Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AmelieWannabe
Stats: 348/269/199
WOE: Atkins (mostly)
Start Date: 2/13/12
SF Ice Cream - Make Your Own or Clemmy's

I've been buying Clemmy's sugar-free ice cream, which is expensive. It came to mind that I could buy an ice cream maker and do it myself at home. The top-rated maker on America's Test Kitchen is around $40. Does anyone make their own SF ice cream at home? Does it come out rich, creamy and smooth? Is it too icy without sugar? Comments, suggestions and advice appreciated!
AmelieWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
I bought a Cuisinart a year or 2 ago and it seems to work pretty well. I use equal parts almond milk and heavy cream for the liquid. You can use all heavy cream, but I think it's just TOO rich. I put about 4 egg yolks per batch and sweeten it up with some EZ sweetz and vanilla extract for flavor. The thing with homemade SF ice cream is that it tastes best right out of the churn. It's like soft serve. If you put it in the freezer, it will freeze hard as a rock. Some recipes call for lecithin, glycerin, or a little bit of vodka to make the texture better, but I have never tried any of those. I haven't had any problems with it being icy, and yes it's rich, creamy and smooth.

One more thing, I don't like to stand over a hot stove and stir the mixture for 10-15 minutes to cook the eggs. So I have started using pasteurized eggs. I put everything into my Nutribullet, give it a good spin, get it cold, and put it in the churn. I can't tell any taste difference. Hope that helps!
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
if you use splenda or something like that to sweeten, you will have to eat right away like jmc says. otherwise, you need powdered erythritol, which is super expensive and will probably negate any savings you get making it at home.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 1, 2013
There are some really great, informative threads on homemade ice-cream here. I think I've read them all lol. I made some mocha ice-cream for DH -- just kind of threw it together from several recipes I found here. He thought it was great and when it got rock hard in the fridge it didn't bother him a bit lol. He just waited til it softened a bit and finished it off. I have the Cuisinart...a bit noisy, but makes great ice-cream.
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1annewil
Stats: 165/150/162
WOE: Atkins/JUDD/Potato Hack/
An easy ice cream is heavy whipping cream with frozen blueberries and a little liquid splenda to taste. I whiz a few times in bullet or ninja and eat immediately-soft creamy and good.
1annewil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
They say to use alchohol to keep it spoonable or glycerin. Glycerin never worked well for me. I haven't tried the alchohol .
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I tried using glycerine but even at a very small amount, the ice cream had too much of a slicky mouthfeel. I would love to have a good recipe that wasn't too rich that would not get icy (don't mind if it freezes hard as long as it isn't crystally when it thaws).

That said, I think Breyer's chocolate CarbSmart has Clemmy's beat hands-down for flavor and texture. At $2.50-$3.00 per 13 oz, the price can't be beat either.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
Start Date: January 1, 2013
There's a good looking vanilla ice-cream recipe at All Day I Dream About Food. She uses 1/4 C. of Vodka, I think. It also includes her recipe for LC sweetened condensed milk. Not sure when I'll get around to trying it, but it looks delish.
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AmelieWannabe
Stats: 348/269/199
WOE: Atkins (mostly)
Start Date: 2/13/12
Thanks, everyone. I'm going to look for the Breyer's mentioned by dianafoot since I'd rather buy ice cream than make it.
AmelieWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stephiegrams
Stats: 147/135/125 5 ft 2"
Start Date: July 2004
I bought a personal ice cream maker ( inspired by sugarfreesheila) I have been experimenting with different recipes. No cook recipe I use is .
1 rounded scoop of protein powder(chocolate)
1/4 cup of Davinci sugar free syrup
2 T of cocoa powder
1/2 Cup of heavy cream
1 raw egg (or equiv. of pasturized eggs)
Stir thoroughly with a whisk , then chill thoroughly. Put in ice cream maker for approx. 6 minutes. It gets rock hard on the outside of the maker, then softer in the middle. The taste and texture is great. I have also made lots of flavors like Coffee, Peppermint, Banana using unflavored protein powder or vanilla.
stephiegrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Subbing. I just bought a little ice cream maker.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flossie73
I have a cuisanart, too. Love it! Here's my recipe, and it stays scoopable. I store it in a plastic Tupperware container that it fills completely. I have stored ice cream in a glass bowl with a lid and found it to get too icy or crystal-like. I wonder if the way you store it makes a difference. I've also made it with less xanthan and it has turned out scoopable. One other thing I have noticed is that when I've used less fattening milks, the texture has been off then, too. Oh, and my homemade vanilla is made with vodka.

Scoopable Vanilla Ice Cream
(from Becky @ Becky's Place)

1c half & half
1/2c xylitol
30 drops liquid vanilla stevia
pinch salt
1T homemade vanilla extract
1tsp xanthan gum
2c heavy whipping cream

Pour h&h, xylitol, stevia and salt into a bowl. Stir and let xylitol dissolve. Add vanilla extract and xanthan gum, whisk until blended. Pour in hwc. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour. Follow directions for machine to make ice cream.
flossie73 is offline   Reply With Quote