Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: iameatingjam
low carb deep fry batter

I've been looking online for low carb deep fry batter but kept coming up with mixtures involving things I couldn't/didnt want to get such as pork rinds and carbquck. Not many mentioned almond flour, and those that did also involved other things.

Well, I decided to give it a try using just ground almonds and egg and it works so great I had to come share the good news! It crisps up perfect and doesn't burn and tastes fantastic!

What do you guys use for batter?
iameatingjam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
It depends on what I'm cooking. I use crushed pork rinds & herbs on chicken and fish. Almond flour on pork chops.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Croton130
I have yet to try deep frying using an almond based batter . . . but I regularly "bread" catfish with almond flour (home ground from supermarket blanched slivered almonds) and it is great. Couldn't live without it!

For deep frying I would like to try an almond flour/very low carb beer batter. In fact I think I will try it soon. Almond flour, egg, baking soda and beer sounds like a good combination to me. Will likely use Michelob Ultra, along with some spices.
Croton130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dlk35
WOE: Atkins
Low-Carb Battered Cod - LowCarbFriends Recipes
This is what I have used , works well. Now I use bread crumbs because I can afford the carbs
dlk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dlk35
don't know why it wouldn't post the link i'll try again

Low-Carb Battered Cod - LowCarbFriends Recipes
dlk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Indian cooking employs chickpea flour as a base for batter to fry fish . . . . no reason (well maybe a few) almonds would not work. Will force myself to try it this week and report back. In the meantime I am trying Cauliflower Steaks!
Old 06-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croton130 View Post
Indian cooking employs chickpea flour as a base for batter to fry fish . . . . no reason (well maybe a few) almonds would not work. Will force myself to try it this week and report back. In the meantime I am trying Cauliflower Steaks!
Ok, you've peaked my interest. What are cauliflower steaks? I love cauliflower.

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:59 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iameatingjam View Post
I've been looking online for low carb deep fry batter but kept coming up with mixtures involving things I couldn't/didnt want to get such as pork rinds and carbquck. Not many mentioned almond flour, and those that did also involved other things.

Well, I decided to give it a try using just ground almonds and egg and it works so great I had to come share the good news! It crisps up perfect and doesn't burn and tastes fantastic!

I know what you mean about the carb quick. I avoid wheat as I have an allergy. I actually do like using pork rinds for breading. No one who's eaten the food I've cooked knew what they were. I love them. I just wish someone would sell them all ground up. I know. It isn't a big deal to grind them generally speaking. Sometimes, I just don't feel to take down the food processor just to grind em. And no, I'm generally not lazy at all.

So let me make sure I understand. You coat whatever you're frying in egg and then roll in ground almonds? Do you use whole eggs beaten, egg whites or egg yolk?

Thanks in advance

Tracy
Old 06-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
Ok, you've peaked my interest. What are cauliflower steaks? I love cauliflower.

Tracy
It is a slab of a whole cauliflower, seasoned and roasted....I have a post under the title "Cauliflower Steak" which has one of the many recipes you can find by searching for it on line under than name.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:17 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
I know what you mean about the carb quick. I avoid wheat as I have an allergy. I actually do like using pork rinds for breading. No one who's eaten the food I've cooked knew what they were. I love them. I just wish someone would sell them all ground up. I know. It isn't a big deal to grind them generally speaking. Sometimes, I just don't feel to take down the food processor just to grind em. And no, I'm generally not lazy at all.

So let me make sure I understand. You coat whatever you're frying in egg and then roll in ground almonds? Do you use whole eggs beaten, egg whites or egg yolk?

Thanks in advance

Tracy
When I 'bread' fish with ground almonds I do what you have described, as I would with any other 'breading'. But I want to try making an actual batter by mixing spices, ground almonds and a liquid (probably ultra low carb beer) along with some eggs. I'll let you know what happens.

roger
Old 06-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iameatingjam View Post

So did you mix the egg and almond flour together to form a batter? How thick was it? When I dip meat in egg then almond flour I love the results for pan frying, but the coating is usually pretty delicate and I have to be careful that it doesn't come off when flipping the meat and removing from the pan. Does the batter stick really well? What did you deep fry with this? I tried a low carb deep-fried cheese curd recipe recently and the batter I used was fairly disastrous. The batter didn't stick well at all.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
I use LC foods Corp White bread flour for breading and batters. Thats pretty much all I use it for. It works fabulous just like white flour and non low carbers can't tell the difference.
Makes an awesome onion ring batter.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:56 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croton130 View Post
When I 'bread' fish with ground almonds I do what you have described, as I would with any other 'breading'. But I want to try making an actual batter by mixing spices, ground almonds and a liquid (probably ultra low carb beer) along with some eggs. I'll let you know what happens.

roger
I look forward to hearing how it goes

Tracy