Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   July 4th Desserts???? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/807080-july-4th-desserts.html)

sofl 06-29-2013 02:11 PM

July 4th Desserts????

We're all gathering at M & D's for the 4th. I'll bring Helen's "Potato" Salad from Linda Sue's site (always a big hit!!) and I'd like to bring something along the lines of a dessert. Maybe simple and cute like ....

....Strawberry, Blueberry and Banana kabobs (if I can keep the bananas from turning brown) I can serve them on a platter to look like the American Flag, which would be kinda cute I think. Too high in carbs?

What are you guys doing. I always LOVE all of your ideas!

Dottie 06-29-2013 03:16 PM

Peaches are better (low carb) than bananas, so is cantaloupe, both have a whit-ish color :)

GME 06-29-2013 05:30 PM

What about a no bake cheesecake desert in a rectangular pan (like a pyrex) with blue berries & strawberries?

Or mini cheesecakes in cupcake papers decorated for the 4th and blueberries and strawberries on top.

buttoni 06-30-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sofl (Post 16492924)
Maybe simple and cute like ........Strawberry, Blueberry and Banana kabobs (if I can keep the bananas from turning brown)

Dip them in lemon juice mixed with a little water and they won't turn brown (slows it down, anyway). The lemon taste isn't too offensive on bananas either, IMO. My mother always did this with bananas she put on top of cakes and in fruit salads.

Soobee 07-01-2013 06:28 AM

How about a fruit pizza?

brittone2 07-01-2013 07:12 AM

I highly recommend the banana split cake!

pocahontas 07-01-2013 11:19 AM

I always make blueberry cheesecake bars for the 4th. I drizzle them with strawberry sauce. red, white and blue! :cool:

GailyGail 07-01-2013 11:25 AM

Low carb strawberry shortcake is fabulous. Just make the biscuits with CarbQuick. Cut up fresh berries and sprinkle Splenda or some other low carb sweetener on them and top with fresh whipped cream. You can even add blueberries for a splash of patriotic color!

sofl 07-01-2013 12:17 PM

Thanks for all the ideas, you guys are awesome!! I'll definitely use cantaloupe if I make the kabobs, I LOVE cantaloupe, thanks for the suggestion Dottie.

Hum, mini cheesecakes, that would be lower in carbs and pretty much everybody likes cheesecake. I wonder if I used small clear glasses (kinda like a shot glass, but bigger) layered no bake cheesecake, blueberries and strawberries?

And then there's the banana split cake and fruit pizza. I used to make them both quite often and I have a pineapple in the frig that I grew and I need to use it before it goes bad. I'll use the lemon juice idea from Buttoni on the bananas to keep them fresh.

Soobee 07-01-2013 12:24 PM

Found this on Low Carb So Simple. It looked really pretty.
Red, White and Blue Dessert for Celebrating 4th of July
1 organic honeydew melon (approx. 35 oz = 1 kg)
8 oz = 230 g fresh organic strawberries
3 oz = 85 g fresh organic blueberries
1 cup = 240 ml dry, cold sparkling wine
16 drops (or to taste) vanilla stevia (optional)
Directions
1.Cut the melon in half and scoop out the seeds.
2.Slice the melon into 0.4 inch (1 cm) wide slices.
3.Remove the skin from the melon slices.
4.Cut out star shapes from the melon slices using a small star cutter. Set the melon stars and the leftover melon aside. (See the tip for using the leftover melon.)
5.Clean and hull the strawberries. Cut small strawberries into 2 pieces and large ones into 4 pieces. Set aside.
6.Clean the blueberries, if needed.
7.Arrange the melon stars, strawberry pieces and blueberries in 4 serving glasses or cocktail glasses.
8.In case you would like to sweeten the dessert, drop 4 drops vanilla stevia into each serving glass.
9.Pour sparkling wine gently over each serving. If you have added vanilla stevia, you can gently stir the dessert so that the stevia gets well mixed.

sofl 07-01-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 16495425)
Found this on Low Carb So Simple. It looked really pretty.
Red, White and Blue Dessert for Celebrating 4th of July
1 organic honeydew melon (approx. 35 oz = 1 kg)
8 oz = 230 g fresh organic strawberries
3 oz = 85 g fresh organic blueberries
1 cup = 240 ml dry, cold sparkling wine
16 drops (or to taste) vanilla stevia (optional)
Directions
1.Cut the melon in half and scoop out the seeds.
2.Slice the melon into 0.4 inch (1 cm) wide slices.
3.Remove the skin from the melon slices.
4.Cut out star shapes from the melon slices using a small star cutter. Set the melon stars and the leftover melon aside. (See the tip for using the leftover melon.)
5.Clean and hull the strawberries. Cut small strawberries into 2 pieces and large ones into 4 pieces. Set aside.
6.Clean the blueberries, if needed.
7.Arrange the melon stars, strawberry pieces and blueberries in 4 serving glasses or cocktail glasses.
8.In case you would like to sweeten the dessert, drop 4 drops vanilla stevia into each serving glass.
9.Pour sparkling wine gently over each serving. If you have added vanilla stevia, you can gently stir the dessert so that the stevia gets well mixed.

Soobee, I just had to look this up and it looks so good and refreshing and FESTIVE!!! great find, thank you

sofl 07-02-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pocahontas (Post 16495272)
I always make blueberry cheesecake bars for the 4th. I drizzle them with strawberry sauce. red, white and blue! :cool:

pocahontas, My neighbor would like to make this for the 4th. If you have time, would you please post the recipes for the cheesecake bars and the sauce (of point me in the right direction to find them).

TIA

buttoni 07-02-2013 07:44 PM

I'm just having some strawberries, honeydew melon balls and blueberries on kebab skewers.