Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Almond Thins, do I add Splenda or not (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/806150-almond-thins-do-i-add-splenda-not.html)

olive oyl 06-15-2013 03:43 PM

Almond Thins, do I add Splenda or not

The recipe I looked at for Almond Thins used 2 teaspoons of Splenda, along with 1/8 teaspoon each of garlic powder and onion powder.

I'm a bit confused, do I add the Splenda or not? It seems odd to add anything sweet when you're putting in garlic and onion powder for a savory type cracker. But this recipe has rave reviews, how do you make yours? With or without sweetener?

Is 1/8 teaspoon of garlic and onion powder enough? And is a pinch of salt enough? Oh, so many questions. :o

I'm thinking of adding onion salt sprinkled on the top before I bake, and one reviewer said to bake at 300 degrees, that they get drier and don't soften.

This sounds wonderful, I miss cheese and crackers and I'm anxious to try the recipe, just want a bit more information about adding Splenda or any other sweetener before I dive in.

Here's the recipe I'm following:

3 ounces almond flour, 3/4 cup

2 teaspoons granular Splenda 

1 egg white 

3/8 teaspoon salt *

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

1/8 teaspoon onion powder

Complete recipe on Linda's Low Carb Site

Tweaker Geek 06-15-2013 04:28 PM

If I remember correctly, wheat thins (the commercial kind) had a kind of sweet taste to them so I'd say yes add the sweetener but maybe cut it back to 1 tsp. with the garlic and onion powders. Personally, I add more garlic and onion powder, probably 1/4 to 1/3 tsp., because I like a lot of flavor. Salt is discretionary also, in my opinion, a pinch would be plenty for me.

That being said, I've never gone wrong with a recipe from Linda Sue, I usually make them as she's written the first time then tweak to my liking if I feel I want any changes.

LindaSue 06-16-2013 08:26 AM

I actually tried making them once without the sweetener and they didn't taste right to me. I also experimented with the amount of salt and decided that 1/4 teaspoon wasn't quite enough and a half teaspoon was too much. Of course that's to my personal taste.

olive oyl 06-16-2013 09:13 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to up the garlic/onion and change the salt to a bit more. I thought I would need a bit more than the recipe called for. And I'll put in the 2 packs of sweetener. I'm going to have this with tuna salad, sounds so good...

smh 06-16-2013 11:03 AM

Wouldn't 2 packs of Splenda be more than 2 teaspoons?

LindaSue 06-16-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smh (Post 16473003)
Wouldn't 2 packs of Splenda be more than 2 teaspoons?

That would be equal to 4 teaspoons.

olive oyl 06-16-2013 12:59 PM

I didn't realize that you were "The" Linda from Linda's Low Carb Site. :clap:

I browse your site so often, everything you've done looks wonderful. Are there any "must tries" that you especially like.

Thanks for devoting so much time to your recipes, everything I've made so far has been really good.

buttoni 06-16-2013 01:57 PM

FWIW I never put the Splenda in mine. Instead, I add 2 tsp. black pepper and a little flax meal for tasty almond-flax cracker.

mojave 06-17-2013 10:33 AM

The recipe I use has 1 cup almond meal and I always use one packet of stevia. I forgot to add it to the crackers I made for a recent road trip and they were not as good.I also add 1 tsp Spike seasoning, no salt. My Spike has salt, you can buy it salt free. It gives the crackers a wonderful taste.

Dee

Linnylamb 07-07-2013 02:54 PM

I second the Spike in almond thins. It's great!

rosethorns 07-07-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojave (Post 16474277)
The recipe I use has 1 cup almond meal and I always use one packet of stevia. I forgot to add it to the crackers I made for a recent road trip and they were not as good.I also add 1 tsp Spike seasoning, no salt. My Spike has salt, you can buy it salt free. It gives the crackers a wonderful taste.

Dee

Wow Wow somebody else loves my Spike.Great Day. I use Spike in them too. No Splenda.
Spike gives them an amazing taste YUM!!!!

But I use Spike alot. No more plain chicken.

mojave 07-07-2013 06:09 PM

Spike rules!!Trader Joe's used to have something called 21 seasoning salute, or something like that. It was very much like Spike but I don't see it anymore. I love Spike in egg salad, in fried zucchini cakes , anywhere a little Omph is needed.

Dee

RVlady 07-07-2013 10:59 PM

I also do not use any sweetener making Almond thins. I also add in about 1/3 cup of sesame seeds and for salt, a little less than 1/2 tsp. very tasty with tuna fish or liversausage and mayo.

when I am overcome with Nacho cravings, I add a little cumin and chili powder to the dry almond flour mix, bake the crackers and when cool add some toppings w cheese and brown a little under the broiler. Then lavishly swoop the little tasty things into sour cream and guacamole.

Connie