Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: libbysmom
Stats: 226/217/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 1/25/09
What recipe makes the best toast?

I am dying for some toast with butter and jelly and I am looking for your best suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
Leigh
libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Peggy's English Muffin

This is my best toasting English muffin on low-carb so far. It doesn’t have the elasticity of the traditional English muffin. But it sure toasts nicely and psychologically allows me to feel like I’m having an English muffin. The flavor is nice, especially with jam. I tried to take my picture so you could see the inside texture well. The air bubbles brought about with the addition of baking powder really do facilitate crisper toasting and promote the resemblance of a flour-based English muffin, I think. These would not be suitable until the OWL phase of Atkins since they have almond flour. For you recipe tweakers…….do not substitute coconut flour in this recipe. I did one that way and it was hard as a rock, didn’t toast so well, and not very good flavor-wise either.

INGREDIENTS:

1½ T. melted butter, unsalted
1 large egg, beaten
pinch salt (omit if using salted butter)
3 T. almond flour or meal
½ tsp. oat fiber *
1/8 tsp. baking powder

* Note: Do not substitute oat bran! Oat bran and oat fiber are NOT the same thing. Oat bran is about 20 net carbs per ¼ cup. Oat fiber has <1 net carb per 28g. (scant 1/3 c.). I order mine from Netrition unless I want the 4# bag and then I have to order from Honeyvillegrains.

DIRECTIONS: Melt butter in microwave in a small round bowl. I used a 4″ ceramic ramekin. Beat in the egg until smooth. Add dry ingredients and beat until batter is smooth. Microwave on HI for 2 minutes. Tip muffin out onto cutting board and carefully slice in half laterally. Toast to desired brownness and butter or serve with your favorite no-sugar fruit topping. My picture is shown with sugar-free blackberry jam.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 1 English muffin which contains:
294 calories
27 g fat
7.4 g carbs, 4.6 g fiber, 2.8 g NET CARBS
10.9 g protein
217 mg sodium
24% RDA Vitamin A, 28% B12, 23% iron, 22% riboflavin, 29% selenium and 70 mg potassium

Last edited by buttoni; 06-28-2013 at 06:59 PM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Wow, these look awesome. I just made some strawberry chia jam for tomorrow and now I know what I am going to put it on!
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
I don't eat grains (so don't do oats) but I find flaxseed Foccacia makes a good toasting bread.

From aboutlowcarb

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients:

* 2 cups flax seed meal
* 1 Tablespoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 5 beaten eggs
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/3 cup oil

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment paper or a silicone mat.

1) Mix dry ingredients well -- a whisk works well.

2) Add wet to dry, and combine well. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.

3) Let batter set for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.)

4) Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner).

5) Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.

6) Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. You don't need a sharp knife; I usually just cut it with a spatula.

Nutritional Information: Each of 12 servings has less than a gram of effective carbohydrate (.7 grams to be exact) plus 5 grams fiber, 6 grams protein, and 185 calories.

Last edited by Hot Potato; 06-28-2013 at 07:40 PM..
Hot Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post

This is my best toasting English muffin on low-carb so far. It doesn’t have the elasticity of the traditional English muffin. But it sure toasts nicely and psychologically allows me to feel like I’m having an English muffin. The flavor is nice, especially with jam. I tried to take my picture so you could see the inside texture well. The air bubbles brought about with the addition of baking powder really do facilitate crisper toasting and promote the resemblance of a flour-based English muffin, I think. These would not be suitable until the OWL phase of Atkins since they have almond flour. For you recipe tweakers…….do not substitute coconut flour in this recipe. I did one that way and it was hard as a rock, didn’t toast so well, and not very good flavor-wise either.

INGREDIENTS:

1 large egg, beaten
½ tsp. oat fiber *
1/8 tsp. baking powder

* Note: Do not substitute oat bran! Oat bran and oat fiber are NOT the same thing. Oat bran is about 20 net carbs per ¼ cup. Oat fiber has <1 net carb per 28g. (scant 1/3 c.). I order mine from Netrition unless I want the 4# bag and then I have to order from Honeyvillegrains.

DIRECTIONS: Melt butter in microwave in a small round bowl. I used a 4″ ceramic ramekin. Beat in the egg until smooth. Add dry ingredients and beat until batter is smooth. Microwave on HI for 2 minutes. Tip muffin out onto cutting board and carefully slice in half laterally. Toast to desired brownness and butter or serve with your favorite no-sugar fruit topping. My picture is shown with sugar-free blackberry jam.

294 calories
27 g fat
10.9 g protein
217 mg sodium
24% RDA Vitamin A, 28% B12, 23% iron, 22% riboflavin, 29% selenium and 70 mg potassium
OMG! I so miss English muffins. I will definitely be making these.

Thanks for posting!

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:17 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: libbysmom
Stats: 226/217/140
Start Date: Restart 1/25/09
Oh Peggy!
Those look incredible and I'll be making those today!!!! How in the world did I miss that post on your web site?
Thanks!
Leigh
libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

INGREDIENTS:

1 large egg, beaten
½ tsp. oat fiber *
1/8 tsp. baking powder

294 calories
27 g fat
10.9 g protein
217 mg sodium
I made one of Peggy's English muffins today and it was very good!! I put butter on one and strawberry chia "jam" on the other. Definitely a keeper, I will be making it again. Although, I do think the taste and texture is more like a Portuguese muffin (bolo levedo) than an English muffin. That's ok with me, I used to love the bolos. Might even add a touch of sweetener next time to make them more like the original.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:19 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I made one of Peggy's English muffins today and it was very good!! I put butter on one and strawberry chia "jam" on the other. Definitely a keeper, I will be making it again. Although, I do think the taste and texture is more like a Portuguese muffin (bolo levedo) than an English muffin. That's ok with me, I used to love the bolos. Might even add a touch of sweetener next time to make them more like the original.
Misti is the Portuguese muffin the same as Portuguese sweet bread?

I loved that bread in College 40 years ago. I use to make it alot.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jokath
Stats: Then 190/144/144...Now 190/156/155
WOE: Low carb/Gluten Free
Start Date: January 2003
Subbing so I don't lose this!
jokath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Glad you liked it, Misti. Yeah, it's not exactly like an English Muffin, but it comes close for me.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
This does make splendid toast/ english muffin. Nicely crisp! Thank you so much! We ate ours with butter and sugar free peach jam mixed with a little extra sweetener and a pinch of apple pie spice.
JHoberer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Misti is the Portuguese muffin the same as Portuguese sweet bread?

I loved that bread in College 40 years ago. I use to make it alot.
It's not exactly the same, but I love Portuguese sweet bread too. The Portuguese sweet bread is a yeast bread and is a bit lighter in texture/density and a little sweeter than the muffins.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Peggy

Did you ever think to sour it a bit?

I may try to do that.

Just messing' around.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
I put some buttermilk powder in the last time I made them for a little tang.

Dee
mojave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:42 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Anyone try to make these in a batch, perhaps in the oven?

I love the convenience of being able to make them one at a time, but to be able to make batches, like I do for Peggy's foccacia bread (just made a 4x batch of that one).

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Ok, I calculated that based on the almond flour I am using, these have 5 net carbs each for me (my almond flour has 8 g carb and 1 g fiber per 1/4 cup). But I can definitely fit them into my eating plan on occasion, especially if I skip eating actual nuts on that day. My husband liked them too. We are thinking of various things to do with them. What I plan to do to make several quickly is buy a few large ramekins, mix the ingredients except baking powder and portion it out, then add the baking powder right before nuking to each ramekin.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 06-30-2013 at 07:51 AM..
Old 06-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Misti, my blanched almond flour (Honeyvillegrains) only has 3 NC per 1/4 cup.

I'm glad you folks liked these Jen. I haven't made myself one of these in a long time and need to make one again in the morning. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in creating NEW recipes I forget about revisiting the OLD TNT recipes that are so good.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

I'm glad you folks liked these Jen. I haven't made myself one of these in a long time and need to make one again in the morning. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in creating NEW recipes I forget about revisiting the OLD TNT recipes that are so good.
That has got to be hard on you. New recipes. I can't wait to try this one next. I think I can get away with 1/2 tsp. of oat fiber.

Thanks Misti!!!
Old 06-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Wow, big difference! Will have to take a look at ordering from Honeyville next time. I have several pounds of my current brand left though.

Hmmm...I am wondering if the nutrient count on my almond flour is off. It is made of 100% ground blanched almonds. Not sure why it would be so far off every other brand. Plus USDA database says blanched almonds have 6 g carb/3 g fiber (3 net carbs) per ounce, which is equal to 1/4 cup almond flour.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 06-30-2013 at 05:07 PM..
Old 07-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
Hey Smiles, I make these in a batch in my Breville table top oven. I have been spooning dollops of the batter on a cookie sheet lined with non stick foil. Works fine. They don't seem to have the holes that the ones in the photo do. Maybe the quick cooking in the micro causes the holes, I don't know. I did purchase some English Muffin rings from King Arthur Flour to use when making these as the batter spreads out a little. My oven is too small for a muffin top pan.Haven't tried them yet, we are re in ducting here. Can't wait to have them again.

Dee
mojave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Don't add any water or water based syrup... it doesn't work. I tried to make toast with a cinnamon swirl (and added a splash of vanilla sf DaVinci to make it a sweet bread) and the whole texture and taste changed.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jen, when I developed this recipe, I cooked it maybe 6-7 times before arriving at this version. Each time I tweaked it a bit more to see what would happen it changed the texture or flavor and not for the better. The coconut flour tweak was truly awful! So I finally just said to myself I need to stop while I'm ahead here.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:18 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
This looks great. I might make a few of these up to take camping next week.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
I use a mixture of lupin/almond flour. Love it. Its my go to for toast and grilled cheese sammies.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've had to walk away from lupin flour. I appear to be highly sensitive, developing a rather bizarre rare skin reaction (purpura lichen aureus) that has disappeared since I suspended cooking with it.

Last edited by buttoni; 07-02-2013 at 12:48 PM..
Old 07-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

I don't know why I try to tweak everything!! This makes great toast or toasted bagel! I'll just make cinnamon cream cheese if I want it sweet!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

There ya go, Jen. That'll work!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I've had to walk away from lupin flour. I appear to be highly sensitive, developing a rather bizarre rare skin reaction (purpura lichen aureus) that has disappeared since I suspended cooking with it.
Ok I'm not going to try lupin. Thanks Peggy you helped me.I made this . It was good.

An easy way to see if you are sensitive is take your pulse while you are stting down for 1 whole minute. Then eat the food you are questioning and take you pulse. If you eat the food and it stays the same you can eat it. Mine went from 81 to 160 in 30 seconds , so i can't eat that food.
I learned this about a month ago.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Ok I'm not going to try lupin. Thanks Peggy you helped me.I made this . It was good.

An easy way to see if you are sensitive is take your pulse while you are stting down for 1 whole minute. Then eat the food you are questioning and take you pulse. If you eat the food and it stays the same you can eat it. Mine went from 81 to 160 in 30 seconds , so i can't eat that food.
I learned this about a month ago.
Interesting! I have a pound of lupin flour but now I'm kinda afraid to try it. I don't have any other food allergies though.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Ohh, that's too bad. I love the stuff, use it almost daily. My weight loss has picked up again since I started using it. I am so glad I don't have any sensitivities to it. It makes the best bread I've had since going LC. At least for me. I'm glad you have something else that works well for you though.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote