Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Pesto Mini Meatzas (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/806657-pesto-mini-meatzas.html)

buttoni 06-22-2013 07:56 PM

Pesto Mini Meatzas

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...utt/004-37.jpg
These are incredibly quick, incredibly easy and incredibly good! :yummy: These are all ingredients I keep made up and in my pantry and fridge at all times, so such lunches are a snap! These little gems will require a fork to enjoy as they are a little "wet" to handle with your hands. :) These go well with a nice green salad. These can also be made with ground beef if you prefer.

INGREDIENTS:

12 oz. breakfast sausage (I make mine http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...t-sausage.html)
1 egg, beaten
tsp. each fennel seed & dried oregano leaves (or tsp. Italian seasoning)
Dash garlic powder (if not using my sausage recipe above with some already in it)
c. low-carb spaghetti sauce (I use Luccini basil pesto sauce)
c. pesto sauce (I use my homemade, recipe below)
1 c. grated mozzarella cheese (about 4 oz.)
oz. thin sliced red or green bell pepper, cut into strips

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350. In a medium mixing bowl, well mix the sausage, egg, fennel and oregano with a fork or your hands. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of meat into each of 12 muffin cups and press down with the back of the spoon. I used a silicone muffin pan. Pop into your 350 preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove, tilt and blot off excess grease with paper toweling. Top each meat pattie evenly with 1 tsp. spaghetti sauce. Next spread 1 tsp. pesto sauce on top. Sprinkle each with about 1T. of the mozarella cheese, going back and using it all up evenly. Top with a piece of bell pepper. Pop back into oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. Cool slightly and gently lift them out with a fork onto your serving platter.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 12 mini-meatzas, each contains:

161 calories
13.4 g fat
1.44 g carbs, .36 g fiber, 1.08 g NET CARBS
8.5 g protein
136 mg sodium
109 mg potassium
12% RDA Vitamin B6, 33.5% B12, 14% iron, 14% niacin, 19% phosphorous, 15% riboflavin, 23% selenium, 30% thiamin, 20% zinc

PESTO SAUCE: Blend the following or pulse in a food processor until well-blended. Store leftovers in jar in refrigerator.

c. olive oil
20 fresh sweet basil leaves
1 oz. pine nuts, ground (or walnuts, almonds or macadamias)
2 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch of salt

watcher513 06-23-2013 04:06 AM

Oh yeah, looks scrumptious!

buttoni 06-23-2013 06:44 AM

They were, Watcher. I fixed these on my first day "off" my Potato Hack. And I didn't bounce up from water retention, like I usually do after anything that remotely resembles pizza. So I'm happy with these on more than one front. :)

mojave 06-23-2013 09:15 AM

Thanks for something new to try. Variety keeps us going. They look wonderful!

Dee

rosethorns 06-23-2013 10:45 AM

Peggy they look amazing. I will be making these very soon.

buttoni 06-23-2013 11:12 AM

Thanks, Esther. I almost put 1 slice of pepperoni on the top of each, but didn't want the sodium and kinda glad I left it off, as the pesto flavor is in the driver's seat on these. :)

Mobear 06-23-2013 11:42 AM

Wow!! These look great! Thanks Peggy :)

buttoni 06-23-2013 03:37 PM

Think you'll like them, Mo. I'm serving them to my husband for supper tonight, with a green salad.

Smiles 06-23-2013 08:47 PM

These look yummy, Peggy. I'll be trying them. I also am glad to have your pesto recipe as I was looking to make some. :)

Tracy

buttoni 06-24-2013 11:09 AM

I do my pesto sauce a little different, Tracy, adding the Parm right before using. But then I can use the leftover mixture for other things where I don't want the Parm taste. :)

Smiles 06-25-2013 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttoni (Post 16484926)
I do my pesto sauce a little different, Tracy, adding the Parm right before using. But then I can use the leftover mixture for other things where I don't want the Parm taste. :)

Duly noted. Thanks for telling me. :)

Tracy

AuburnNurse 06-25-2013 03:23 PM

Yummm! These look fantastic. I bet everyone in the family will love them, on top of it! I like that you make your pesto homemade. The best pesto I ever had was made with walnuts, so I've always made my own that way, too!

buttoni 06-26-2013 06:11 AM

I love pesto done with walnuts, too. they add something no other nut does IMO. I think they're better in it than pine nuts, actually.

mojave 06-26-2013 12:48 PM

We had these for lunch. I didn't have any pesto or fresh basil, but still they were delicious. I put some TJ's Shaved Cheese blend on each one and half a kalamata olive. So good and easy. My husband loved them, they will be a regular item. I'll bet kids would love them too. Thanks!

Dee

buttoni 06-26-2013 01:25 PM

They're so good to be so easy, huh? Glad you guys liked them, Dee. I'm going to try a batch using my Sofrito herb blend next time. I think that will be a really good version.

Nigel 06-27-2013 01:25 PM

These look great!!

I used to make pizza by nukking the pepperoni a little to get rid of some of the grease and then I made a layer of pepperoni, then a layer of shredded mozzerella, then another layer of pepperoni and then my sauce and toppings and then baked it all up in the oven until it was kind of melted together.

I had to eat it with a knife and fork, but it was darn good pizza. I finally got smarter and bought the deli sliced pepperoni cuz the slices are so much bigger and easier to work with. Now I'm thinking I could make that in a muffin top pan too.

Gee, Peggy, you make me think because you are such an inventive cook.
Thanks for all the great ideas and recipes too.

buttoni 06-27-2013 07:51 PM

:o Gee, you're makin' me blush, Nigel. Glad you like the recipes, though. :)

Your pizza sounds sooooo good! I love pepperoni, but it just doesn't love me back. I can't handle the sodium load of pepperoni without having sausage fingers the next day and fingers so swollen up I can't get my rings off. I eat very little pepperoni these days and only put it on my husband's side of a pizza. I use Italian sausage more often on my side. But I bet your pizza WOULD work in layers in muffin cups or a muffin-top pan if you have one.

Nigel 06-28-2013 08:15 AM

Bummer about the pepperoni.

I do eat it sometimes, most of the time I try to stay vegetarian. I also give into bacon temptation from time to time.

I generally just make pizza on lavash bread...toasting the bread on one side a little first and then flipping it and adding the toppings to make it crispier. I tried making a few LC crusts and I didn't care for them, so the lavash bread works so much better (and easier) for me. That might be lazy man's pizza, but it's still pizza to me. :)

buttoni 06-28-2013 08:41 AM

I do like the lavash bread used as pizza crust.

Mobear 07-01-2013 03:06 PM

I made these today and am having a BIG problem with.....portion control:o. I had planned on 3 for supper and had 4. The rest are in jeopardy...well in the fridge...but I can't stop thinking about them.

Very tasty and quite easy and too darn good!

buttoni 07-01-2013 07:45 PM

I know what ya mean, Mobear. If it makes ya feel any better, I confess I ate 4, too. :)

Mobear 07-17-2013 08:01 AM

Generally I don't freeze sausage but I'm wondering if I could freeze these? I might be taking a road trip next week and was thinking I would make another batch and then freeze them for my trip.

Also, maybe I could freeze my supply at home to keep me from, ahem, snacking :p

buttoni 07-17-2013 10:22 AM

I would think they would freeze very well, Bear, since everything in them does. The cheese and egg might toughen a bit on reheating, so I'd reheat on the very lowest defrost setting on the MW. But it should work fine.

Ocean 07-18-2013 06:28 AM

This looks really good. I love sausage pizza.

Ocean 07-19-2013 03:30 PM

I just made these for dinner. They are so good! I only had two plus a regular sausage patty since I had some left over sausage. I could easily eat more but sausage is a calorie bomb.

I cheated on the pesto sauce. I'm not sure if what I made was even pesto sauce. I didn't have any fresh basil, pine nuts, or garlic cloves and I didn't feel like getting out the food processor. So I mixed a little olive oil with dried basil, minced garlic, salt, and a little almond flour with a spoon. It still turned out delicious and since I have never had pesto sauce I had nothing to compare it to.

Thank you for this recipe.

buttoni 07-19-2013 06:41 PM

So glad you liked them Ocean. I actually use more dried basil than fresh, as the fresh sometimes sits kinda heavy on my stomach. I eat the fresh occasionally, but in very small amounts.