Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2003, 05:49 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ana Ng
what do you do with pork rinds?

i hear they're versatile!
Ana Ng is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2003, 05:56 PM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: GreekGoddess
you mean besides eating them uncontrollably? I hear they're good with dip, and I saw a recipe (maybe on here, i forget) about some cheesy crunchy pork-rind baked thing. Maybe someone else knows what i'm talking about!
GreekGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 06:03 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pinkkitty
Stats: 162/125/115 (-37 lbs total!)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/16/07
I haven't tried any, but there are several recipes in the recipe room, including (I believe) French Toast (or Freedom Toast, if you prefer)! It seems people use them for everything!
pinkkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 06:23 PM   #4
Ashley3432

Gallery: Ashley3432
I love pork rinds! I'm not eating them for the time being though because I just go overboard on them and can't control myself. You can do sooo much with them. My fav. is take tuna&mayo and dip plain pork rinds in them (yummy!). You can also melt shredded cheese on top of them and put sour cream and a low carb salsa on them for fake nachos. You can also put them in a ziploc bag with some cinnamon and butter and nuke them for a few seconds and they supposedly taste good (I have never tried that though). Pork rinds are awesome, but loaded with sodium so I try to not go too crazy with them.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:05 PM   #5
Major Procrastinator!!!

Gallery: magnolia_petals
WOE: atkins again!
Start Date: 03/31/08
as little as possible
magnolia_petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 07:10 PM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: portdevoix
The only way I can do anything to a bag of pork rinds is if I have another one beside it that I'm eating. One bag of pork rinds gets opened and inhaled immediately. This is why I hardly ever buy them.

But, when I have managed to use them for something other than snarfing, I've crumbled them into breading for chicken cordon bleu. Outstanding!
portdevoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 07:26 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tracy0821
Stats: 296/270/? 150 maybe less?
WOE: Low Carb
I started choppoing and grinding them in my food processor and dip chicken strips in the crushed pork rinds and I fry it in oil for chicken fingers. VERY VERY GOOD
Tracy0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 08:27 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ana Ng
thanks!

i'm kind of scared to eat them, because i never have and the name sounds scary. i might use them as breading now, though...
Ana Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 08:31 PM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: portdevoix
You should try at least one. They are very good, crispy, and quite satisfying. I'm just a pig and can't stop eating them! They're also a good source of protein!
portdevoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 08:38 PM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: babyjips
Stats: 212/140/120
WOE: atkins/ induction/again
Start Date: 1/2003 restart over and over
i use them as a breading for pork chops , chicken, and i also use them in my meatloaf.
babyjips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 09:35 AM   #11
connie seiler

Gallery: connie seiler
I like to melt an Atkins Endulge chocolate bar in the microwave and then dip the pork rinds. It's almost like eating a chocolate cookie. Sometimes I add low carb peanut butter too, it makes it taste almost like a Reeses peanut butter cup.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:52 PM   #12
BettyC

Gallery: BettyC
I'm on a kick this week of dipping them in Ortega Roasted Garlic Salsa - delish!!!!
Old 03-27-2003, 01:09 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmc
WOE: Atkins- again
Start Date: Feb.2003
There is a great dip in the recipe room called" pork rind dip" I think. Its mayo, horse radish, lemon juice, garlic. The stuff is great, but has alot of calories,so I had to lay off. I also like just a splash of Texas Pete on mine. I just have to mention the pork rind pizza crust. Tried it for the first time last night and was blown away. I couldn't believe I was eating pork rinds. DH who is not LC tried it too and said he never would have guessed what it was made with.The crust was crispy on the edge and softer toward the center of the pizza. It was fabulous!!! I did add a little oregano and garlic to the recipe. My search for a good pizza crust is over!Sherri is so clever.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:42 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HeatherFeather
Stats: 185/175/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: Nov 2002 restart 6/2011
I just tried the French Toast this morning!! You must try it!! It really does taste just like the real thing.

1.5 ounces Pork Rinds (crushed to a bread crumb consistancy)
(that's half of a three ounce bag)

2 eggs (beaten)
.5 tsp cinnamon
2 pkts Splenda (or equivalent)
1/4 c. cream

Add all the ingredients together and let it sit for a few minutes until the liquid ingredients soak into the rinds

Cook (like pancakes) in hot butter or oil until golden brown. I had strawberries and sf maple syrup and whip cream on them and it was FANTASTIC!!

This recipe originates on The Low Carb Luxury site. FYI - the gal who runs that site could use support right now, she has had her identity stolen and bank account emptied. I have no affiliation with her but I just thought I'd mention it.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:29 PM   #15
chellebelle

Gallery: chellebelle
What don't I do with pork rinds?!?!

Guacamole!
Hot sauce
Melted pepper jack cheese
Cream cheese
Salmon croquettes
Crumbled for breading
Cinnamon, splenda & butter
etc...etc...etc

And an excellent way to get me to drink more water cuz ya can't eat them without a drink! <choke>
Old 04-01-2003, 04:25 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaulaP
My favorite way is just to pour some in a dish, top with shredded Mexican cheese blend & some jalapeno slices & nuke till the cheese is melted. You can also use them to make a taco salad with taco-flavored meat, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, jalapenos & taco sauce. My latest find is Tabasco pork rinds at Sam's. I bought a whole case of individual serving bags. They have just enough Tabasco flavoring - not overpowering (but I'm a chile-head). If you ever go to a fair or festival where they're frying fresh pork rinds, don't leave without several bags!! Those things are awesome!I bought one bag at a downtown festival last year & didn't eat them till I got home - wished I had bought all they had.
PaulaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 09:29 AM   #17
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: bernie
I like to put the pork rinds on a cookie sheet and top with grated cheese and stick under the broiler until cheese is melted. Then dip in Salsa or Gaucamole.

Yum
Bernie
bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 02:11 PM   #18
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: regandy
Stats: (hi 225)185/161/140
WOE: LowCarb
Start Date: every single morning
I saw a recipe yesterday that I want to try. Cut string cheese in half. Dip mozerella string cheese halves in beaten egg then roll in crushed pork rinds. Place in freezer to set (freezing causes rinds & egg mixture to stick). Then fry in hot oil, quickly. Sounds good.
regandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 04:37 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HeatherFeather
Stats: 185/175/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: Nov 2002 restart 6/2011
I just tried the Pork Rinds pizza crust and I thought it was just GREAT! Wow, it makes great pizza and is also really good just as a cheese bread. I have been eating it plain for breakfast. Probably the closest thing I've had to "bread" in a long time.
HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 08:00 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Antmaymay
WOE: Atkins
You won't beleive this but I make "Sherri's Southern Pecan Waffles" with them and they are absolutely incredible. After you make them freeze the left overs to have through out the week.

This is our Saturday Morning Breakfast. With Smuckers Sugar Free Syrup it tastes just like a Waffle House Pecan Waffle.

Recipe:

4 oz of crushed or pulverized pork rinds
6 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla
8 tsp Splenda
1/2 cup crushed pecans

Mix all ingredients together and that is your batter. Use your waffle iron as usuall. Cook them a little longer than regular batter to make them a little crispy.

I wrote this recipe from memory, it may not be just like Sherri's but it is what I do.
Antmaymay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 02:06 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AngieNOklahoma
Stats: 164.5/161.0/145
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 7/20/04 (re-start)
Pork Rinds

I've read lots of "pork rind" suggestions, recipes, etc. I'm somewhere between laughing and gagging thinking of making "french toast" out of pork rinds. I just can't go there...I know, to each her own, but I just can't make the leap from pork to toast.
AngieNOklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote