Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Beurre Monté (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/807139-beurre-mont.html)

dianafoot 06-30-2013 06:11 PM

Beurre Monté

Has anyone tried using a Beurre Monte to cook fish? Is it worth the trouble/expense?

buttoni 06-30-2013 06:39 PM

Way too much trouble for this lazy cook. ;) Butter's butter unless I burn it and have to toss it out.

Soobee 07-01-2013 05:30 AM

I had to look it up to figure out what it was. l bet it would be delicious.

dianafoot 07-01-2013 07:07 AM

Shrimp Scampi with Beurre Monté

I heard about Beurre monté on The Splendid Table and decided to try it with my Shrimp Scampi recipe
This recipe makes 2 servings, but I think you can cook more shrimp in this amount of Beurre Monté

Make the Beurre monté:

• In a small pot, heat 2 tbs water until boiling
• whisk in 1 stick of butter, a small chunk at a time, keeping the mixture hot, but not boiling. Butter should become a creamy, emulsified sauce
• Add and cook ˝ pound shrimp gently for about 10 minutes in the hot Beurre monté, stirring occasionally. Do not allow to boil.

Meanwhile, make a sauce:

Sauté in a little olive oil:
• 3 cloves of crushed garlic and
• ˝ finely chopped yellow onion

Add
• 1/3 cup white wine
• 1 cup shrimp broth or chicken broth (I boiled the shrimp shells to make broth)
Reduce mixture by about half, then add
• ˝ cup fresh lemon juice

Toss sauce with Dreamfields/zoodles angel hair (I do a combination)
Scoop the hot shrimp out with a slotted spoon and serve on top of the noodles/zoodles and drizzle with a little of the Beurre monté, if desired.

This was absolutely delicious! The Beurre monté is a little over the top, but it did make the shrimp wonderful. And the Beurre monté can be frozen in a little container and reused until it’s all gone. When you’ve used it 2 or three times to cook fish or shrimp, it can be put into a fish stew or bisque.

DiggingDogFarm 07-01-2013 07:31 AM

Yes, it's great.
Wonderful for lobster tail and the like too.
Chefs'Secret Butter - Los Angeles Times

~Martin

dianafoot 07-01-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiggingDogFarm (Post 16494965)
Yes, it's great.
Wonderful for lobster tail and the like too.
Chefs'Secret Butter - Los Angeles Times

~Martin

DH loves lobster tails--might do this for his birthday! Have you cooked fish in it?

Mistizoom 07-01-2013 08:45 AM

Wow, never heard of this before. Sounds awesome. Is this what is used when they say "butter poached" lobster or fish? Might have to try this soon. Thanks for the news link, and the recipe.

DiggingDogFarm 07-01-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianafoot (Post 16494977)
DH loves lobster tails--might do this for his birthday! Have you cooked fish in it?

Yes, it works good for fish too.

~Martin