Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Spicy White BBQ Sauce (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/807231-spicy-white-bbq-sauce.html)

tulipsandroses 07-01-2013 04:44 PM

Spicy White BBQ Sauce

I'm an island girl and I love Jerk, however until recently I had never had white jerk sauce until I found a restaurant that served jerk chicken with white jerk sauce, it was really good. I skimped on it because I knew it contained sugar but I thought since it was a mayo based sauce it can easily be "decarbed."

I found this one on a blog, not the exact sauce I had but I tried it with my own sweetener and its pretty tasty. For 4th of July I will use jerk sauce in place of the hot sauce to try to replicate what I had at the restaurant.

Spicy White Barbeque Sauce
1 1/2 cups Hellmann's/Best Foods Mayonnaise
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoon hot sauce
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon applewood smoked sea salt
1 lemon, zested, juiced

Garlic 07-01-2013 05:16 PM

For a whole recipe, that isn't that many carbs per serving. It definitely looks like something I would enjoy. And I would add some allspice and more scotch bonnet. And I would leave out the horseradish.... But I hate horseradish.

rosethorns 07-02-2013 05:31 AM

I think it sounds wonderful. Thanks.

Garlic 07-02-2013 07:20 AM

Btw, I am a huge fan of jerk.... You really have to have some thyme to have jerk. Regardless, your does sound good except for the horseradish. :)

tulipsandroses 07-02-2013 11:21 AM

Yeah, I am an island girl and grew up on Jerk. The jerk sauce I'm going to use is imported from Jamaica so it has all the authentic ingredients. Also plan to add some scotch bonnet sauce for an extra kick. I never realized there was such a thing as white bbq sauce, found a few other recipes online and will be experimenting.

Garlic 07-02-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tulipsandroses (Post 16497050)
Yeah, I am an island girl and grew up on Jerk. The jerk sauce I'm going to use is imported from Jamaica so it has all the authentic ingredients. Also plan to add some scotch bonnet sauce for an extra kick. I never realized there was such a thing as white bbq sauce, found a few other recipes online and will be experimenting.

White bbq sauces is popular in the south, and is frequently used on chicken.

JMacB 07-02-2013 04:52 PM

White barbecue sauce is an Alabama thing - And so dang good! It's what I have always eaten, andi love that it is so low-carb friendly. I will say that my recipe doesn't call for sugar - just mayo, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. It's two-to-one mayo-to-vinegar, and the rest to taste (but it calls for a load of pepper - if you are doing 2 cups mayo/1 cup vinegar, it's 3 tablespoons of pepper, just a teaspoon of salt and a pinch of cayenne).

I love it on pulled pork but it is especially fine on smoked chicken.

Oh, and it's better on day 2 or 3. You really need to make it ahead of time.

mojave 07-04-2013 11:29 AM

Where can I find applewood smoked sea salt? Never heard of it.

Thanks, Dee

Garlic 07-04-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojave (Post 16500144)
Where can I find applewood smoked sea salt? Never heard of it.

Thanks, Dee

Google it.....ton of places sell it.

mojave 07-08-2013 08:59 AM

Amazon, of course!:up:

Dee