Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Egg White/Glucomannan Pasta (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/807074-egg-white-glucomannan-pasta.html)

CarolynF 06-29-2013 11:37 AM

Egg White/Glucomannan Pasta

http://i39.tinypic.com/xgdyc9.jpg

I was experimenting and made some pretty good egg white/glucomannan pasta with no net carbs and lots of fiber and protein.

My picture is upside down, but it doesn't matter with pasta..This is pretty white..I put some Parmesan cheese on it for "interest".

I will call it Protein Pasta..

Protein Pasta

Makes one serving

In a medium cereal bowl, mix:

2 large egg whites, beaten with a fork
1 tsp. olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. of glucomannan powder, sprinkled on top and mixed in
with a fork until it is smooth
shake of salt

After you have mixed this all up with a fork, if you have any bits of the powder, use a small whisk to get them mixed in.

Heat up a 10 inch non-stick skillet with a small glaze of oil. (I was afraid not to oil the pan).

Pour the mixture into the pan and lift the pan until it is spread out thinly and then cook on one side until the top is white and a bit dry. Using a large spatula, flip it and cook for a minute or so. Slide the big noodle onto a cutting board and cool slightly.

I cut my noodle with a pizza cutter to make fettucini sized noodles. If you make them thinner, you can make spaghetti or shape them into lasagne, roll them into manicottis..

These are totally cooked. So to serve add your hot sauce and mix well or bake in a casserole.

Honestly, they are good..and easy..They do have a natural pasta texture, too, which is nice..

shunsweets 06-29-2013 12:19 PM

Wow I am definitely going to try this. They look perfect Caroline.

Dottie 06-29-2013 12:20 PM

Interesting!
I do like that they have some protein from the egg whites :)

CarolynF 06-29-2013 12:26 PM

I know, Dottie..I was sitting here thinking..Why not?

Texture is a big thing for our LC pasta subs and this is amazingly texture-friendly.

You could also add a touch of onion or garlic powder for a bit more flavor if need be.

Dottie 06-29-2013 12:36 PM

Ok I ran to the kitchen and made one lol.
It's in "tortilla form" right now, and I'm thinking that it would make a nice tortilla or wrap, too. It doesn't seem overly chewy like some shirataki products :)
Thank you for a great recipe! :hugs:

CarolynF 06-29-2013 01:00 PM

Great idea, Dottie. I was thinking tortilla, too. Maybe a tiny bit of psyllium husk could be added for a little color/flavor.

watcher513 06-29-2013 04:32 PM

Hmm, a crepe too.

Barbo 06-29-2013 04:35 PM

Creative

That's what you all are.

It's a blessing for me to be on this board.:jumpjoy:

Dottie 06-29-2013 05:23 PM

worked great as a wrap/tortilla. I might add 1-2T more water next time to make it just a touch thinner:)

jigglenomore 06-29-2013 05:30 PM

So glad I found this today, Carolyn! These look so good and I can't wait to see what you and all the other "experimenters" come up with from this! :)

rosethorns 06-29-2013 05:53 PM

OMY OMY Lasagna noodles here I come. Carolyn ,Dottie you liked the texture ?

Smiles 06-30-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16493207)
OMY OMY Lasagna noodles here I come. Carolyn ,Dottie you liked the texture ?

I want to know about the texture too. Is it anything like regular HC pasta? Or something else?

Carolyn, thanks for experimenting and coming up with this. :hugs:

Tracy

CarolynF 06-30-2013 04:00 AM

I think it is very much like HC pasta. I bought a new pizza cutter because mine was older and not as sharp as it should be.

Of course, you can double/triple the recipe, but you need to cook one portion at a time so it is more manageable. But it only takes a few minutes to cook.

Anxious for others to try this and tweak it..

Dottie 06-30-2013 04:14 AM

As a tortilla, it was like a really firm omelet, which was fine! It was firm enough to stand up to pastrami and mustard lol. But it wasn't tough or rubbery.

CarolynF 06-30-2013 04:22 AM

I think adding water to make it thinner would be good for the tortilla..You could probably make 2 small ones out of that recipe, don't you think?

kalatraza 06-30-2013 09:41 AM

Wow. Carloyn, you amaze me. Off to try this in the microwave on a paper plate. . . . and maybe with powdered egg whites. . . and oh my oh my let the games begin. Thank you!

CarolynF 06-30-2013 11:52 AM

Good luck with the microwave/powdered egg white combo..Don't let it get too tough and it should look like slime when "raw"..

buttoni 06-30-2013 12:43 PM

Oh, my, how have I missed this thread yesterday?! Those look amazing, Carolyn. And I think they'd make GREAT lasagna noodles and other Italian recipe uses. Will definitely try this recipe! So glad this got bumped up!

rosethorns 06-30-2013 01:12 PM

I made this today. To see if I would like it. It has an amazing taste. But I like eggs.

I did it to Carolyn's recipe but I can see alot more possiblities with this. I'm going to try some pea protein with this . Except I added herbs and spices Yum.

I used my immersion blender to mix it. A lot easier.

CarolynF 06-30-2013 07:39 PM

So glad you saw this Peggy..Now for your experimentations..

Esther: I have an immersion blender..Duh..Glad you liked the recipe..:)

The only "pasta" that would be a bit hard to do would be ravioli..However, I do think
that if you cooked one side and then took the noodle out of the pan with the top side still
gooey, you could make several strips, plopping a bit of the ravioli fillings about an inch an a half down the strip, then fold the top over the ingredients and hopefully the gooey inside would stick to the folded over section and boil for a quick minute to heat it up..

I'll have to try that someday...

rosethorns 06-30-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 16494490)
So glad you saw this Peggy..Now for your experimentations..

Esther: I have an immersion blender..Duh..Glad you liked the recipe..:)

The only "pasta" that would be a bit hard to do would be ravioli..However, I do think
that if you cooked one side and then took the noodle out of the pan with the top side still
gooey, you could make several strips, plopping a bit of the ravioli fillings about an inch an a half down the strip, then fold the top over the ingredients and hopefully the gooey inside would stick to the folded over section and boil for a quick minute to heat it up..

I'll have to try that someday...

O Carolyn I think that would work.:up:

I started with whisk, then the immersion blender . I love the taste .

Going2 07-01-2013 05:19 AM

Sounds good! Wonder what it would be like w a whole egg, more like real pasta?

CarolynF 07-01-2013 05:47 AM

Going: I was thinking about adding a tiny bit of yolk to the recipe. Too much and it would be an omelet.

Blonde with a Rose 07-01-2013 09:25 AM

Thanks for this fabulous idea! I can't wait to try it!!:jumpjoy:

kalatraza 07-01-2013 09:30 AM

Microwaved Protein Noodle: not the best idea I've ever had, YMMV

Microwave works but you have
--half the recipe
--use a really big, very flat plate
--grease that plate really well
--fiddle with your microwave's time to get the timing just right
--make two batches to make one serving of noodles

(That said, if you like eggs--not me--you could have a nice, sturdy egg white protein "wrap" using the original recipe and nuking it. It's just too thick for a noodle IMHO with the full recipe on the biggest plate that fits in my microwave. Also a wee bit rubbery by the time you get it cooked through but I didn't fiddle with getting that right.)

Stove version wins by a mile.

Tried powdered egg whites and egg whites from the carton as that's what I had on hand yesterday. (Did not try powdered in the microwave.) The noodles made with the carton egg whites had a slightly better texture but were MUCH easier to mix up. And cheaper. Tasted the same to me too. So no advantage to powdered that I could see.

These have so much potential. They do taste a little eggy to me but I am an an egg-hater. :) Will experiment with additives. Thinking about oat fiber.

Over and out.

rosethorns 07-01-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 16494767)
Going: I was thinking about adding a tiny bit of yolk to the recipe. Too much and it would be an omelet.

I was thinking of a little bit of yolk too, just to change color.They taste so good. I will be making it again soon.

Tortillia is a great idea too .

Jakelilydad 07-01-2013 10:13 PM

Do you think you could cut them into 4 inch wide strips, and then run them through the cutting blades of a pasta machine to make even spaghetti noodles? I am hopeless at cutting long straight cuts, even using a ruler as a straight edge.

watcher513 07-02-2013 12:58 AM

I thought I should ask this since I haven't been in the original glucomannan thread in a long time and it's pages long. Do we know if there is a....too much gluc at once quantity? That seems like kind of an important question to me considering what gluc does...thickens/expands, ya know?

Ntombi 07-02-2013 01:10 AM

This looks good! I like regular shirataki noodles, and I haven't bothered to buy glucomannan powder until now, but this might push me over the edge. A nice wrap every once in a while sounds good.

Brendajm 07-02-2013 03:55 AM

Watcher513, I was wondering the same thing.