Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 139
Gallery: Croton130
Cauliflower Steak . . .

Has anyone tried these recipes?
Croton130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Deb
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Deb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Okanagan BC
Posts: 20,465
Gallery: Deb
never heard of it

can you post the recipe?
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member
 
tinamanni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 394
Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
I'm curious too!
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member
 
Smiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 343
Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Me three! I am curious. LOL!

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:58 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,423
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
From what I have seen, a cauliflower steak is a whole cauliflower cut into big slices from the top of the head to the bottom, through both the stem and florets. If you google it, lots of images will come up. Then you oil the steaks, spice them, and either grill or roast them in the oven.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 139
Gallery: Croton130
Here is one of the very basic recipes. There are several on line, mostly differing with respect to the seasoning used and/or the sauce to go with it. Will try one this week and let you know, probably one with more spices and/or a spicy sauce. I might also do it all in the oven since I don't have an oven proof pan large enough for 2 "steaks" at a time and several recipes just have you put it on a baking sheet and roast it.

Serves 2

One 1 1/2-pound head of cauliflower
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus more for brushing
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat oven to 350°F. Using sharp heavy knife and starting at top center of cauliflower head, cut two 1-inch-thick slices of cauliflower, cutting through stem end. Set cauliflower steaks aside.

Cut enough florets from remaining cauliflower head to measure 3 cups. Combine florets, water, and milk in medium saucepan, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bring to boil and cook until cauliflower florets are very tender, about 10 minutes. Strain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.

Transfer florets to blender. Add half of the reserved 1 cup cooking liquid and puree until smooth. Add more of the liquid if desired, and puree again. Return puree to same saucepan.

Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in heavy large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Brush cauliflower steaks with additional oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add cauliflower steaks to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer skillet to oven and bake cauliflower steaks until tender, about 10 minutes.

Rewarm cauliflower puree over medium heat. Divide puree between 2 plates; top each with cauliflower steak.

roger

Last edited by Croton130; 06-30-2013 at 05:10 AM..
Croton130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,606
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croton130 View Post
Here is one of the very basic recipes. There are several on line, mostly differing with respect to the seasoning used and/or the sauce to go with it. Will try one this week and let you know, probably one with more spices and/or a spicy sauce. I might also do it all in the oven since I don't have an oven proof pan large enough for 2 "steaks" at a time and several recipes just have you put it on a baking sheet and roast it.

Serves 2

One 1 1/2-pound head of cauliflower
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus more for brushing
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat oven to 350°F. Using sharp heavy knife and starting at top center of cauliflower head, cut two 1-inch-thick slices of cauliflower, cutting through stem end. Set cauliflower steaks aside.

Cut enough florets from remaining cauliflower head to measure 3 cups. Combine florets, water, and milk in medium saucepan, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bring to boil and cook until cauliflower florets are very tender, about 10 minutes. Strain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.

Transfer florets to blender. Add half of the reserved 1 cup cooking liquid and puree until smooth. Add more of the liquid if desired, and puree again. Return puree to same saucepan.

Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in heavy large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Brush cauliflower steaks with additional oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add cauliflower steaks to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer skillet to oven and bake cauliflower steaks until tender, about 10 minutes.

Rewarm cauliflower puree over medium heat. Divide puree between 2 plates; top each with cauliflower steak.

roger
To make this recipe low carb you'd need to sub something for the milk. Either use low carb milk, or try 1/2 heavy whipping cream and 1/2 water. Personally I love oven-roasted caluliflower florets, roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper. Tasty and very easy.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!
 
greybb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The South y'all
Posts: 2,345
Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
Wouldn't it just taste like regular old cauliflower?
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,606
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybb1 View Post
Wouldn't it just taste like regular old cauliflower?
Right, it's going to taste like roasted cauliflower and mashed cauliflower. Nothing magical will happen just because it's called steak!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!
 
dianafoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern US
Posts: 1,205
Gallery: dianafoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croton130 View Post
Here is one of the very basic recipes. There are several on line, mostly differing with respect to the seasoning used and/or the sauce to go with it. Will try one this week and let you know, probably one with more spices and/or a spicy sauce. I might also do it all in the oven since I don't have an oven proof pan large enough for 2 "steaks" at a time and several recipes just have you put it on a baking sheet and roast it.

Serves 2

One 1 1/2-pound head of cauliflower
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus more for brushing
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat oven to 350°F. Using sharp heavy knife and starting at top center of cauliflower head, cut two 1-inch-thick slices of cauliflower, cutting through stem end. Set cauliflower steaks aside.

Cut enough florets from remaining cauliflower head to measure 3 cups. Combine florets, water, and milk in medium saucepan, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bring to boil and cook until cauliflower florets are very tender, about 10 minutes. Strain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.

Transfer florets to blender. Add half of the reserved 1 cup cooking liquid and puree until smooth. Add more of the liquid if desired, and puree again. Return puree to same saucepan.

Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in heavy large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Brush cauliflower steaks with additional oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add cauliflower steaks to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer skillet to oven and bake cauliflower steaks until tender, about 10 minutes.

Rewarm cauliflower puree over medium heat. Divide puree between 2 plates; top each with cauliflower steak.

roger
This is the same recipe that comes up over and over when you google cauliflower steaks. It's attributed to several different people (epicurious, Chef Dan Barber, etc.) and it gets five stars wherever it appears from many reviewers.

DH said that his teenage girlfriend made something like this for him in the 1960's and he remembers it to this day as being really really delicious. (Might have had something to do with the company, though)
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,624
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I have a question. Is that whole cup of water alot or just me?
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!
 
dianafoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern US
Posts: 1,205
Gallery: dianafoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I have a question. Is that whole cup of water alot or just me?
I assume you're referring to cooking the florets in all that water? Seems like way too much to me.

I just steam the florets drizzled with cream or milk in the microwave, then drain. When I puree them I add salt & pepper, milk or cream, sour cream, etc. but I wouldn't add in water the cauliflower had been cooked in--I think it would taste too strong. That's just me, though.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!
 
dianafoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern US
Posts: 1,205
Gallery: dianafoot
I saw a recipe for braising the "steaks" in the oven in a little broth with wine and bay leaves until tender, then drain and caramelize on the grill or in a hot pan. I might give both ways a shot and see which way tastes better.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,624
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
I saw a recipe for braising the "steaks" in the oven in a little broth with wine and bay leaves until tender, then drain and caramelize on the grill or in a hot pan. I might give both ways a shot and see which way tastes better.
I've done this and love it. The roasting one is wonderful.

After reading it they are using 1/2 cup of reserved liquid to make the puree. Hmmmmm

I steam when I'm making taters.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 3,198
Gallery: watcher513
Geez, I have see this out there somewhere and just didn't connect it, duh. Heck, I'd just nuke the florets then mash with some hwc and/or cream cheese and possibly some stock to thin a bit if needed, and seasonings. Not sure about all that water and all the milk thing. Too complicated. Love roasted cauliflower.
watcher513 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:27 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.