Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Well, my bread did not rise at all. I don't know why. I left it in an extra 10 min., but it's still a bit gummy on the inside, and flat.

However, the taste is so good that I'm going to try again and do rolls next time. Maybe those will work better than a single loaf. Also going to try a higher temp, as some of the comments in Maria's blog mention that she's using a convection oven, so a regular oven needs to be a bit hotter.

I really, really like the taste of this bread. It's the most bready-tasting LC bread I've ever had.
6/22/13: the 100 lb. loss only lasted a few weeks, and I've since regained some of the weight. Stats updated to reflect this.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2013, 06:29 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

OK, round 2 is in the oven! Changes I made this time:

-- I did rolls in my muffin top pan, instead of single loaf.
-- Measured out the ACV by the # of tbsp. instead of by weight, like I did the first time. The recipe says 1 oz. of ACV, but that was nowhere near 2 1/2 tbsp.
-- Bumped up the temp to 375.
-- Used the dough hook attachments on my hand mixer, instead of the beaters.

The dough did feel a little less gummy when I was forming it this time, so here's hoping it rises better...
Old 07-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I want here your results.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Well, the rolls did rise, but they are still a little bit gummy on the inside. I baked them for 60 min. They do seem LESS gummy than when I made the single loaf. I think I will eventually get it right. Just need to fiddle some more. I wish I knew how Maria was getting such flawless results every time!
Old 07-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

You know what, I just cut another one open, and it's not gummy. The texture is elastic, but it's cooked all the way through. Looks pretty good, actually! I'll post pix later.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Just Made the Loaf Today

I made Maria's Healthified Bread today as a loaf in an 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 bread pan. I measured everything specifically like she said. I used Honeyville Grain almond flour and Now Psyllium Powder. It looked very brown in the oven so I took it out. I think I let it bake about 40 or 45 min. Anyway it looked fine (just like Maria's in her video) except I used the recipe for the sandwich rolls so it didn't make as large a loaf as hers. It still rose above the pan. However, after it cooled and I took it out of the pan it had about 1/2" at the bottom of the loaf that wasn't done I guess and was wet. It looked like undone dough. I was disappointed but it was probably my fault for not letting it cook long enough. I just cut off the whole bottom of the loaf to the part that looked done and ended up getting four kinda thick slices out of it. But the taste was pretty amazing and texture was pretty good. I'm definitely going to try this again maybe as rolls in my muffin top pan. I did work fast with the dough and stuck it in the oven fast. I think my oven might not have been right at 350 either as usually it is not as hot as the temperature says. I think next time I'll turn my oven up just a tad.

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
I just made this bread. Weighed everything. Made rolls in muffin pan and woopie pan. Baked for about 40 minutes for rolls. No way they were done. Baked for about 15 more minutes. Still not done. Getting pretty dark and dried out on the outside. Still raw looking. Baked 15 more minutes. Still looked raw but when cool they were more bread like. So the outside 1/4 inch is dry and crunchy and the middle bread like. They are tasty with butter on them. But make a sandwich I would say not.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:25 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I make her rolls all the time. I have to cook them 15 minutes longer than she says. However, I am using a coconut flour/oat fiber blend. I need extra liquid to make them work, and that may account for the extra cooking time needed.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

I took another look at my rolls this morning. Glad I didn't throw them out. They actually do seem quite alot like a real roll. Had a little sandwich and yummy.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
Start Date: January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I make her rolls all the time. I have to cook them 15 minutes longer than she says. However, I am using a coconut flour/oat fiber blend. I need extra liquid to make them work, and that may account for the extra cooking time needed.
Soobee, I'd love to try your version of the recipe. Is it posted?
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I don't know. I'll post it here.
Maria's Rolls Coconut Flour/Oat Fiber Version
1/4 cup oat fiber
1/4 cup coconut flour
5 Tablespoons psyllium
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon of salt
3 drops sucralose
1 cup egg whites
1 1/3 cup boiling water
Mix dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients except water. Mix. Add boiling water and mix until the dough seems to come together, about a minute. Plop on a silicone lined cookie sheet in 6 blobs. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Then I flip them over and put them back in the cooling oven to harden the bottoms.

If the rolls come out squat and pebbly, they needed more water. If they puff up beautifully, but collapse when cooling, they needed more oven time. A lot of this has to do with your coconut flour. the rolls may need a little extra depending on the brand.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Soobee!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Just as an update from my last post in this thread, the rolls turned out AWESOME, much better than the single loaf. I took them with me on my road trip, and they were the best thing ever.

I think my turning up the temperature and baking them a little longer than she says were the keys to me finally getting the texture right. Also, I ground the bejeebers out of the psyllium, until it was like powdery dust. I adore these rolls and will make them often. Fabulous for sandwiches or even by themselves, though they did crunch a bit when eaten plain (from the psyllium). That doesn't bother me a bit, but thought I should mention it.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
I think the crunch totally depends on the psyllium you use. I use Swanson psyllium husk powder (bought online from Swanson's). I never have had a crunchy bite.

When you get it right, Maria's rolls are soft and chewy and rise really high.
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
I made and they were great.
Used the coconut flour as trying to cut back on almond flour with the omega 6's.
I am at high altitude so I used whole eggs, added bk soda. Nutritional yeast for a bread like flavour. I slit the good of the 5 panini buns. Baked it at 400 for 43minutes,......next time will be less as it had too thick a rust, but was delicious.
I also used psyllium husk from the health good store in canada and grind it in my bullet.
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Interesting idea to add nutritional yeast to a bread recipe! *facepalm* I've added yeast to other recipes (have given up on the one in this thread but more power to y'all that can get it to turn out ) but never thought about nutritional yeast. I bet the flavor is stronger and it's easier to work with. . .
Old 01-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyCan
Stats: Lost 100 lbs in 2001, restarted 6/4/2012
WOE: Atkins for Life
Start Date: Restarted 6/4/2012
I make Maria's rolls all the time. You do need to let them cook longer than you think. When I make these, I add dried minced onion and dried garlic bits to the dough. Delicious. I also use this recipe to make the best pizza crust. I spread an entire batch onto my silpat (spray your palms with Pam spray to keep from sticking), sprinkle with some Italian seasoning and bake about an hour. Be sure to keep this in the fridge, but don't seal. Here's a photo of my rolls and I'll look for one of my pizza crust. This recipe is a treasure!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sub rolls.jpg (68.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 01-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
KathyCan

Did you use a convection oven?
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyCan
Stats: Lost 100 lbs in 2001, restarted 6/4/2012
WOE: Atkins for Life
Start Date: Restarted 6/4/2012
No, I just use my regular oven.
KathyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:40 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
cost of theses rolls

i keep worrying, that my oven takes 30 plus minutes to heat up to temp then baking for 43 mins more , dh thinks these are spendy rolls!
Wish i could cut the time in electric? Usually Convection cuts the time, but thats what Maria uses only.
We have looked into counter top convections to cut back on the power bills.
But haven't done anything more about them at the moment.
I keep going back to the microwave buns of various folks.
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:52 AM   #51
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I have a convection toaster oven (Oster brand). Under $100 and it can use regular size pans up to 9x13, if they don't have handles.
I use it almost exclusively unless I'm roasting a whole chicken or a turkey or something big that takes a long time.
It sits on top of my microwave, so it doesn't take up and more counter space. But make sure your microwave doesn't have vents on top, you wouldn't want to block them.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ozcook
When the heat is on

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyCan View Post
I make Maria's rolls all the time. You do need to let them cook longer than you think.
Maria has confirmed that she cooks her bread in a convection oven. That being so, I would expect that a conventional oven would need to be set at 380F to give a comparable cooking time to 350F in a convection oven.
Ozcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Convection cooks things at a lower temperature and in a lot less time...so when you bake this bread in a regular oven it needs to bake for a longer time also.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:49 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frogg
Stats: 220/154/140
Start Date: March 2013
I made the bread today. Must have beginner's luck because it turned out perfectly perfect. :

I tasted the end piece, smothered in butter and it was so good I immediately ate the other end piece.

I weighed everything with my food scale as suggested for best results. Here's a list of brand names I used:

Almond flour: Bob's Red Mill
Psyllium husks: Natural Brand. It says 'Colon Pure' on the label I ground the psyllium in my blender until it was very powdery.

I followed Maria's recipe from her website, but on a whim I added some nutritional yeast into the dry ingredients for a bit of flavour. I just grabbed some with my fingers and sprinkled it in, a few tablespoons worth.

I baked it for just over an hour. Of course I popped it in the oven and then forgot to turn the timer on. I remembered after about 10 mins so I set the timer for 55 mins when I remembered and it is just right.

I do have a convection oven.

This smells like bread baking, slices like bread, tastes like bread. It has a bit of chew. I'm thrilled. Thrilled I tells ya!

Last edited by frogg; 02-16-2014 at 07:55 PM..
frogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
THE BREAD

AM SO JEALOUS.....MADE IT AT LEAST 8 TIMES AND CANNOT GET
IT RIGHT....YOUR BREAD IS GORGEOUS!
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

All I can say is WOW did yours turn out nice. I have only made it into buns and they looked nothing like that.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nanoparty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
I've not made a whole loaf of bread but I have made hamburger buns 3 times. Definitely use egg whites instead of whole eggs. The difference is huge! Don't use any fat at all. I use 1/2 cup liquid egg whites from a carton and Swanson's psyllium husk powder.

I make 6 flattish rounds on nonstick foil, press sesame seeds into the tops and bake them for 50 minutes.
Aaah, this thread is so helpful! I swear Maria's bread recipe is some magic voodoo.

JHoberer, I have a carton of egg whites too, but it says on the side that they wouldn't work well for meringue/whipping due to the pasteurization. But it seems like yours must work ok? Of course, different brands, different results...
nanoparty! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:02 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Yes, the boxed egg whites worked well for me. I need to make this again... it's been awhile!
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chickamomminy
Stats: 248/183/148
WOE: Atkins (modified)
Start Date: April 2009
After seeing frogg's loaf, I decided to give it a try (hoping for some beginners luck myself).

Unfortunately, mine looks (and feels) more like a brick lol. I could use it for a doorstop. However, it tastes good, so, I will eat it, but back to the drawing board for me.

One question, for those of you who are getting something bread or roll-like? Are your results consistent once you find the magic formula with your ingredients? Or is this some sort of alchemy where the stars need to be aligned JUST right?
Chickamomminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frogg
Stats: 220/154/140
Start Date: March 2013
I made it a second time and didn't bake it quite long enough as it started falling when I took it out of the oven hahah! I tossed it back in and baked it some more. It was still good but really dense and not as raised as my first one. Oh well, I'll let you know how my third loaf turns out.
frogg is offline   Reply With Quote