Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   bacon grease (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/806255-bacon-grease.html)

IWILLDOIT1978 06-17-2013 06:26 AM

bacon grease

How long does it take for bacon grease to spoil left out in the kitchen in a bowl. Does it need to be in the ice box?

Ntombi 06-17-2013 06:31 AM

I keep mine in a mug in the fridge, but I grew up with relatives who kept theirs out on the stove all the time with no ill-effects.

CurveControl 06-17-2013 06:35 AM

I keep it in the fridge just because it grosses my son out to have it out n the stovetop.

sweetpoison 06-17-2013 06:58 AM

I keep mine in a little crock in the fridge...... I am not sure of how long it keeps... seems like forever, but now that I use nitrate free bacon I kinda wonder if it might spoil faster....

Weezy 06-17-2013 07:21 AM

I too grew up in a house where it kept it in a pot on the stove. I can't do that either...my goes into a crock and stays in the fridge. It does seem to last forever in there!

mmmm....Brussels sautéed in bacon grease with bacon....a little vinaigrette splashed on....some chopped walnuts tossed in and everything eaten warm....heaven!

rndiane 06-17-2013 07:50 AM

My grandmother always kept it next to the stove in a jar as most people did before refrigeration but I keep mine in the frig. Grandma would cook with it daily so it didn't last long. She was raised on a farm and you never threw it out the bacon grease.;). It will keep for quite a while.

princessmommy 06-17-2013 12:05 PM

I have mine in a closeable container on the counter top. I grew up with my Mama and Granny cooking with it Daily so that's where they kept it too :)

Karerose 06-17-2013 12:20 PM

My father always kept it on the counter in a can. I'm thinking we didn't eat bacon often enough that the can didn't get emptied before the next batch of bacon. I know he cooked with it often.

I generally keep it in the fridge. However, I will sometimes leave a little on the counter and use it within a few days. I'm not concerned about keeping it on the counter, but I don't have enough counter space.

ravenrose 06-17-2013 01:57 PM

it is not straight fat, it is full of impurities which could grow stuff. it also has some salt. it probably won't kill you, but I sure wouldn't leave it out!

also, nothing is the same as it was 50 years ago, either.

my mother in law used to leave just about everything out, and most of it molded too. just because people used to do it doesn't mean it's a great plan for us who have perfectly convenient refrigerators right there in the same room! LOL

Nigel 06-18-2013 11:14 AM

I keep mine covered in the fridge in a microwavable glass bowl.
It's great for wilted lettuce/spinach salad.

I cook cabbage in it and I oven roast veggies with it too.

It's great to put on pork when you bake it or fry the pork chops up in it.

It's wonderful on green beans, esp. canned ones. I drain the liquid, and add some bacon grease and saute it all up, sometimes adding onion or mushrooms just to change it up.

I even fry up eggs in it or potatoes for my wife.

IWILLDOIT1978 06-24-2013 11:05 AM

Thanks everyone!! And CUTE dog Nigel!!