Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Bored with the same old food...need inspiration (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/805955-bored-same-old-food-need-inspiration.html)

Britpiglet 06-12-2013 05:58 AM

Bored with the same old food...need inspiration

Hello,

I don't know if anyone is like me- I get tired of eating more or less the same old food regularly and as I'm not a very good/ adventurous cook, I don't tend to explore new recipes. It's rather stressful having to think about what to eat esp after a long day at work and makes staying on low carb rather challenging.

I've also bought a couple of recipe books but apart from a few recipes which I tried. they are not that motivating and I kept going back to my old recipes. I realised that I need a little more structured help but still with the kind of flexibility to fit around my lifestyle.

Would like to hear your suggestions on what inspires and help you on the low carb journey?

Have a nice day!

theredhead 06-12-2013 06:38 AM

I'm a big fan of Linda Sue's recipe site. She not only has wonderful recipes, but even has some nice menu plans. Here's the link to her site: Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home

lterry913 06-12-2013 11:47 AM

I do better sticking to meat and veggies and then experimenting with my dessert...that is something I can make for the week and then just slice it up in portions and have after dinner...I find cooking meals tedious and keep going back to the same things over and over.

I have never deprived myself of dessert so that is where I experiment. I read an article about Gary Taubes in Reader's digest and he said he ate dessert of sf pudding made with heavy cream. That is where I got the idea I could do this and not have to give up everything to lose.

good luck with the recipes...I do like to put mayo on chicken breast or pork chops and then roll in crushed pork rinds and Parmesan cheese in equal parts...bake at 350 till brown turning once...prob 20 to 30 min per side depending on thickness....yumm

rosethorns 06-12-2013 12:42 PM

There are some really great recipes. I still use this and there are some pictures too. I get bored too.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/re...t-recipes.html

I second Linda Sue's website.

Karerose 06-12-2013 01:56 PM

Start trying to be more of an adventurous cook on the weekends when you have more time. That is when I'm more in to trying something new and during the work week I do the easy tried and true stuff, plus some of the adventurous leftovers.

Some of the regular easy work day week stuff I'll vary the spices (or other basic ingrediants) I use so it doesn't seem like the same old same old. For instance one way I make pork chops is baked with coating. Sometimes the coating is just plain old parmesan cheese, and sometimes I add a bit of cayenne pepper, or that 12 spice stuff from Trader Joes, or some other spice. Then I'll also vary how I make it stick to the meat. Sometimes just dipped in beaten egg, or dipped in heavey cream, or mix of heavy cream and egg, or mayo. I'll also vary the coating from parmesan cheese to some other kind of cheese, or add some crushed up pignoli nuts or other crushed nuts, or crushed pork rinds.

I don't have to really think about it, I just grab the pork chops and then open the fridge and cupboard and see what calls to me that particular day. Also when I just do a basic parmesan cheese I'll sometimes divide it up and have different spices with it. That way I can cook a bunch at once, but have leftovers that taste different.

mmorris 06-13-2013 05:12 AM

I have a small blog with recipes that may help you :)
Low Carb Way Of Life

mojave 06-13-2013 08:40 AM

mmorris, your crackers look wonderful! I'll be making them soon.

Britpiglet, when I'm bored with my cooking I go simple. I try to have lots of salad ingredients on hand, and a fresh yummy salad makes an easy meal. I might have greens, avocado, cherry tomatoes, sliced deli turkey breast, good olives and shaved parmesan with a dressing of olive oil and lemon juice. In the summer it is our go to lunch or a nice cool supper.

Dee

Dee

rosethorns 06-13-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmorris (Post 16468442)
Low Carb Way Of Life

I would love to know how to pronounce your name . It's beautiful.

My sister and I are going to make it today. We are making the muffin in a minute with the peanut flour.

Thanks

Mistizoom 06-13-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmorris (Post 16468442)
Low Carb Way Of Life

Thanks for the link! Looks like you have some great ideas there.

mmorris 06-13-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16468782)
I would love to know how to pronounce your name . It's beautiful.

My sister and I are going to make it today. We are making the muffin in a minute with the peanut flour.

Thanks

Thanks my name is pronounced Maria lane (small) a Marialanea