Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   What do you like to do with smoked sausage? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/807129-what-do-you-like-do-smoked-sausage.html)

SummerAnne 06-30-2013 03:37 PM

What do you like to do with smoked sausage?

I found some in the bottom of the deep freezer and want to use it up. Ordinarily I use this for red beans & rice, I've never done anything else with it! That is kind of out of the question now.

Thanks!

greybb1 06-30-2013 03:45 PM

Yum! One of my favorite things. :)

For appetizers or a snacky meal, grill them until the skin splits. I like mine nearly black. (I like my hotdogs "burned" too) Slice them at an angle into about 1/2 inch thick slices and serve with a little chunk of cheddar on top.

Or you can have them as your meat for breakfast. Cut them in half long way, put about a quarter/half inch of water in bottom of a frying pan and put on med. high heat. Put the sausages in and let cook, turning occasionally, until all the water evaporates. Let them cook a little longer until they are to your liking. They will curl up somewhat as they cook. Wonderful with eggs!

greybb1 06-30-2013 03:46 PM

Oh! Another hearty meal is to slice them in 1/2 to 1 inch slices & throw them in the crock pot and cover with some spaghetti sauce. Delicious as is or with noodles!

Mistizoom 06-30-2013 04:52 PM

I just cook it and eat it! Subbing for more ideas....

watcher513 06-30-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16494287)
I just cook it and eat it! Subbing for more ideas....

Same here, with various mustards. Sometimes with saurkraut, depending on the mood.

buttoni 06-30-2013 05:36 PM

Mostly, I like to just eat it as fast as I can, cooked (on the grill), of course. :)

SummerAnne 06-30-2013 07:54 PM

Haha I was thinking eh, I'll just eat it... until I discovered how much I had. I think I'm going to try part of a package of it in loaded cauliflower bisque instead of bacon in the next day or so.

Doing It Right 06-30-2013 08:52 PM

We love to slice a head of cabbage thin, along with a couple onions, pan fry in a little oil.
When it's almost tender, add in bite sized sausage and finish cooking.

I like spicy chow chow on it, my kids like relish.

So good!

Ntombi 06-30-2013 09:22 PM

Beyond just cooking and eating, I like to cook them with greens or cabbage. I'm on a greens kick right now, so that's where my mind goes. :yummy:

shelby'snana 06-30-2013 09:25 PM

Sausage and cabbage gets my vote ! Love it ! :)

Soobee 07-01-2013 05:37 AM

Linda has a recipe for jambalaya.
EASY JAMBALAYA - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

LindaSue 07-01-2013 07:06 AM

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/food_ph...usage_soup.jpg

CABBAGE & SAUSAGE SOUP
3 tablespoons butter
2 medium carrots, 4 ounces after trimming
2 stalks celery
1 small onion, 2 1/2 ounces
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound cabbage
1/2-1 teaspoon xanthan gum, optional
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
Salt and pepper, to taste
16 ounces Boar's Head kielbasa *
4 cups chicken broth, homemade preferred
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped

If you chop and add the ingredients to the pot in the following order, it will give the carrots and celery a chance to get a head start before you add the cabbage.

In a large soup pot, heat the butter over medium-low heat until melted. Chop the carrots and add to the pot. Chop the celery and it to the pot. Next chop the onion and add it to the pot along with the garlic. While these vegetables are cooking, coarsely chop the cabbage; add to the pot and stir well. Turn the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, cut the kielbasa into bite-size pieces. When the 10 minutes are up, sprinkle the xanthan gum over the surface of the vegetables; stir in well. Add all remaining ingredients except the parsley. Go easy on the salt, or wait until the end to add it. The broth, bouillon and sausage all have a lot of salt so you may not need more. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer on low 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust the seasoning, if necessary, then stir in the parsley.

Makes about 7-8 cups or about 6-8 servings
Can be frozen

* Boar's Head kielbasa has no sugar or carbs. If you can't get sausage without sugar added, you'll have to add the carbs listed on the package to the counts below.

Per 1/6 Recipe: 272 Calories; 20g Fat; 17g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs
Per 1/8 Recipe: 204 Calories; 15g Fat; 13g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

LindaSue 07-01-2013 07:09 AM

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/food_ph...ta_cabbage.jpg

FIESTA CABBAGE
1 pound Boar's Head kielbasa *
2 tablespoons butter
4 ounces red onion, diced, 1 medium
1 green pepper, diced
2 pounds cabbage, chopped, 1 medium head
14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

In a very large nonstick skillet or wok, brown the sausage, which has been cut on the bias into 1/4-inch slices. Remove the sausage from the pan and reserve the drippings. Add 2 tablespoons butter to the skillet. Sauté the onion and green pepper in the hot drippings and butter over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Stir in the cabbage, sausage, tomatoes, salt and pepper; cover and cook on low heat 15 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. You may want to uncover the pan during the last 5 minutes to allow some of the liquid to evaporate.

Makes 6 servings

* or any kielbasa or smoked sausage with no sugar added.

Per 1/6 Recipe: 257 Calories; 18g Fat; 15g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 9g Net Carbs

Ocean 07-01-2013 07:34 AM

I usually just heat them up and have them topped with cheese and mustard. I sometimes cook them with saurkraut. Another way I like them is sliced and cooked with stir fry veggies.

buttoni 07-01-2013 07:40 AM

I love the look of that Fiesta Cabbage, LindaSue! I do a similar dish without tomatoes. I'll have to try some in my next batch!

sligh 07-01-2013 08:58 AM

I think that sausage and cabbage soup Linda posted above is listed as one of her favorite recipes, so I've had it on my list for a long time to try. If it's one of her favorites, I'm sure I'll love it.

SummerAnne 07-01-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 16494753)
Linda has a recipe for jambalaya.
EASY JAMBALAYA - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

That is so funny, not an hour ago I was cleaning out a drawer full of paper and came across a printout of this one from a couple of years ago. I've gone paperless for my recipes, so thanks for the link so I can copy it into my OneNote!

I'll give cabbage a try too. Last I knew I only liked cabbage raw, but my tastes have been evolving so it's worth another try.