Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   quark! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/807530-quark.html)

dianafoot 07-06-2013 12:11 PM

quark!

I just made some lovely quark--it is unbelievably rich and silky. Anybody have some ideas about how to use it?

Soobee 07-06-2013 01:04 PM

I've seen it used in several recipes in =Protein Pow(d)er blog.

QueenBacon 07-06-2013 05:15 PM

what is it?

dianafoot 07-06-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenBacon (Post 16502920)
what is it?

quark is a very light cheese, sort of like goat cheese in flavor and consistency. But it's ever so much more delicate than goat cheese and more subtle in flavor. It is a little bit tart like yogurt, and very, very creamy without being fatty like sour cream. That's about the best I can do.

The only thing I have found so far to use it on is as a spread on crackers or to dollop onto a good artisan greens salad. I'm sure there must be other wonderful uses for it.

dianafoot 07-06-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

what is it?

You can make it by stirring 1/2 cup buttermilk into 2 cups of milk and letting it sit at room temperature for 48 hours. Then strain in a cheesecloth lined strainer, and you have this wonderful, silky, delicate cheese. So easy!

Barbo 07-06-2013 09:41 PM

Quark

I make this often, but just think of it as thick buttermilk.
It can be used like sour cream. Love it!

Made it with 2 cups of Hood Dairy 2% milk and while it wasn't
as thick as using 4% whole milk, it tasted wonderful.

dianafoot 07-07-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 16503192)
I make this often, but just think of it as thick buttermilk.
It can be used like sour cream. Love it!

Made it with 2 cups of Hood Dairy 2% milk and while it wasn't
as thick as using 4% whole milk, it tasted wonderful.

Is the Hood Dairy milk low carb? I made mine with regular 2% milk and it is almost the consistency of goat cheese.

DH spread some on his favorite crackers, and he who hates cheese spread on anything kept coming back for more. Will try another batch and coat with herbs like my favorite herbed goat cheese. I want to try putting a little cream in the bottom of a ramekin, covering that with a tablespoon of quark, then break an egg into it, sprinkle with Italian cheese and bake. Will report back.

Barbo 07-07-2013 03:19 PM

Quark

Diana the Hood Dairy 2% is very low carb.
1 c. += 3 grams carb, 70 calories

Barbo 07-07-2013 07:20 PM

Diana

How was the baked egg in quark?

Pami 07-07-2013 09:25 PM

"Raspberry & Quark Cheese Summer Cake with Me Mate Sacha"

If you Google ^that^, the first result will show you the recipe-
and very detailed pictures. Pinterest says I pinned that a year
ago- never had any need for it until now. And it's starting to
look kinda good :)

dianafoot 07-08-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pami (Post 16504383)
"Raspberry & Quark Cheese Summer Cake with Me Mate Sacha"

If you Google ^that^, the first result will show you the recipe-
and very detailed pictures. Pinterest says I pinned that a year
ago- never had any need for it until now. And it's starting to
look kinda good :)

Just googled that cake--it looks yummy. thanks!

Pami 07-08-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

what is it?

I don't know if this helps or not, but I've read that you
can sub Greek yogurt in recipes that call for quark.

Soobee 07-09-2013 04:51 AM

Or cottage cheese.

dianafoot 07-09-2013 05:00 AM

I'm making another batch and will try more things. The consistency is almost like cheesecake and I thought a little lemon and a whiff of sweetener might make a wonderful, refreshing cheesecake-like snack. It is so good just to eat plain, it's almost not worth "fixing up". :yummy:

Patience 07-09-2013 05:57 AM

I love quark with blueberries . . . blueberries are not on my plan right now, but I sure recommend this if on your plan.

dianafoot 07-09-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella (Post 16506104)
I love quark with blueberries . . . blueberries are not on my plan right now, but I sure recommend this if on your plan.

oooh, yum! Gonna do that this morning!

dianafoot 07-09-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 16504279)
How was the baked egg in quark?

Delish!

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps47c2b14d.jpg

Fresh egg from a neighbor's chicken + homemade quark, garden tomatoes and lettuce, and homemade hot sauce. This is the life!

Barbo 07-10-2013 02:34 PM

DIANA

Pretty please the recipe:lol:

jlp2009 07-10-2013 02:46 PM

so this can be made with regular store bought buttermilk and low carb milk? I have low carb milk (Kroger brand) and I'll get some buttermilk and try it. Sounds yummy! Easier than yogurt too!
Thanks!

dianafoot 07-10-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 16508833)
Pretty please the recipe:lol:

I put it here--post # 1321
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ctures-45.html

dianafoot 07-10-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlp2009 (Post 16508849)
so this can be made with regular store bought buttermilk and low carb milk? I have low carb milk (Kroger brand) and I'll get some buttermilk and try it. Sounds yummy! Easier than yogurt too!
Thanks!

I haven't tried it with low carb milk, only with 2% milk and whole milk buttermilk. If you do it with low carb milk, let me know how it turns out. I get about 1/2 cup cheese per 2 cups milk + 1/2 cup buttermilk. The whey that drains out is good for making biscuits, quick breads, etc.

alonewithyou 07-19-2013 09:49 AM

I usually eat strawberry or raspberry quark with hwc. The kind we have in Norway is fat free and has a dry taste, so the hwc really makes it yum!

dianafoot 07-19-2013 12:09 PM

I keep trying it with fruit, salads, fruit purees, etc., but it's so good all by itself, it's hard to want to put anything with it!

The first quark I ever had was fat free and it was delicious, but I think this that I made with 2% milk is even better. Did anyone try it yet with Hood LC milk?

pooticus 07-19-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianafoot (Post 16503895)
Is the Hood Dairy milk low carb? I made mine with regular 2% milk and it is almost the consistency of goat cheese.

DH spread some on his favorite crackers, and he who hates cheese spread on anything kept coming back for more. Will try another batch and coat with herbs like my favorite herbed goat cheese. I want to try putting a little cream in the bottom of a ramekin, covering that with a tablespoon of quark, then break an egg into it, sprinkle with Italian cheese and bake. Will report back.

Diana that sounds amazing!!!! Please let us know, ok?

The quark sounds yum. I'd use it as Barbo suggests---a sour cream replacement.

Barbo, great idea with the Hood Milk. Do you suppose it would work with SoDelicious Coconut Milk? I would hate to poison us! All I have is the processed buttermilk?