Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Beef Sofrito on Zoodles (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/806919-beef-sofrito-zoodles.html)

buttoni 06-26-2013 05:50 PM

Beef Sofrito on Zoodles

This delicious dinner I created tonight takes all of about 10 minutes if you have the sofrito sauce made up and in the freezer. I try to keep some made up all the time. Itís delicious on so many things. My husband (who isnít low-carbing 100%) said he would like to have his on steamed rice next time. Iím sure that would be good for your non-low-carb diners. But it was VERY good on my ďzoodlesĒ (zucchini noodles) and would doubtless be good over steamed, slightly mashed cauliflower. This dish as written is suitable for all phases of Atkins, Primal and Paleo diners as well.
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...utt/001-54.jpg
INGREDIENTS:

1.5 T. olive oil or coconut oil (I used half each)
2 oz. yellow onion, sliced
10 oz. lean beef chuck or sirloin (I used a small, grass-fed flat-iron steak)
4 T. sofrito sauce (see link below)
2 7-0z. zucchini or calaba squash (only outer part was used)

DIRECTIONS: Slice your squash into noodles using a julienne peeler, or a Spirooli or Noodler if you own one of those tools. I only cut down to the seeded part of the squash when I make zoodles, saving the center, seed-laden portion of the squash for other uses, usually casseroles. So only 4 oz. of each 7-oz. squash actually went into this dish.

Trim your meat of all visible fat and scriffin. Pound thin and slice into small pieces. In a medium non-stick skillet, heat about 1 T. of the oil and saute onion over high heat until it begins to brown. Add meat and saute until it, too, begins to brown. While it is browning, add zoodles to a second skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tsp. olive oil. Saute-steam, stirring with a long-tined kitchen fork to stir. Cook them until they are just beginning to get translucent and soft. Turn heat off the zoodles. Turn heat off the meat skillet now, too. Add the sofrito sauce to the meat mixture and stir to blend. Plate half the zoodles on each of your dinner plates and top each pile of zoodles with half the meat mixture. I served this with a marinated cucumber and tomato salad but it would also be good with broiled, seasoned tomatoes.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 2 servings, each contains:

400 calories
23.35 g fat
8.4 g carbs, 2.35 g fiber, 6.05 g NET CARBS
38.15 g protein
203 mg sodium
816 mg potassium
9% RDA Vitamin A, 39% B6, 200% B12, 22% C, 31% copper, 58% iron, 18% magnesium, 12% manganese, 40% niacin, 53% phosphorous, 15% thiamin, 66% selenium, 141% zinc

The Sofrito recipe is in this post: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...n-sofrito.html

mojave 06-26-2013 06:21 PM

Wow, gorgeous photo, I must get a julienne peeler.Great recipe.

Dee

buttoni 06-26-2013 06:32 PM

Thanks, Dee. It's my little fool-proof point-n-shoot Canon camera. This dish was real tasty. I suspect I could have used lean pork with good results, too.

Divabunny 06-26-2013 06:38 PM

Mmmm that looks yummy.

Barbo 06-26-2013 08:09 PM

YOUR SOFRITO

Is delicious as is this recipe. You are one good cook!

Going to make this often using a variety of meats!

mojave 06-26-2013 10:58 PM

What device are you using to make the zoodles? So many choices on Amazon.:stars:

Dee

buttoni 06-27-2013 09:38 AM

Aww, thanks Barb. Glad you like this one. Easy, huh?

Dee, I just use a hand held julienne peeler. Some pieces come out in a "corregated" sheet and I have to slit the ridges apart with a knife to get perfect appearance, but I often don't bother. It does a fairly good job for about $7.00 on an Amazon buy. Sorry I don't remember the brand. This isn't the one I have, but it's similar and works like the one shown: http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...us/Capture.jpg

mojave 06-27-2013 02:12 PM

Thanks for the tip. Simple is better for me, I have very limited storage space and can't collect big gadgets.

Dee

buttoni 06-27-2013 08:53 PM

Me either. Barely enough cupboards for the basics in my galley-type kitchen.

Barbo 06-28-2013 07:53 PM

Galley Kitchen

Peggy I have one too. I love mine. Everything is right at the fingertips.
Only another experienced cook could work with me in it.
Not husbands or guests etc.....

buttoni 06-28-2013 08:01 PM

Yeah, my husband has learned to stay out of mine when I'm cooking. He moves so slow and he's invariably between me and what I need when he comes in the kitchen at cooking time. LOL

Kismet311 06-28-2013 08:03 PM

Sounds good! Thank you!

Dirty Harriet 06-28-2013 08:17 PM

Buttoni: good thing I don't have smell-check on this iPad as I'm already drooling. Looks gr8!!

buttoni 06-29-2013 08:32 AM

Smell-check. LOL That's a good one.

I just love the taste of this Sofrito. I keep thinking of new ways to use it. I had a dab on scrambled eggs one morning and MAN was that ever good! It's a great condiment for taco salads. :)

mojave 06-29-2013 09:35 AM

Peggy, I made this last night, with just a few tweaks. I cut up the squash in long thin strips with a knife, as I didn't have a slicer. I cooked the pieces in butter and sprinkled parmesan on top. I didn't use onions with the meat, we are re inducting, too many carbs right now. My sofrito sauce tasted a little "earthy" so I added the juice of 1/2 a lemon and 1/2 lime. And a sprinkle of chipotle powder. The combo of tastes, smells and the freshness of the zoodles and sauce was outstanding. My husband just kept saying how good it all was. Thank you so much, it took our minds off the terrible smoke and heat from yet another fire in our area. I'll be making this again and again.:)

Dee

buttoni 06-30-2013 01:49 PM

Glad you guys liked it. The parsley is what gives it the earthy taste IMO. You might like less parsley in your next batch. Then the cilantro flavor will dominate. I keep making it "again and again" as I just keep thinking of new ways to use it. We just LOVE this stuff. :)

mojave 06-30-2013 03:57 PM

Actually, I didn't have parsley so used a bit more cilantro. :)

I was just reading an interview with Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor in a recent O magazine and sofrito was mentioned. She shared how her aunts all gathered in the kitchen and chopped and blended for hours and laughed and talked when they cooked. I didn't know it was the base for all Puerto Rican cooking.

We had some last night on the chicken thighs I cooked in a cast iron skillet. Wonderful!

Dee

buttoni 06-30-2013 06:07 PM

I even whipped 1/4 c. into my Italian Tuna Pate recipe today and that was great, too! I haven't found anything I don't like this stuff on or in, Dee. I think it's going into a lot of my regular Mexican casserole-type dishes this year. :)