Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Am I late to the party or has anyone tried the 60 sec jam? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/806750-am-i-late-party-has-anyone-tried-60-sec-jam.html)

pocahontas 06-24-2013 01:43 PM

Am I late to the party or has anyone tried the 60 sec jam?

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...69839610_n.jpg

Fresh Berry Jam in 60 seconds.

Simply toss 1 cup of your favorite berries into a blender with 1 tbsp of chia seeds, and a tsp of honey (sub?). Blend, poor into a jar and place in the fridge over night. The chia seeds create a lovely jelly like texture to the sweet berries and honey. Fresh, easy, and pectin free jam!

Courtesy of Gluten Free Expo

rosethorns 06-24-2013 02:12 PM

I haven't made this recipe , but I've made jam with chia seeds.

I also like making strawberry pie using chia seeds to make the juice jell up.

GME 06-24-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pocahontas (Post 16485062)
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...69839610_n.jpg

Fresh Berry Jam in 60 seconds.

Simply toss 1 cup of your favorite berries into a blender with 1 tbsp of chia seeds, and a tsp of honey (sub?). Blend, poor into a jar and place in the fridge over night. The chia seeds create a lovely jelly like texture to the sweet berries and honey. Fresh, easy, and pectin free jam!

Courtesy of Gluten Free Expo

Wow. Never heard of such a thing, but it sounds good.

Is there gluten in pectin?

pocahontas 06-24-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16485106)
I haven't made this recipe , but I've made jam with chia seeds.

I also like making strawberry pie using chia seeds to make the juice jell up.

That sounds like a great idea!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GME (Post 16485116)
Wow. Never heard of such a thing, but it sounds good.

Is there gluten in pectin?

I have no idea? I have never made jam but thought this one sounded so easy and with nothing but good wholesome ingredients. :D

buttoni 06-24-2013 03:37 PM

I have, but I don't use the honey. I use stevia and erythritol I powder. It works nicely, too.

tofucheez 06-24-2013 05:28 PM

Thank you for this. I usually thicken with a bit of xanthan, but this sounds even better :)

Mistizoom 06-24-2013 07:41 PM

Cool, I think I'll try this, probably with liquid sucaralose.

Taralb1981 06-24-2013 08:04 PM

Wow. That looks amazing! Major sweet tooth now, 3 days into Atkins Induction.

jokath 06-25-2013 10:03 AM

I'm going to try this. I love using Chia Seeds, their so good for you.

rosethorns 06-25-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taralb1981 (Post 16485660)
Wow. That looks amazing! Major sweet tooth now, 3 days into Atkins Induction.

Take a look a Linda Sue's website. She has a * by the ones that are induction friendly.

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Recipes

And being :newbie:you could use this.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...s-newbies.html

Stacy O 06-25-2013 11:21 AM

This is a great idea -thanks!

Taralb1981 06-25-2013 11:24 AM

Rosethorns,

I have looked at that website, and those recipes look divine! Especially the cheesecake recipes!

Smiles 06-26-2013 01:52 AM

I was looking for something like this! My housemate is gonna have raspberries from the garden soon. It would be awesome to make LC raspberry jam. :)

Thanks for the post.

Tracy

Smiles 06-26-2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttoni (Post 16485236)
I have, but I don't use the honey. I use stevia and erythritol I powder. It works nicely, too.

Peggy,

Just in case you don't know, Netrition carries an sf honey sub that uses xylitol.

Btw, question: do you have any trouble blending the powdered sweeteners into the jam smoothly? I have both of the ones you mentioned. I was thinking that it might be easier to work with the liquid sweetener in this case. Thanks in advance for your feedback. :)

Tracy

rosethorns 06-26-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taralb1981 (Post 16486443)
Rosethorns,

I have looked at that website, and those recipes look divine! Especially the cheesecake recipes!

Yes it is a wonderful site. Did you find anything for your sweeet tooth.

The clouds you should be able to eat. Just watch your serving size.
My sister used them and the cream cheese muffins on induction.

Nigel 06-26-2013 10:42 AM

I am late to the party here...lol

I'm going to make this recipe. Thanks for posting it.

I just ran out of strawberry jam...so yeah!! :sing:

Beeb 06-26-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiles (Post 16487253)
Peggy,

Just in case you don't know, Netrition carries an sf honey sub that uses xylitol.

Btw, question: do you have any trouble blending the powdered sweeteners into the jam smoothly? I have both of the ones you mentioned. I was thinking that it might be easier to work with the liquid sweetener in this case. Thanks in advance for your feedback. :)

Tracy

I have SF honey and boy oh boy I have to watch how much I use because it causes TERRIBLE :eek::p gas issues. Mine has maltitol though so this one you mentioned with the xylitol may not to this.

Smiles 06-26-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 16488860)
I have SF honey and boy oh boy I have to watch how much I use because it causes TERRIBLE :eek::p gas issues. Mine has maltitol though so this one you mentioned with the xylitol may not to this.

Beebs,

I have the one with malitol too. This one is definitely different. If the malitol cause issues, maybe the one with xylitol would work for you. :)

Tracy

Brendajm 06-27-2013 04:24 AM

Do you let the chia gell first and then blend? I was told that chia will only gell if the seed is left whole?? I want to try this.

LindaSue 06-27-2013 07:26 AM

Does the chia leave crunchy bits like raspberry seeds in the jam or does the blender get rid of them? I've only used chia a couple of times and couldn't get past the crunchy consistency. I found that very unpleasant. I only put up with that with raspberries because they taste so good.

pocahontas 06-27-2013 10:56 AM

LindaSue - I'll let you know on Saturday when I pick up some fresh berries at the Farmer's Market. I dont notice it much but I havent used chia in a while either. Unless someone else can answer?

Brendajm - I have blended chia several times in the past and it still gel's.

Nigel 06-27-2013 02:15 PM

I grind up the chia seeds in the coffee grinder. I don't notice them, but maybe that's just me.

I usually put the ground chia in muffins and add just a tad extra liquid.

I'm trying the jam this weekend also and I will report back.

graciejean 06-27-2013 03:52 PM

I dont use chia seed ,is there anything I can use other than the seed?

rosethorns 06-27-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciejean (Post 16490158)
I dont use chia seed ,is there anything I can use other than the seed?

Gracie Pamona Pectin is what I used in all of my low carb jams.They have a website for a store locator I think. They do have it at Amazon.
I wish Netrition carried it.

They also have Ball no and low sugar pectin at about any grocery store.
I've heard people like it.

This one is good if you want to make a small amount too.

I hope that helps.

graciejean 06-28-2013 06:30 PM

Thanks ,yes that helps,would I use the same amount of pectin as you would use the seed

Smiles 06-28-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16490180)
Gracie Pamona Pectin is what I used in all of my low carb jams.They have a website for a store locator I think. They do have it at Amazon.
I wish Netrition carried it.

They also have Ball no and low sugar pectin at about any grocery store.
I've heard people like it.

This one is good if you want to make a small amount too.

I hope that helps.

Esther,

Netrition has a request an item feature. Maybe you could contact them and ask them to carry it. It's worth a shot.

Tracy

Soobee 06-29-2013 04:12 AM

Graciejean, if you buy the Pomona Pectin, it comes with instructions. You would use way less pectin for a cup of berries. I would guess 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. I don't know about the other brands.

Mistizoom 06-29-2013 06:40 AM

Tried this with strawberries. It tastes basically like thickened pureed strawberries. It's fine, but the chia doesn't do anything other than thicken it. They did remain a bit crunchy as well, but that didn't bother me. It just wasn't very jam-like to me. I do have pomona pectin, might have to try that if I want to make something a bit more authentic.

rosethorns 06-29-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciejean (Post 16492007)
Thanks ,yes that helps,would I use the same amount of pectin as you would use the seed

Gracie they have a sheet that tells you how to use their product. You can also make up your own recipes with the Pamoma.

I don't know about the Ball, I've never used the product.

Nigel 07-05-2013 02:04 PM

I made the chia jam recipe the other day.

I didn't actually measure, just guesstimated the amount of strawberries, etc.

It was a pint after I pureed the frozen strawberries. Two days later, it it half a pint and surprisingly to me, jam consistency...but it defintely needs more sweetner.

It tastes like strawberry jam--as for any chia noticeablility, the strawberry seeds probably blend it with the chia and you cannot tell the difference. It's such a simple recipe...thanks to whoever invented it.

Now I'm going to try it with other berries--I really like it, I will add more sweetner next time.