Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
favorite cracker recipe roll call

I've saved several cracker recipes, have even bought a great rolling pin for them, but none have been made in this kitchen. Would you please post a recipe link or recipe for one that you like? Maybe I'll get an idea where to start. I so miss crackers for cheeses and dips.

Thanks,
Jane
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
This has been my fave for a long time:

Almond Thins

Easy to make, no exotic ingredients aside from the almond flour, and they're addictively GOOD!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
I love almond thins with sesame seeds added. They require work but worth the time. I no longer roll them out- I wrap a hand in plastic wrap and press the dough out until it is as even as possible on my entire cookie sheet. I want to try the cookie sheet> dough> plastic wrap> slightly smaller cookie sheet>stomp on top method.

The microwaved american cheese Cheez-its are super good and super quick.

Lately I've been frying up little squares of Flatout Light. They taste like plain pita chips and are fantastic for dips and guacamole.

Little circles of shredded cheese in a skillet cook up to great crispy crackers too.

Jen

Last edited by JHoberer; 06-13-2013 at 09:41 PM..
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernBelle
Stats: 296/154/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 29, 2013
Hi Charski!

First, let me admit, I have not baked a single thing, but I have a few recipes on my to do list including...

Garlic Parmesan Flaxseed Crackers

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:
1 cup flax seed meal
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water

Preparation:

1) Preheat oven to 400 F and mix all ingredients together.

2) Spoon onto sheet pan which is covered with a silicone mat or greased parchment paper.

3) Cover the mixture with a piece of parchment or waxed paper. Even out the mixture to about 1/8 inch. I find a straight edge, like a ruler, works well, though you can use a rolling pin or wine bottle too. The important thing is not to let it be too thin around the edges or that part will overcook before the center firms up. So after you spread it out, remove the paper and go around the edges with your finger and push the thin part inwards to even it up.

4) Bake until the center is no longer soft, about 15-18 minutes. If it starts to get more than a little brown around the edges, remove from oven. Let cool completely - it will continue to crisp up.

5) Break into pieces.

The whole recipe is 6 grams of effective carbohydrate plus 35 grams of fiber.
SouthernBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
Start Date: January 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
Lately I've been frying up little squares of Flatout Light. They taste like plain pita chips and are fantastic for dips and guacamole.
First I've heard of these. Is the product available at your local grocer's or do you have to special order it? Thanks!
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tryinghardtolose
Stats: 195/149.8/140
I make (too often lol) and have also seen on here that other people have made the Joseph's Lavish bread crackers. They sell the lavish bread at most Walmarts or can be ordered online as well. They are the BEST cracker, hands down, that I have ever had! We feed them to non LCer's and they have all loved them too!

What I do with them is I lay one out on a cookie sheet. I then rub olive oil all over it. I sprinkle garlic powder on it, some Italian seasoning, and then some parm cheese (the kind from the can.) Then I use a pizza cutter and and cut cracker size pieces. Then I bake it at 350....8 minutes...and then switch front to back, top to bottom, for another 3 to 4 minutes, depending on how dark you want them. You can also spread butter on it and sprinkle with cinnamon and splenda, to make a sweet version.

Trust me on this...they are GREAT either eating them plain or dipping them into something!
Old 06-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Crackers great for Dips

Jane, I like this recipe. The 1 tbsp oat flour is optional.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ond-thins.html

Keep them in a cookie tin at room temp and they will keep their crispiness for ages.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
Thanks for the good ideas. I plan to make some tomorrow. Hopefully I won't eat too many. It will be nice to have some favorite recipes so that crackers can be a part of my lunch when school starts again.

We do make a lot of cheese chips. Our favorite cheese for that is Farmer John's mozzarella.

Jennifer, I don't have any oat flour right now. Does it change the texture of the cracker or the taste; or both?

Last edited by lazy girl; 06-14-2013 at 04:42 PM..
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
It's such a little (1 tbsp) that I think it will make next to no difference to leave it out. That's a guess though.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth2013 View Post
First I've heard of these. Is the product available at your local grocer's or do you have to special order it? Thanks!
Yes, Walmarts carry them. Sometimes they are near the deli, sometimes in the bread aisle. They have varying carb levels. The lowest @ 6 net carbs is garden spinach light flatout but I've never seen them in a store- only on netrition. The light original flatout is 7 net carbs and almost everywhere that sells flatout. 1 flatout actually makes more chips than I want. I naturally eat about 2/3 of one in chip form-and in cream cheese roll-ups too come to think of it. The only time I eat a whole one is if I use it as a pizza crust.
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
This is still my fav. Every batch is consistent: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-crackers.html
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
Start Date: January 1, 2013
Thanks, Jen. My Walmart doesn't have them but Flatout's website tells me my Walgreen's does. And maybe my Kroger's as well. Your method sounds fast and easy and I'm all over fast and easy, so on my list of things to try. My list is getting longer by the day -- I'll be in the kitchen for years lol!
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
A cautionary word.....All the Flatout breads I've checked have sugar in them. They even taste sweet to me.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I make several different cracker recipes but I really like the ones made with Lavash bread as Tryingtolose mentioned, I do them the exact same way. I also make pita chips with the Joseph's pita breads, brush them with olive oil, sprinkle with some taco seasoning or powdered cheese seasoning, cut into triangle pieces (like doritos) and bake the same as the crackers.

I make Kevin's saltine crackers and graham crackers and recently made a cheesy "ritz" type cracker. I need to find the recipe for those again, they're really good and I'm almost out. I make sure I always have several different kinds of crackers on hand, they keep well and stay crispy.

Oh, and I bake mine on a pizza pan that has the holes in the bottom for making a crispy pizza crust.

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack1
Bump
cjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote