Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Sofrito "Burgers" (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/807446-sofrito-burgers.html)

buttoni 07-05-2013 10:33 AM

Sofrito "Burgers"

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...utt/002-68.jpg
My husband wanted to have grilled burgers for the 4th of July so thatís what we did. He, of course, had his on ciabatta buns. I was originally planning on using one of my low-carb sandwich buns for mine, but decided to eat mine bunless instead, as shown above with a nice microwaved turnip drenched in butter on the side. Although two patties made for a prettier picture, the days of my being able to eat 2 burger patties are long gone. I was only able to eat one of the patties shown and hubby ate the second for me. I keep finding new ways to use this wonderful sofrito condiment. Havenít put this sauce on anything I havenít liked it on! I hope you enjoy these as much as we did.

INGREDIENTS:

2 lb. 90% ground beef, preferably grass-fed
8 tsp. bacon grease (omit if using 70% beef; only 4 tsp. if using 80% beef)
8 T. Sofrito: (see recipe below)
2 ripe avocados

DIRECTIONS: Prepare your charcoal fire. While the fire is getting ready, make the Sofrito in a food processor or blender according to that recipeís directions. Using a fork or your hands, blend the bacon grease uniformly into the meat. Form into eight 4-oz. patties. When fire is hot, grill meat patties until done to your liking. Plate the meat, slicing 1/4 avocado onto each patty. Spoon 1 T. Sofrito on top of each meat patty either as shown above. If using on buns, you might prefer to spread the sofrito on the meat first and then top with the sliced avocado. Serve with your favorite sides or on low-carb sandwich buns with a slice of tomato and/or whatever extra toppings you like.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 8 servings, each contains:

351 calories
29.4 g fat
4.58 g carbs, 3.14 g fiber, 1.44 g NET CARBS
21 g protein
96 mg sodium
250 mg potassium

13% RDA Vitamin C, 9% copper, 30% iron, <10% all other macronutrients

SOFRITO:

Ĺ bunch cilantro
4 large green onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves
2 oz. red bell pepper (or green)
ľ c. parsley
ľ c. extra virgin olive oil (more if you want a thinner sauce)

Pulse in a food processor or blender until chopped and blended and looks about like pickle relish in texture. Store leftover sofrito in jar in the fridge.

KCSoccer 07-07-2013 04:50 AM

The burgers look scrumptious!

I've been wanting to try your Sofrito recipe - I finally got around to making a batch yesterday. Wow! I served it with grilled lamb tips and grilled chicken thighs. It was wonderful with both meats. I also grilled (in my grill stir-fry pan) green and yellow zucchini, red bell pepper and red onions. We ate dollops of the sofrito on top of the veggie mixture, too. What else can I use for a vehicle to deliver this sauce :)?

Thanks again for the wonderful recipe. I look forward to trying some of your Sofrito recipes as well.

buttoni 07-07-2013 07:09 AM

Glad you guys like it, KC. Isn't it good? I just wish I'd thought to combine these things years ago. Any of the individual ingredients have always been special to me, but to put them altogether....there just aren't words for the flavor Nirvana for me. I like a dab on scrambled eggs. It's good on Zoodles or spaghetti squash, with or without Parm on top. Great on grilled fish and shrimp, and chicken as you discovered. I even tossed some buttered, halved new potatoes with a smidge of it for hubby the other night and the taste I had was really good. Like I said somewhere in my opining on this condiment, I haven't found anything I don't like it on (yet), except maybe desserts. LOL

Oh, and sometimes when I want a little bite, I add minced, seeded jalapeno to the mix........Takes it to an even higher level IMO.