Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
Erythritol and stevia glycerite

I bought some granulated erythritol a few weeks ago. I used it making some choc chip cookies for my daughter but found the cooling aftertaste really off-putting

I read somewhere (perhaps here) that if you mix it with other sweeteners that cooling taste goes away. I purchased some Now Stevia glycerite online which has just arrived. I'd like to try it.

Does anyone else mix their erythritol with liquid stevia? Does it eliminate the cooling effect? What ratios do you use?

Many thanks

Last edited by Hot Potato; 07-04-2013 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: Typo
Hot Potato is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2013, 02:19 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Hi HP ;-)

You may find this information interesting from post #57 page #2 of this thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...newtame-2.html

"Zero-calorie plus zero-calorie

A discussion of sweeteners would not be complete these days without mention to stevia – the natural, zero-calorie sweetener making big waves around the world. McNeil Nutritionals, the company behind the sucralose-based Splenda, has filed a patent application for a stevia-erythritol blend to add to the multi-coloured sachet range of table top sweeteners.

According to the company’s application (US2008/068344), erythritol is currently blended with a range of other sweeteners including inulin, isomalt, and glycerin in order to counter erythritol’s ‘strong cooling effect’.
“However, all [of these sweeteners] add bulk, calories, and potentially gastro-intestinal side effects, all of which are undesirable attributes in a tabletop sweetener composition,” says the patent application. “What is needed is a tabletop sweetener composition that minimizes the erythritol's brightness without the calories and potential gastro-intestinal side effects associated with previously known methods.”

While some products are already available using erythritol and stevia (80 to 99 per cent Reb-A), most of these use a blend whereby stevia provides between 20 to about 75 per cent of the sweetness of the composition, claims the McNeil patent.

“Surprisingly, it has been found that erythritol-containing tabletop sweetener compositions containing very small amounts of stevia extracts unexpectedly mask the "bright" taste normally associated with erythritol,” states the patent application. “This effect occurs at levels that are about 300 times less than those previously known. The level is also several times less than compositions where stevia is the primary sweetener.”

This led the McNeil team to stevia, and they are developing a blend containing a weight ratio of about 200 to 2000 (erythritol) to about 1 (stevia). Such a formulation would mean that between 70 and 99 per cent of the sweetness would come from stevia, while 98.5 to 99 per cent of the weight coming from erythritol.

study by scientists from NutraSweet and DukeUniversity in 2007 (Food Quality and Preference, Vol. 18, pp. 405-415).

The science of sweetener blends"

I would try the NOW Brand Stevia Extract powder (about 200 times sugar) rather than the much weaker Now Stevia Glycerite to mask the taste of erythritol.

Hope this helps...locarbman ;-)
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:48 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Check out Maria Emmerich's blog. She uses many recipes where the second possible sweetening is a combinatin of 1 tsp stevia glycerite and some erythritol. When I get that erythritol cooling effect, I decrease the amount of erythritol and compensate with a mix of other sweeteners. Also, did you powder the erythritol? I think this helps it dissolve. I use my Vitamix, but a coffee grinder will work.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, I have since read that grinding can help.

I hadn't tried that. Will do it, as well as trying the blend.

Sadly, I am beginning to think i am very sensitive to aftertaste in alternative sweeteners.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
I've also been using the combo of erythritol and stevia glycerite after learning about it last year on Maria's blog.
There has only been one recipe I've made where I was able to notice the cooling effect. I can't remember which one that is, though. My dd is very sensitive to the aftertaste and cooling effect issues, and hasn't been able to notice it since I started using that combo.
For recipes in which you don't melt the erythritol first or you just want to be sure there are no granular issues, I use the powdered version of Swerve.
I stay away from all other kinds of sweeteners.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone

I tried the erythritol again this afternoon, using it in chocolate chip cookies. I blended it in my Food processor until it resembled caster sugar/icing sugar. Cooling taste gone!

Yay
Old 07-12-2013, 01:51 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
I don't like the cooling thing either so I use a mix of erythritol, NuNaturals Stevia drops and EZ-Sweetz small bottle (2 tsp/drop, or granular depending on the recipe). I tend to not use E in frostings because of the cooling.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I've had excellent results using Sweetzfree and Erythritol, in a 3:1 ratio.
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote