Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Best low carb recipe book you have read or owned?

I know there are 1000's of low carb websites, and I have visited about 25 of them. But I am a cookbook collector ( now, of many 1000's of recipes I will not likely use again, sigh! ) and would like to add 1 or 2 low carb cook books.

I have read one by Dana Carpender. I have one called "1001 Low Carb Recipes", and have the Wheat Belly Cookbook on order at the library.

If you could only have one low carb cookbook, which would it be?

LOL, BTW, my wife now wants the shelf space back in the kitchen. We have a hutch where my 100+ cookbooks reside. Now that I won't often cook high carb meals, they will likely gather lots of dust.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Any of Jennifer Eloff's books, and especially the newest series, LowCarbing Among Friends. They're fantastic books and in addition to being low carb they're gluten-free too.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Any of Jennifer Eloff's books, and especially the newest series, LowCarbing Among Friends. They're fantastic books and in addition to being low carb they're gluten-free too.
Perfect since I gave up wheat as well!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/182.5/135
WOE: NK Paleo
Start Date: September 2012
An oldie but goodie: atkins for life low carb cookbook by Veronica atkins
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
The Internet.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/182.5/135
WOE: NK Paleo
Start Date: September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
The Internet.

Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Quote:
The Internet.
Right! I own about 20 low carb cookbooks, but I always look up recipes on the internet when I want to find something. Most of the recipes in all of those cookbooks are online.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
The Internet.
Funny, but I said I actually like cookbooks and collect them. And that is what I am looking for.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Dana Carpender's 500 Low carb Recipes and George Stella's Eating Stella Style are my two favorites. And I probably have every low carb recipe book ever written...
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
LOL, BTW, my wife now wants the shelf space back in the kitchen. We have a hutch where my 100+ cookbooks reside. Now that I won't often cook high carb meals, they will likely gather lots of dust.
Keep them handy. The ladies and gentlemen here are more than adept at tweaking high-carb favorites to our new WOE. It's very exciting, IMO.
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I so agree Love the Lowcarbing among friends cookbook I got!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #12

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Funny, but I said I actually like cookbooks and collect them. And that is what I am looking for.
I have printed thousands upon thousands of recipes I have found on the internet. I have been doing low carb for 14 years and way back then low carb cookbooks were few and far between. So, I had to find recipes on the internet. I have printed them out and put them in 5 binders. Yes, that is right I have 5 or 6 binders full of low carb recipes. So when someone suggests the internet, it really is a valuable asset. Trust us, we know
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
Start Date: January 1, 2013
I did buy some LC cookbooks, but much prefer the recipes I find here just because of the honest feedback they get. Pretty certain it's saved me a ton of time and money, so double blessing.
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Low Carbing Among Friends is great all volumes. Ilove cookbooks. Any of Jennifer Eloff's cookbooks. I also like Paleo Cookbooks too.

I really think the ones here are awesome. You may not want to throw your cooksbooks away. You can makes some of your favs. that are HC , then make them low carb.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I have printed thousands upon thousands of recipes I have found on the internet. I have been doing low carb for 14 years and way back then low carb cookbooks were few and far between. So, I had to find recipes on the internet. I have printed them out and put them in 5 binders. Yes, that is right I have 5 or 6 binders full of low carb recipes. So when someone suggests the internet, it really is a valuable asset. Trust us, we know
I know... But collecting cookbooks is a hobby for me.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Everyday I go to amazon and search for kindle books relating to low carb, paleo, primal, coconut flour, coconut oil, almond flour....then I sort price by low to high and download anything that is free. Over 3 months I've collected about 11 books this way.

They change around, and are not always the best book, and are not always available to me, but I've found some reciepes I would never have tried from it
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
I also buy cook books off online auctions that are pre 1950 since most of those only have reciepes using unprocessed ingrediants. War time ones are really good because of rationing. They might not be low carb, but I can usually find a few I can adapt easily enough.
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
i just cleaned out my cookbook "collection". Am getting rid of a ton of them. I used to read them like regular books. I now have alot of low carb type books and just won't be using the others. I bet in the last couple of years I have gotten rid of a hundred cookbooks.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Hi

I would second books by Dana Carpender and George Stella. I also like Maria Emmerich's. If I think of any other's, I'll let you know.

I know you want hardcopies. I usually get the Kindle version of the books. This way, I can open them on my cell phone or tablet and look at them as I'm cooking. I know I could print them out, and maybe I will printout many offline from blogs, but I prefer not to have a big book at the counter that will get stained. Lol! That's me anyway. I find that easier, for the time being anyway.

Here are a few others:

Wheat Belly Cookbook- William Davis, MD
Healthy Indulgences Cookbook- Lauren Benning*
Books by Elana Amsterdam*

The asterik indicates you'll have to check if there's a hardcopy version. I'm pretty sure there is for Elana's. These people all have blogs you can checkout too.

I hope this helps.

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #20

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
Pinterest!
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Internet for me too !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Dr. Eades (Protein Power) put out a Low Carb Comfort Food cookbook that's pretty good. Any by Dana Carpeder as people have said, and other ones mentioned. Some of the books, you have to figure out the nutritionals as they don't have them (Elena Amsterdam for example) which is a bummer but doable.

I've been getting books at the library in the last 6-9 months or so, many times 'ordering' them from another branch if my branch doesn't have them. This way I can see if I want to purchase the book somewhere after I see it first. It works out great.

I wouldn't be able to pick only One.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
My LC library is still pretty smallish but my favorite LC cookbook is The Joy of Gluten Free, Sugar Free Baking by Peter Reinhart & Denene Wallace. It's totally grain and starch free (unlike so many gluten free cookbooks) and fits in perfectly with my HFLC way of eating. I've got Elena's new paleo cookbook en route as I type. Can't wait to check it out in person.
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Mrs. S, I Just recently got that Peter Reinhart book (and suger-free). It's great! Only thing is, I'm going to have to figure out nutritionals on that one too but it's got some great recipes in it. That's one that I ordered from the library first, to see if I really wanted it and the answer was definitely yes.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
Start Date: October 2009
I have these and like them.

Better Homes and Gardens phase 2 low-carb recipes.Meridith Publishing Group, copyright 2004

The Big Book of Low Carb by Kitty Broihier and Kimberly Mayone, copyright 2005
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
I am terribly biased so I can't really reply other than to say the Low-Carbing Among Friends cookbooks are very large cookbooks with not just me in it, but several of the best authors in the low-carbing community. It's an honor for me to work with them, believe me; such talent out there!

Thank you dear friends for your support. We would not be in business if it were not for your enthusiasm! I'm working with the authors on volume 4. I am so excited once again! Again, there are many wonderful, gifted people (think Char, Peggy, Carolyn, Barbo, to name a few of my friends) from this board contributing and if anyone is reading and wants to contribute a recipe, then pm me. This time the book will be organized by category and not by author's books. I think people are ready for that.

I like just about all the other books mentioned as well. I'm such a cookbook addict too, Garlic, so I can totally relate. In fact, I have too many. I sent my new daughter-in-law off with armfuls of my cookbooks just 2 days ago. She already has all my low-carb cookbooks as well, but they typically don't worry about carbs too much. They just don't overeat at all and they are young - she and my son. Jon used be an avid low-carber but since his wife doesn't eat low-carb, it's difficult. I am not the kind of mother-in-law to interfere so I just keep quiet. I eat what they serve when I go over there and visa versa.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs S View Post
My LC library is still pretty smallish but my favorite LC cookbook is The Joy of Gluten Free, Sugar Free Baking by Peter Reinhart & Denene Wallace. It's totally grain and starch free (unlike so many gluten free cookbooks) and fits in perfectly with my HFLC way of person.
I love the Reinhart cookbook. Great photos and some good tips I have not seen elsewhere. I LOVE that they also provide weights of ingredients with the recipes. There are recipes that you will not be able to resist trying.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Just bought a new cookbook and received it today but I love the the recipes in it since this lady uses a lot of the same ingredients I like to use like Kal stevia and small amounts of raw honey.

I just got her first book but she's got a new coming out right before Christmas. Her first book is called Satisfying Eats by Melissa Monroe McGehee.

Can't wait to try her banana bread recipe but I will tweak a bit to add some glucomannan since I know it produces a more sturdy product.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Quote:
I know there are 1000's of low carb websites, and I have visited about 25 of them. But I am a cookbook collector ( now, of many 1000's of recipes I will not likely use again, sigh! ) and would like to add 1 or 2 low carb cook books.

I have read one by Dana Carpender. I have one called "1001 Low Carb Recipes", and have the Wheat Belly Cookbook on order at the library.

If you could only have one low carb cookbook, which would it be?

I second the vote for the Low Carbing Among Friends series cookbooks. They are fabulous. I just noticed on Facebook that they are taking pre-orders for Vol. 4 and 5 now. I'll have to put them on my wish list. I have the first three. I like them because they are gluten-free too.
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linnylamb
Stats: 219/166/130
Start Date: August 2010 (This time around!)
I agree that the internet and this talented forum in particular are fantastic resources, but I also enjoy collecting cookbooks. It reminds me of my Mom (a fabulous home cook) who passed many years ago.

My two favorite Dana Carpender books are 500 Low Carb recipes and 15 Minute Recipes. I didn't like the crockpot book at all.

I've also liked some of George Stella's books. Can't remember which ones right now.

Low Carbing Among Friends volumes are super and so is Jennifer. Charski and Kent Altena recipes always turn out great.

I was disappointed in the Eades books I have, but that's just me. I don't do soy flour and don't care to substitute.

Old Atkins cookbooks have been fun, but I don't use many of the recipes in those anymore. Low carbing has come a long way since some of my old books were published. Good pan sauces in some.

Also wanted to mention Fran McCullough's The Low Carb Cookbook. Really enjoyed that one.
Linnylamb is offline   Reply With Quote