Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frogg
Stats: 220/154/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2013
Third loaf:

This is one of the biggest pieces.

As you can see mine never seems to rise as high as Maria's pictures. It's really more like a rye loaf which is fine by me. I baked it for 70 mins and I can still see a small bit of gumminess at the bottoms of the loaf, just a little, so next time I will try for 75 mins. I did turn my oven down to 325 in the last ten minutes as I was worried it would brown too darkly or burn. I think that won't be an issue after all.

I used almond flour from Bulk Barn this time instead of Bob's Red Mill.

I also added two tablespoons of nutritional yeast. One of my daughters walked by the kitchen and said, "Mmmm, bread baking. Smells good!"

It's still a great bread but I only eat it grilled or toasted. It's just too chewy for me plain. Maybe I'll try shaping it into buns like other people have done and use it for burgers.

Here's my current favourite way to eat it:

I 'butter' the bread on both sides with cooled bacon drippings and then grill the bread on both sides. Then add the cheese for a delicious grilled cheese sandwich.
frogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
Your bread turns out great compared to mine. lol Grilled cheese sounds scrumptious.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
I did it exactly according to the recipe the first time I tried it and it came out GREAT. Since I did only a half recipe, it went really fast, too. The second time, I had to change the recipe (of course). Since I prefer whole wheat breads, I tried using almond meal (with the skins) and got a darker, denser loaf. My one mistake: I forgot to grind the psyllium to a powder, and I suspect that's part of the density. I am loving this bread. So far it's good with nearly everything; my one complaint is that it doesn't soak up liquids well, so it doesn't really work for French toast. Otherwise, it's good stuff!

KathyCan, you mentioned that you use this for pizza dough. Do you bake the crust fully, and then add the toppings, or do you cook it halfway in the oven and then add the ingredients, like yeast dough? I'd like to try it for cinnamon rolls, if it can be made without the ACV. The sharp flavor doesn't really go with sweet recipes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amazing Bread.jpg (87.9 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by MerryKate; 02-27-2014 at 11:15 PM..
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:02 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
The acv activates the baking soda to aid in rise of the loaf...so if you are going to leave out the avc I would increase baking powder used. I f making a pizza with this I would cook it on a stone first ... this bread can be gummy and I think if not fully cooked before topping it would have a gumm/slimy texture under the toppings...jmo as I have not tried it as a crust.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zachys_gramma
Hi frogg.... noticed the shape of your loaf is different from some of the others pictured here.... are you using a loaf pan or just baking it on a cookie sheet?
zachys_gramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
I think the key to this recipe is quickness. Like in her video, have everything ready to go. And preheat the oven. After putting in the boiling water, only mix it as long as you need it to come together.

I have better success when I divide the dough into 6 pieces. It makes large sub rolls. Divide it up quickly, only do a basic shaping- don't mess with the dough too much. Get them into a rough oval balls shapes, plop them on the cookie sheet and bake them as quickly as possible. My one failure was the time I pressed them flat. Don't do that!

The psyllium husk powder that you choose is vital. Use her product and method or a tried and true brand someone else has success with. I use Swanson's brand which I order online.

Jen

Last edited by JHoberer; 02-28-2014 at 11:34 AM..
JHoberer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:26 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachys_gramma View Post
Hi frogg.... noticed the shape of your loaf is different from some of the others pictured here.... are you using a loaf pan or just baking it on a cookie sheet?
I'm baking it in a bread pan but it never rises or fills it out the pan. I shape it more like the rye bread shape and it stays that way
Old 03-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Mine rises quite a bit. The rolls look like they're going to burst. I really think pushing it down in the pan might prevent the rise somehow. Try plopping it in the pan and leaving it alone- even if it is ugly.

Had cinnamon toast for breakfast today. I sliced thin slices, laid them on a nonstick foil covered cookie sheet. I melted a few tablespoons of butter, sweetened it with EZ-Sweetz and added a teaspoon of Sweet Buttery Dough emulsion. I mixed it well and spread it on both sides of eachof the 6 slices I was making. I broiled them until starting to brown on the top, flipped them over then broiled until the new tops were crispy. I sprinkled a mixture of Swerve and cinnamon on top. Delish!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #69
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Dang. I want to try these rolls and bread so much. But I'm so skeered I'll mess up. I've read most of every page of posts in the two threads but my have missed this.

Has anyone developed a "HACK List" for her recipe? Like HACKS of tips for success?

Tips for Success:
1. Be sure the water is boiling and all ingredients are assembled red to go (even to the point of adding the eggs and water at the same time).

2. Be sure to blend until a smooth (non-lumpy) dough forms.

3. Be sure to work quickly and don't over-work the dough once it's smooth. Get your rolls down and in the oven quickly.

4. Brush rolls and bread with water just before baking.

5. Slit the tops to allow dough room to expand

6. Tent with foil if top gets too brown before reaching the cooking time.

7. Don't take the rolls/bread out before they are fully cooked or they will fall.

8. Follow Maria's exact quantities and directions especially regarding the psyllium husks.

Any others that I'm missing?

