is nothing flavoured like golden syrup, than golden syrup

Guess it'll be one of those occasional blue moon treats when I reach maintainance.
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
I wonder if Torani or DaVinci sugar-free caramel syrup would work. They wouldn't have the "thickness" of golden syrup so I don't know if they would work in your fudge recipe. Could you share the ingredients in the fudge recipe?
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
Golden syrup is made of sugar so you won't get a low carb version. An alternative with no fructose is rice malt syrup (available at Coles). It has same carbs/cals but a little healthier.
Hot Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
no low carb product I am aware of is the least bit like golden syrup either in flavor or texture. there are very good things that would make a similar result, but nothing that will recreate that exact thing if that's your passion.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Read Kevinpa's recipe here some time back. I've never made it so I can't speak to how good this is. But his recipes are usually FANTASTIC, so I imagine it's pretty close to real corn syrup: Isomalt Mock light corn syrup experiment
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Read Kevinpa's recipe here some time back. I've never made it so I can't speak to how good this is. But his recipes are usually FANTASTIC, so I imagine it's pretty close to real corn syrup: Isomalt Mock light corn syrup experiment
I made this way back when Kevin was introducing us to this. This is so close to HFCS ( high frutose corn syrup ) you could use in a recipe. Kevinpa ( awesome chef)
I hope you can find his ingredients.

I'm thinking yr golden surup is proably the same as our corn syrup. Good luck

Thanks Peggy this is what I was thinking too.

Last edited by rosethorns; 07-07-2013 at 08:42 AM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Here's a nice thread where Kevinpa used his isomalt syrup to make pecan pie. Good discussion follows about sweeteners and synergy. I am thinking that the addition of tagatose might take this syrup to a new level since tagatose caramelizes like sugar.

Pecan Pie Anyone?
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

As I read the definition of golden syrup in your first post, it sounds an awful like cane syrup, which is made from sugar cane juice that has been boiled down to make a golden or amber syrup that is very sweet. In fact, cane syrup is a precursor to making white sugar and molasses, I believe, where they dry the syrup until crystals form and then centrifuge it to separate the crystals and molasses. Do you think golden syrup might be the same thing as cane syrup? Last time I checked (a couple of years ago), you could still get cane syrup at WalMart. Of course, then would have to come the de-carbed version, once we know what the real thing is like!
Old 07-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Torani makes a sugar free cane syrup, but it is clear and I suspect, just like a simple syrup. I'd try that with a touch of blackstrap molasses. It might just do the job!

I make a simple syrup that we love by combining equal parts erythritol and xylitol and boiling down until syrupy and thick (no water,except to thin it a little if it gets too tacky). Normally, if I want low carb honey, I add a teaspoon of honey to a cup of this and it really tastes and behaves like honey!

I would try adding a few drops of molasses to the above recipe for simple syrup to see if that would give that little toasty, golden edge to make it like Lyle's. I would also try adding in some tagatose (equal parts of each sweetener) because tagatose caramelizes and might add another layer of flavor.

Now you've gotten me into experimentation mode!

Last edited by dianafoot; 07-07-2013 at 02:15 PM..
Old 07-08-2013, 05:35 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bl0nd3y
Stats: 4'11 height<original weight 110lbs <current 94lbs>
WOE: Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 23/08/2013
Thank-you kindly for all your great responses, your time is greatly appreciated and your answers are very valued. I have looked at kevinpas recipes - may he rest in peace, but may i say what a magnificent, creative, talented man kevin appeared to be, so passionate for assisting those of a low carb lifestyle, almost a low carb hero!!

unfortunatley isomalt does some very horrible things to my digestive system, but i was thinking as my use for the golden syrup or corn syrup is more for the flavor it provides, as iv noticed recipes for caramel seem to always include brown sugar, corn syrup / golden syrup, butter, and a pinch of salt, so my aim was to "mimic" this flavor for the aim of a caramel flavour, so texture is not much of an issue.

It may be an easier option to do as chocolate rose suggested and simply use the caramel flavoured syrups by divinchi / torani - i usually use divichi syrups, i have white choc, banana, pineapple, kahlua - but iv just ordered the caramel torani syrup

Chocolate Rose im yet to find a good low carb (and low calorie) fudge recipe. Iv seen heaps of yummy low carb ones, but all of them seem to have heaps of butter / cream etc, and i try to keep the calories in check, so im doing a little experimenting at the moment, but ill let you know if i manage to create the "magic" lol

i was also thinking in regards to golden syrup, since it has such a difference taste compared to maple, and in a way provides a hint of flavor in caramel, it would be good if Capella or a similar "flavoring / essence" company managed to achieve the golden syrup / corn syrup flavoring.
bl0nd3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Have you seen this thread for fudge?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ein-fudge.html
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
After digging deep into my pantry and tasting Lyle's again, I'm going to go with whoever said that for pure taste reasons, caramel Torani or Davinci, used sparingly, will probably be the best substitute. Without sugar alcohols, you're not going to find anything that will be remotely the same in texture.

Light corn syrup to me has no flavor of its own, is just mildly sweet, and I'd only ever use it as an ingredient in a recipe. Golden or cane syrup has a definite flavor of sugar cane and very light caramel.
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
golden syrup = cane juice = jus de canne = cane syrup = sugar cane juice = light treacle Notes: This amber-colored liquid sweetener is popular among British, Caribbean, and Creole cooks. It's made by evaporating sugar cane juice until it's thick and syrupy. Lyle's Golden Syrup and Steen's Pure Cane Syrup are popular brands. Substitutes: Combine two parts light corn syrup plus one part molasses OR equal parts honey and corn syrup OR maple syrup (This is thinner, and not as sweet.) OR dark corn syrup (This is thnner and not as sweet as golden syrup. If you like, try reducing the corn syrup in a saucepan to thicken it.) OR light corn syrup (This is thnner and not as sweet or flavorful as golden syrup. If you like, try reducing the corn syrup in a saucepan to thicken it.)
Cook's Thesaurus
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:41 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Thanks, Pami, for the information.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
Start Date: January 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
I make a simple syrup that we love by combining equal parts erythritol and xylitol and boiling down until syrupy and thick (no water,except to thin it a little if it gets too tacky). Normally, if I want low carb honey, I add a teaspoon of honey to a cup of this and it really tastes and behaves like honey!
Good to know. I ordered the Monin unflavored syrup from Netrition (it's sweetened with erythritol and sucralose) because I wasn't confident that I could make my own with good results (read about some failures in various online LC forums).

Thanks for the instructions!
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth2013 View Post
Good to know. I ordered the Monin unflavored syrup from Netrition (it's sweetened with erythritol and sucralose) because I wasn't confident that I could make my own with good results (read about some failures in various online LC forums).

Thanks for the instructions!
I love the Monin o'Free syrups--I think they're much better than the other brands. Adding a little molasses (1/2 tsp per cup) will give a little cane syrup flavor. I bet that adding a little caramel flavoring would give you the invert caramelized flavor like golden syrup.