Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: olive oyl
Stats: 10 lbs. for every decade, yep that's me...
WOE: Keeping it under 30 carbs
Start Date: 5.23.13 & Committed...
I have never enjoyed anything more than Zoodles. They are FANTASTIC!!!!

Thanks to this site I discovered Zoodles. I bought the Oxo Julienne cutter at Bed Bath and Beyond and I eat them every day. I like to make my faux spaghetti with summer squash more than zucchini, because I think it's milder tasting and the end result is more authentic tasting. I toss a tablespoon or so of butter in a saute pan, add my julienned squash, finely cut strips of basil from my garden, a clove of smashed garlic, salt, pepper and 3-4 cherry tomatoes that I've quartered, and just toss until the squash is warm. I don't cook it, I just barely warm it because I don't want them mushy. Then I plate it, top with several shakes of parmesan cheese, take the first bite and my eyes roll back in my head it's that good!

I originally made them with olive oil and garlic, and that was great, but the butter takes it to another level, in my opinion. I realize this has been on the boards forever, but perhaps some new people don't know about this and how good it is.

Do any of you have other suggestions for making Zoodles? I was thinking of cream, bacon, eggs and parmesan, it would make a great pasta cabonara.

I'm such a pasta lover, this is hands down the best low carb idea I've ever found.

Oh, I also use my cutter to make spaghetti like strips of cucumber. Then I put it in a bowl, pour in white vinegar, a packet of Splenda, salt and pepper and let it marinate. It's very good as well.

Love that cutter, best $10 I ever spent!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've read where people say they have problems with the blades bending, it was because they were using the cutter for carrots and they are too hard for the blades. I only use mine for squash/zucchini and cucumbers, and have no problem at all.

And, my girlfriend just found one on Amazon, an Oxo one that was orange, if you're into colors, check it out!!!!

Last edited by olive oyl; 06-26-2013 at 06:19 AM..
olive oyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I was really glad to see this post. I bought a Spirooli veggie cutter quite a while ago because I wanted to make zoodles so bad. Well, I still haven't tried it...and I happen to like sauted zucchini so much! Your post has given me reason to get this thing out and use it!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
If you like pesto, try tossing your zoodles with pesto and freshly-grated parm. It's so good!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
WOE: Atkins
Guess I'm buying a julienne cutter.

Dee
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
you are going to get me to do this again and I just never like zoodles! LOL but I am pretty sure I gave that little device away when we remodeled the kitchen to keep that from happening. it's wonderful some people love them so much!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
I use the gadget that makes the spiral noodles... think curly fries but different thicknesses. I make thai noodles.
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flossie73
I'll have to try the summer squash instead of zucchini. The color probably will help trick me into imagining them more noodle-like. I wasn't real impressed with zoodles when I've tried them, but I think it's because I overcook them. They tend to leave a green-tinged puddle on my plate. Blech.
flossie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
I could not agree more olive oyl! Zoodles are THE BEST. Would never want to live with them!!!

Last edited by Dreamchaser; 06-27-2013 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: spelling
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I have a spirooli, too, and I go through spells of using it. I love the way it makes looonnng curling strings of angel-hair thin zoodles. Adds so much nice texture to dishes. My grandkids will eat lots of raw squash and carrots if I "zoodle" them into colorful piles.

I once had a dish at a restaurant where the chef deep fried zoodles for a few seconds to top some wonderful entree. Don't remember the entree but I do remember the garnish!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I made some tonight for the first time, no special cutter, just used a sharp knife to make thin skinny strips of zucchini. I cooked them in butter with garlic salt and sprinkled them with grated parmesan. Wow!

Dee
Old 06-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave View Post
I made some tonight for the first time, no special cutter, just used a sharp knife to make thin skinny strips of zucchini. I cooked them in butter with garlic salt and sprinkled them with grated parmesan. Wow!

Dee
wow, that sounds wonderful! I remember having a serving of something wrapped in paper thin slices of barely steamed zucchini. Again, I don't remember the dish, but I do remember that beautiful, delicious presentation.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #12
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
I like the julienne cutter, but someone mentioned the GEFU Spirelli Spiral Cutter (amazon) and it's so easy to use! I love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gefu.JPG (32.7 KB, 7 views)
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flossie73
That's the one I have - the spirelli. It's worked very well for me so far. I love that it takes up no space... such as the OXO slicer still in it's box that I used once and found it too much of a hassle to use again...
flossie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Oh, I like that one!

Dee
Old 07-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stardust
Does anyone know if you can get these in the UK? Sounds great!
Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
I'm in the UK and have the Gefu (Lakeland has one and they're on Amazon). Amazon stocks the Spiralo which FlossyLiz likes. Amazon, TK Maxx and most department stores tend to carry a range of mandolin cutters/slicers and they usually have a Julienne blade as one of the standard options.

Amazon (amongst others) carries the Oxo Julienne Peeler which will make narrow strips.

Last edited by SlowSure; 07-02-2013 at 09:09 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote