Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Gracie Pamona Pectin is what I used in all of my low carb jams.They have a website for a store locator I think. They do have it at Amazon.
I wish Netrition carried it.

They also have Ball no and low sugar pectin at about any grocery store.
I've heard people like it.

This one is good if you want to make a small amount too.

I hope that helps.
I have this and have used it for 3 minute no cook freezer jam. The only thing I didn't like was the amount of sweetener it called for. I would prefer it less sweet, but my first time with a recipe I follow the instructions. Next time I'll use less sweetener.

Can I ask what is wrong with pectin that one would use chia instead? or is it just another option to use if you do not have pectin available.

I use a sugar blend of splenda/xylitol/erythritol/Diabetisweet( Tablespoons = 5/2/2/2= 11T total = 1 cup sugar sweetness) If I'm avoiding graininess, then I put it into a sauce pan with a wee bit of whatever liquid I will need for the recipe and heat it till it dissolves. I've done this for a cheesecake pie and it was wonderful and no grittiness and more of a real sugar mouthfeel. I didn't do this for the jam, but it turned out okay, just too sweet for my taste.

Could you gell the chia seeds then put it through a sieve and use only the gel?
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gfstitcher
WOE: Lower carb for diabetes, gluten free
Start Date: 2012
Various forms of pectin

I've done a lot of jam making over the years. I prefer Pomona's pectin because it works with any type of sweetener or even no sweetener. It is just pectin and a calcium activator. No other ingredients. You need very little per cup of jam and it keeps for ages. I order it directly from the manufacturer in the bulk package and it is expensive as a one time purchase but on a per-use basis it costs much less than anything else in the store. You can also find it in a small package at some health food stores.

For low carb purposes, Pomona's is the only pectin that I've been able to find that is not packaged with a form of sugar. Even the "no sugar necessary" pectins available locally all contain lots of dextrose. Fine if you just want to reduce your usage of sugar; not good if you need to keep carbs tightly controlled.

All of that said, I want to try this chia idea - good nutrution and sounds so easy!
Gfstitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfstitcher View Post
I've done a lot of jam making over the years. I prefer Pomona's pectin because it works with any type of sweetener or even no sweetener. It is just pectin and a calcium activator. No other ingredients. You need very little per cup of jam and it keeps for ages. I order it directly from the manufacturer in the bulk package and it is expensive as a one time purchase but on a per-use basis it costs much less than anything else in the store. You can also find it in a small package at some health food stores.

For low carb purposes, Pomona's is the only pectin that I've been able to find that is not packaged with a form of sugar. Even the "no sugar necessary" pectins available locally all contain lots of dextrose. Fine if you just want to reduce your usage of sugar; not good if you need to keep carbs tightly controlled.

All of that said, I want to try this chia idea - good nutrution and sounds so easy!
I have been sucessful in canning my jams w/ Pamona Pectin and I did an experment to see how long they will last 5 years is the longest that
I did the experment.

Also if I use liquid sucralose on berries I can it will change to an ugly color. For many years that bothered me. Soooooo now I use erythritol and NO color change. YUM!!!!
I only use Pamona but when I want something quick I use this.

Put it in yr. strawberry pie and you will be amazed.

Last edited by rosethorns; 07-08-2013 at 11:17 AM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote