Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Swerve or good old erythritol? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/807467-swerve-good-old-erythritol.html)

greybb1 07-05-2013 05:29 PM

Swerve or good old erythritol?

Going to buy one or the other and wondered what y'all thought.

I know Swerve is mostly erythritol, but is there a difference?

I use a mix of Splenda and Maltitol now and would like something lower in carbs.

Thanks!

greybb1 07-05-2013 06:47 PM

Well, I ended up buying both plus some EZ-sweetz

cfine 07-05-2013 07:29 PM

Swerve is my favorite brand, but I have bought other brands that worked also.

Chocolate Rose 07-05-2013 08:06 PM

I do a combo of erythritol and stevia glycerite most of the time. But, I also keep the "confectioners" Swerve on hand for recipes in which I need the erythritol to not be "crunchy". :)

Hot Potato 07-05-2013 09:21 PM

I ordered some swerve online (not available here in Australia). It arrived yesterday. I haven't used it in baking yet but I tasted some on my finger and there was a slight aftertaste :(

I have used erthyritol and it had a bad cooling aftertaste. I have posted in another thread about this, but I understand if you blend it to a powder and mix with stevia, the cooling taste is lessened.

I am really sensitive to aftertaste in alternative sweeteners :(

The only sweetener I have had with absolutely no aftertaste is Norbu (manufactured in Australia but available on Amazon I believe). It is an erythritol and monk fruit blend with very few calories and no carbs. I highly recommend it.

Chocolate Rose, can I ask what ratio of erythritol to stevia glycerite you use?? Does it eliminate the cooling effect? Thanks :)

Chocolate Rose 07-06-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Potato (Post 16501966)
Chocolate Rose, can I ask what ratio of erythritol to stevia glycerite you use?? Does it eliminate the cooling effect? Thanks :)

If you check Maria's blog, she has all the measurements. I'm to the point that i don't measure. I just throw in the erythritol and a couple of drops of stevia. I'm usually only making treats for myself for a couple of days, so not making big batches of anything. I don't notice any cooling effect. There was only one recipe that I've noticed it and that may have been before I started adding the stevia glycerite.

greybb1 07-06-2013 08:53 AM

Do y'all count the carbs in erythritol? If so how many?

Soobee 07-06-2013 11:29 AM

I don't. It's 0 on the glycemic index.

sherrymyra 07-06-2013 07:42 PM

I usually use erthyritol but did get some swerve and I really notice an aftertaste with it. Hopefully I will get over it.

greybb1 07-06-2013 08:03 PM

I plan on mixing it with maltitol and splenda, so hopefully there won't be much of an aftertaste. I love maltitol and splenda and I don't have the usual aftereffects of maltitol because I eat it on a regular basis. Just don't like all the carbs it adds.

I hate the cooling effect of erythritol so I'm hoping mixing it with other sweeteners will help with that.

Barbo 07-06-2013 09:37 PM

Just baked my CoolWhip Cake

with Swerve, made a berry topping with the Swerve as well.
Very sweet, kinda lingers on the back of tongue as does sugar.
I think it does an excellent job with baking and cooking.
The price is soooo high.:sad:

JHoberer 07-06-2013 10:11 PM

They have a LOT of sales at their website. Right now is an especially good one.

greybb1 07-07-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHoberer (Post 16503202)
They have a LOT of sales at their website. Right now is an especially good one.

Ooooh. I wish I had seen that before I bought the one bag.

Divabunny 07-08-2013 11:44 PM

I liked swerve until I started baking with it, and I just can't get past that cool aftertaste. It also tasted slightly bitter to me in my coffee, weird. My go to "sugar" now is Tagatose - tastes JUST. LIKE. SUGAR. It's just so dang expensive, like swerve but to me soooo worth it.