Thanks to everyone for this help and tweaks in this recipe!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:24 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Good list of hacks, pooticus - I'd missed half of those recommendations. Time to make another loaf!
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chickamomminy
Stats: 248/183/148
WOE: Atkins (modified)
Start Date: April 2009
I can not make bread from this recipe...but!

OMG- I made rolls! The most wonderful low carb rolls. I am here eating a ham and cheese sandwich as I type, you would not believe the smile on my face! I made them two days ago and did not post until I duplicated the results today! I swear I'm ready to do a happy dance!

I totally agree with pooticus' tips. (While you do have to work fast, keep stirring the ingredients until the dough is really combined and consistent, I worked too fast and put them in too 'wet' the first time, as the flours suck up the moisture as you mix!). The other key for me? I had to put my psyllium powder in my bullet for a bit. I just keep grinding the bejeezus out of it until there was NO doubt it was a 'fine' powder. Made all the difference in the world over my failed attempts.

Today, I even tweaked! I added some cinnamon, a few raisins, and some liquid sweetener to the almond flour batch! Still look just as beautiful (and tonight I am making some walnut maple cream cheese). I can not wait for breakfast tomorrow! While not exactly the cinnamon raisin bagel of my dreams, I have a feeling this will do quite nicely!

I even made the coconut flour ones today! They are smaller, but I expected that because of so much less flour. They still rose and browned beautifully. Planning on using one as a hamburger bun tonight!

The (possible) bonus? I was left with all those egg yolks. So, I attempted to make a low carb version of a family favorite (pasties de nata)- a Portuguese egg custard pastry (I used a pie dough version I found on here to replace the puff pastry crust). I have to let them cool a while before I can taste them, but have my fingers crossed big time!

I think I may have died and gone to LC Heaven!!!

As of today (3/29/10) I have lost 65 pounds!!! 35 more to go!
Chickamomminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chickamomminy
Stats: 248/183/148
WOE: Atkins (modified)
Start Date: April 2009
Questions: has anyone tried Maria's “HEALTHIFIED” ENGLISH MUFFINS yet? They may be my next challenge!
Chickamomminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:02 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Dang. I want to try these rolls and bread so much. But I'm so skeered I'll mess up. I've read most of every page of posts in the two threads but my have missed this.

Has anyone developed a "HACK List" for her recipe? Like HACKS of tips for success?

Tips for Success:
1. Be sure the water is boiling and all ingredients are assembled red to go (even to the point of adding the eggs and water at the same time).

2. Be sure to blend until a smooth (non-lumpy) dough forms.

3. Be sure to work quickly and don't over-work the dough once it's smooth. Get your rolls down and in the oven quickly.

4. Brush rolls and bread with water just before baking.

5. Slit the tops to allow dough room to expand

6. Tent with foil if top gets too brown before reaching the cooking time.

7. Don't take the rolls/bread out before they are fully cooked or they will fall.

8. Follow Maria's exact quantities and directions especially regarding the psyllium husks.

Any others that I'm missing?

Thanks to everyone for this help and tweaks in this recipe!
The only other thing I would add is that I baked mine on a pizza stone instead of in a pan to avoid the gummy bottom...this worked really well...the slits in the top help as well.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Here are my pictures from the other day- a close up of 2 rolls (I made 6) and my pulled pork sandwich.

The next time I make these it will be an attempt with yeast!!!

Last edited by JHoberer; 03-03-2014 at 07:33 PM..
Old 03-04-2014, 06:40 AM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
Here are my pictures from the other day- a close up of 2 rolls (I made 6) and my pulled pork sandwich.

The next time I make these it will be an attempt with yeast!!!
They look delish...keep us posted on the yeast version.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

That picture was so big it is making me drool for sure.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Old 03-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #78
the condiment queen

Jen those are freaking awesome! Did you do anything different than the tips listed in the Hack list to get that outcome??
Old 03-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Success!!

Here is my new recipe- much, much improved. I tried them with bbq pulled pork and pineapple flavored sf cream cheese. My next trial will be longer wait time with proofing the yeast (I was in a hurry) and to try it without any flour at all. Or oat flour if that doesn't work. They ought to be gluten free.

I started the yeast in my mixing bowl and then just continued as if it wasn;t in there. I did modify a few other things... I added broth for flavor, less salt because the broth is salty and less broth than the original recipe's water because I used water in the yeast mixture.

1 T yeast
1 t blackstrap molasses (13 carbs)
1/2 t flour (1 carb. Really? Is that right?)
3 T lukewarm water

Mix together and let sit for a minimum of 15 minutes.

3 cups blanched almond flour (10 oz)
10 TBS psyllium husk powder (no substitutes) (90 grams) (must be a fine powder, measure weight to be sure) (I use Jay Robb whole husk psyllium ground in a blender until half its origonal volume, other psyllium may not have the same results)
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
6 egg whites (7 oz) (*I used 5/6 cup egg whites from carton this time)
5 TBS apple cider vinegar (2 oz)
1 1/3 cup BOILING chicken broth or prepared bouillon)

My tips: Have everything ready to go, measured out in little cups, etc. Make sure the oven is preheated. The most important part is when the vinegar joins the mix. I add it immediately before the boiling broth, mix until just thickened and pickupable. It will be sticky a bit. Make sure not to mess with the dough much- quickly make rolls and set them down. Do not flatten them. Ugly is better than gummy!

For 8 rolls on ungreased nonstick foil at 350, I baked these rolls for 44 minutes.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nanoparty!
What does 'slit the tops' mean, exactly? Like just cut a slit on the top of each roll/sub before baking? Did you do that too, Jhoberer?
nanoparty! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #81
the condiment queen

nono in my high carb days, cutting a slit is meant to be 1, 2 or 3 slits about 1/8-1/4 inch deep in the dough. To me, it was easiest to do with a single-side straight razor blade used for only bread stuff. I would either wet it or oil it to help it cut easier. I've also used an exacto knife and very sharp knives. When I finally get the nerve to make these (and I'm close), I will likely make an "x" or cross-cut.

Sorry to jack Jen's and other's answers. They may do it differently on this bread!
Old 03-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
nono in my high carb days, cutting a slit is meant to be 1, 2 or 3 slits about 1/8-1/4 inch deep in the dough. To me, it was easiest to do with a single-side straight razor blade used for only bread stuff. I would either wet it or oil it to help it cut easier. I've also used an exacto knife and very sharp knives. When I finally get the nerve to make these (and I'm close), I will likely make an "x" or cross-cut.

Sorry to jack Jen's and other's answers. They may do it differently on this bread!
No, any advice helps! I've never made bread in my life, so literally every tip helps. I'd love to try and make this one too, although it seems like a hell of a loaf to get right.

So before you bake, just cut something like an 'x' or cross cut on top with a sharp knife...? For a roll or in a loaf? Am I getting this right?
Old 03-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

I don't make any slits. But you can make a slit with scissors, either one down the middle or in an X. Not too deep.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #84
the condiment queen

Oh Jen that's a great idea about the scissors!

Nano, I would listen to Jen, she's made such beautiful breads and rolls!! (Also, sorry for misspelling your name earlier! Cold fingers, and a sleepless night. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh Jen that's a great idea about the scissors!

Nano, I would listen to Jen, she's made such beautiful breads and rolls!! (Also, sorry for misspelling your name earlier! Cold fingers, and a sleepless night. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Oh it ain't no thang!! I know the travails of cold fingers all too well.

Definitely gonna take everyone's advice if I ever get the nerve to try these out!!
Old 03-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #86
Senior LCF Member

ok. I plan on making these buns this weekend. Plan is the key word. I hope is more like it.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Definitely do rolls before trying a loaf! You can do it!

My issue is cold toes. But I can't blame my typos on them.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

I'm thinking of adding a tablespoon of vital wheat gluten to the recipe. Anyone else tried it?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:09 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
Has anyone else made these with coconut flour?

I just made two batches using coconut flour yesterday - first I mismeasured my flour, like an idiot. tortillas and chips for these.

second I used exact measurements to the gram: 28g ACV, 7 oz hot water (not quite boiling, from electric kettle), 7 oz carton egg whites, 45g ground NOW psyllium husk, and 70g bob's red mill coconut flour.

They baked 65 min in convection oven at 350 and had "bread" throughout - no huge bubble (just little ones in spots) like the ones where I didn't measure enough coconut flour. However, after 65 minutes they were still a little soggy inside, like jhoberer's picture. Next time I'll continue baking.

I feel like I need to further increase the coconut flour or reduce the egg whites to help dry it out... dunno.

I keep making this recipe since I have all the ingredients and it's a pretty fast prep job, and they never stick. I've never had problems with rising, only that they rise TOO much!

I used the electric hand mixer for my first batch but it was already in the dirty dishes for my second, so I just used a spoon to mix. I poured in the whites and vinegar first like maria's instructions and patted my dough down to only 1/2 in thick.

Since I've never had issue with them not rising, or falling (I can even take them out and put them back in, they seem to rise 100% after 20-30 min) I don't think working super fast or dumping everything in at the same time is really neccesary.

I just wonder if it's the measurements keeping it from drying out or not. Now I guess I'll try with almond flour next. D:

frogg your loaf looks great! Did you follow the "toasted sub sandwich" ingredients, or the "amazing bread" recipe ingredients (titles from maria's website, I noticed the amazing bread had slight differences in amounts.)
Emita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emita View Post
frogg your loaf looks great! Did you follow the "toasted sub sandwich" ingredients, or the "amazing bread" recipe ingredients (titles from maria's website, I noticed the amazing bread had slight differences in amounts.)
I use the amazing bread recipe, but my problem is opposite of yours in that mine doesn't rise very much haha. It's still delicious, I'm just trying to get it a little less dense.