Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
Anyone used spelt in recipes?

A friend gave me a tortilla recipe using spelt. I know it's higher in carbs than most of you want but I liked the flavor. I wondered if anyone has used small amounts in their baking? Would it raise your blood sugar and cravings if you only used small portions in your baking?

What I'd like to do is try about a 1/4 in the BTF mix. I wonder how much it would raise the carbs?

Last edited by Grammy G; 07-02-2013 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: Go advanced
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
Spelt sourdough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy G View Post
A friend gave me a tortilla recipe using spelt. I know it's higher in carbs than most of you want but I liked the flavor. I wondered if anyone has used small amounts in their baking? Would it raise your blood sugar and cravings if you only used small portions in your baking?

What I'd like to do is try about a 1/4 in the BTF mix. I wonder how much it would raise the carbs?
I use 100% spelt light s flour in my sourdough bread.
I ferment it for 14 hours just before the gluten dies as let is notorious for being low gluten.
I have no issues with one slice about three times a week, of course I am in maintenance as iris referred to and do not have a weight issue . I am in very good shape with power walking and Ross training sprints every 3 days and Dr Briffas 2-6 minute training.
The light spelt I use is about 17g net per 1/4 cup m which is reduced a little when fermented for 14 hours.
I use 400 grams per loaf plus 100g resistant starch as fiber, with additional egg white to help with rising as I live in a high altitude plus zero humidity environment.
I seem to have issues with insulin when I have too much almond flour which can have as high as 7 g carbs per 1/4 cup(now that's not net carbs) with psyllium Kursk powder also in my breads as I have issues from carbs from fiber ( few folks do, but I do!)
So the moral of the story is that "everyone" is different , so listen to your body and your fitness level and involvement.
For example Jen Eloff uses oat flour in he mix and that is 14g carbs per 1/4 cup, not much less than spelt !
Hope that helps.
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Yes, that helps. I did test my blood sugar after I ate the tortilla and I didn't get a spike. Thank you for helping me think through this.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:13 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Tortillas

Quote:
Yes, that helps. I did test my blood sugar after I ate the tortilla and I didn't get a spike. Thank you for helping me think through this.
Do you mind sharing that recipe please?
Old 07-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Spelt Tortillas

Quote:
Originally Posted by majomor View Post
Do you mind sharing that recipe please?
Sure! :-)

Spelt Tortillas

2 c. spelt
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. water
1/4 c. oil

I put it in the bread machine on the 'dough' setting. You can keep the ball of dough in the fridge and pinch off what you need. It rolled out fine but when i tried to transfer it to the griddle I had trouble with it wanting to tear. I think the trick may be to do that quickly and keep the dough cold because it's easier to work with. Definitely don't roll several at one time. Let me know how it works for you and if it spikes your blood sugar? Please? :-)
Old 07-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Spelt using BTF mix!

Quote:
Sure! :-)

Spelt Tortillas

2 c. spelt
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. water
1/4 c. oil

I put it in the bread machine on the 'dough' setting. You can keep the ball of dough in the fridge and pinch off what you need. It rolled out fine but when i tried to transfer it to the griddle I had trouble with it wanting to tear. I think the trick may be to do that quickly and keep the dough cold because it's easier to work with. Definitely don't roll several at one time. Let me know how it works for you and if it spikes your blood sugar? Please? :-)

when you said you wanted to use 1/4 cup spelt with the. BTF mix, I assumed that's what you used to not spike your blood sugar/insulin?
I will try it that way as I prefer to not use so much spelt. 2 cups would be 136 carbs!! For the whole recipe.
Using the BTF would be 17g carbs for the spelt not including the BTF mix.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Wow! That is a lot of carbs.. isn't it! I've made 4 tortillas from the batch and probably have at least enough dough for 3 maybe 4 more. 136 carbs divided by the minimum 7 tortillas would be 19 (no calculator handy) per tortilla? That's still pretty high.. isn't it?

I did put the 1/2 cup to 1 cup of coconut flour in the BTF mix (x 12 recipe batch). I'm wondering how much spelt you would actually get in each recipe? So would we divide the 1/2 cup by 12 to get the total carbs for the spelt? How much do you think it would change the net carbs for the mix?

Maybe I'll experiment with a low carb tortilla using the BTF mix with the spelt in it if the carbs would be low enough.

Thanks for helping me think this through. I'm lousy at math! :-)
Old 07-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Spelt tortillas

Ok so it is 3.2 x 7 = 22.4g effective carbs for 1-3/4 cup BTF mix
Then add spelt -17g carbs
Son total of 22.4+17= 39.4 total effective grams carbs of.