Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Charski! Need your help. Stuffed burgers. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/806151-charski-need-your-help-stuffed-burgers.html)

greybb1 06-15-2013 03:48 PM

Charski! Need your help. Stuffed burgers.

I tried to make stuffed burgers tonight but all the "stuff" ended up on the griddle and I ended up with two dry burgers with an empty pocket inside and cheese all over the griddle. :cry:

Charski, you've talked about your stuffed burgers before and they always sound so delicious, how do you get the stuff to stay inside??

Here's what I did; I pressed 4 thin patties, put some folded up american cheese in the middle, put a second patty on top and pressed the sides together well. (Or so I thought) Could it be because I cooked them on the griddler with the top closed?

what am I doing wrong?

Charski 06-16-2013 11:03 AM

Well, you may have overstuffed them? I use about a tablespoon of grated or crumbled cheese and a tablespoon of bacon bits for each one.

Did you start with a pound of meat? I divide that into 4, gently press each one into a fat round disk in my hands, then put it down on the plastic cutting board and press out into a round about 5" across - try to keep it a uniform thickness, and I keep pinching the edges together and patting out til it's a nice round patty, not a ragged edge. Put your stuff in the middle of two of the patties, leaving at least 1/2" around each edge so the meat can seal itself well; top with the other two patties, then I take my fingertips of both hands in an upright fashion and just kind of firmly tap all the way around the edges, if that makes sense - then reshape into a big thick patty, then gently press out to whatever size you want.

Spray the top with olive oil spray, season how you want, and then I flip the flexible plastic cutting board so that the patty ends up flat in my hand, then onto a plate; same with the next patty, then spray and season the second side.

Now I put the plate, uncovered, into the fridge for a minimum of 15 minutes, up to about an hour, to let the meat chill and reset - THEN I grill.

I don't see why it wouldn't work on your new griddler pan though - just be sure your meat is all firmly pressed together before you top it with the goodies, don't overstuff, and try again! :)

Hope it works out - we love ours and eat them frequently (as you know from my menus on the PG!) and this is the method I've used to make them not "leak" out any cheese.

greybb1 06-16-2013 03:59 PM

I'm going to print this out and try again this week. LOL!

Have you ever tried making them with flavored butter like Chicken Cordon Blue?

The one thing I didn't do is set them back in the fridge to firm up. That could have had something to do with it.

Thanks!

Charski 06-16-2013 06:23 PM

Nope, never tried stuffing them with anything but cheese/bacon bits and/or diced Ortega chiles or green onions or caramelized onions. I'd be worried that the butter might cause the patties to fall apart.

BUT - I bet it would be good on TOP after they're cooked! :yummy:

SherBel 06-17-2013 07:37 AM

I wonder if the processed American cheese might get more liquid when melted as well, compared to grated hard cheese, thus making it more likely to leak out?

I love Kraft slices on burgers, but when I've done stuffed burgers, like Charski, I've used a firmer, harder cheese. I've never thought of adding bacon bits though...dang. Gotta try that!

Charski 06-17-2013 07:39 AM

Oh here's a twist - we have a few leftover bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers from yesterday - DH suggested I coarsely chop those and stuff our elk burgers with 'em! OH HAIL YEAH!! Gonna do that tonight, then grill them outside. :yummy:

AuburnNurse 06-17-2013 10:13 AM

Yumm, these sound tasty! Grey, I did them on the Foreman and had the same problem as you. I diced cheese up in tiny cubes and formed the patties around it. Had a good seal, but still lost my cheese for the most part. I think the smashing of the lid made that happen! There's a restaurant that makes these burgers (saw it on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives) and they call them Juicy Lucy's!

PassionateFire 06-17-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16474018)
Oh here's a twist - we have a few leftover bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers from yesterday - DH suggested I coarsely chop those and stuff our elk burgers with 'em! OH HAIL YEAH!! Gonna do that tonight, then grill them outside. :yummy:

That sounds great - only problem is there are never any leftover jalapeno poppers in myhouse :dunno:

Charski 06-17-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PassionateFire (Post 16474260)
That sounds great - only problem is there are never any leftover jalapeno poppers in myhouse :dunno:

:laugh: Yeah, that can be a problem - however, I made poppers with 3 LARGE cans of San Marcos peppers, 2 8 oz. blocks cream cheese, 8 oz. shredded cheese, and 2 pounds of bacon! So there were a LOT of them.

Most of them went to my Dad's house yesterday for Father's Day, and the ones that are left here will go into the burgers. :yummy:

Yeah, maybe that IS the problem, pressing the patties from both sides at once with heat is forcing the cheese out. We always do ours on the gas grill outside, or if it's not nice enough out to do that, then I use my cast iron grill pan on the stovetop.

greybb1 06-17-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuburnNurse (Post 16474258)
Yumm, these sound tasty! Grey, I did them on the Foreman and had the same problem as you. I diced cheese up in tiny cubes and formed the patties around it. Had a good seal, but still lost my cheese for the most part. I think the smashing of the lid made that happen! There's a restaurant that makes these burgers (saw it on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives) and they call them Juicy Lucy's!

Yep. I bet that's it. Next time onto the grill they go. I want a Juicy Lucy!

"Yeah, that can be a problem - however, I made poppers with 3 LARGE cans of San Marcos peppers, 2 8 oz. blocks cream cheese, 8 oz. shredded cheese, and 2 pounds of bacon! So there were a LOT of them."

:eek: Say what????? That's a whole lot of poppers!

Ntombi 06-17-2013 05:43 PM

Seeing this thread decided my dinner for me. I'm going to have a stuffed burger with cheddar, bacon, and hot cherry peppers. :yummy:

Charski 06-17-2013 06:36 PM

The popper-stuffed elk burgers were very good, but the heat of the peppers (and those San Marcos ones are HOT) actually took away a bit from the delicious flavor of the elk.

From now on, I'll eat my poppers separately from my stuffed burgers! :D

Beth2013 06-18-2013 07:19 AM

We've always stuffed our burgers with shredded cheese and those mild green peppers that come chopped in the little can. We do them on the outside grill, so never had an issue with them holding everything in.

Nowadays, I like everything pan-fried in bacon grease :)

lazy girl 06-18-2013 12:19 PM

I used to make large stuffed burgers (about 1 lb of meat each) with onions and mushrooms inside. After turning, I topped the things with cream of mushroom soup which is something no longer in my pantry. We cute these into two portions and ate with a fork. Maybe a little mushroom and cheese cream sauce would do to go over the giant burger.

greybb1 06-18-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazy girl (Post 16476052)
I used to make large stuffed burgers (about 1 lb of meat each) with onions and mushrooms inside. After turning, I topped the things with cream of mushroom soup which is something no longer in my pantry. We cute these into two portions and ate with a fork. Maybe a little mushroom and cheese cream sauce would do to go over the giant burger.

:eek: Wow! Those sound awesome! I could make a gravy with beef broth, cream cheese and sour cream with some mushrooms. That would be very much like my best friends smothered chopped steak burgers that he, of course served with mashed potatoes.

I think I'll surprise him with this and some mashed cauli.

lazy girl 06-18-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greybb1 (Post 16476122)
:eek: Wow! Those sound awesome! I could make a gravy with beef broth, cream cheese and sour cream with some mushrooms. That would be very much like my best friends smothered chopped steak burgers that he, of course served with mashed potatoes.

I think I'll surprise him with this and some mashed cauli.

Oh, would you please post your results as well as the portions in your sauce? I've missed this for years. In fact, my dad made this for our family and everyone I've made it for has really liked it.

greybb1 06-18-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazy girl (Post 16476144)
Oh, would you please post your results as well as the portions in your sauce? I've missed this for years. In fact, my dad made this for our family and everyone I've made it for has really liked it.

Will do! I'm taking out some burger to make this later this week!

lazy girl 06-18-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greybb1 (Post 16476470)
Will do! I'm taking out some burger to make this later this week!

Ok! I'm being patient. :)

AuburnNurse 06-19-2013 01:48 PM

Beth, the shredded cheese and canned chilis sounds phenomenal! Down here in Texas we have a fast-food place, Whataburger, that makes the best and HUGEST dang burgers!! They made one called the green-chili burger. It had a nice juicy layer of about 2-3 tbsp of green chilis in between two patties and they topped it with pepper jack cheese. OMG! If I miss anything with carbs, it's a Whataburger. :cry: But some shredded pepper jack and green chilis in the middle of a Juicy Lucy! I may have to grill this weekend!:clap:

Beth2013 06-19-2013 04:08 PM

Nurse - our son was a huge fan of the Whataburger (he spent 4 years at SMU). He now lives in the land of the In 'n Out burgers (So. Calif), and although he's given up fast food (it's also the land of the super-fit haha), he still swears Whataburgers are BEST lol.

Next time we make our stuffed burgers, I think I'll melt the cheese over top! Good idea.

Charski 06-19-2013 05:11 PM

I have to laugh whenever I hear "Whataburger" - DH and my stepson went back to visit relatives in the Ozarks and his cousins told him they were going to take them to "Waterburger" - DH and DSS were like, NO, I don't want burgers cooked in water! :laugh: Later when they actually WENT they could see how it was spelled - we've all laughed about that for YEARS!

I've never had one but I certainly have had In 'n Out burgers. :yummy: Double double, animal style, protein style, oh yeah bring it ON!

watcher513 06-20-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuburnNurse (Post 16477860)
Beth, the shredded cheese and canned chilis sounds phenomenal! Down here in Texas we have a fast-food place, Whataburger, that makes the best and HUGEST dang burgers!! They made one called the green-chili burger. It had a nice juicy layer of about 2-3 tbsp of green chilis in between two patties and they topped it with pepper jack cheese. OMG! If I miss anything with carbs, it's a Whataburger. :cry: But some shredded pepper jack and green chilis in the middle of a Juicy Lucy! I may have to grill this weekend!:clap:

You need to have that Whataburger, just have it protein style/bunless. They can wrap it in lettuce!

I'm with Charski and the "Double double, animal style, protein style, oh yeah bring it ON!"

SO good!

Beth2013 06-21-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watcher513 (Post 16480212)
I'm with Charski and the "Double double, animal style, protein style, oh yeah bring it ON!"

SO good!

Me, too! We'll be visiting San Diego soon and I never leave without having at least one visit to In 'n Out. I've always ordered the animal style single cheeseburger with bun, but I just looked up the nutrition details of the protein burger and it only has 11g carbs (as opposed to 63 w/bun). A lttle high at 11, but I'm definitely planning for ONE trip (I'll just take a long walk that day lol).

Their animal style fries are also to-die-for, but I'll try to be strong! (hahahaha)