Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   My 1 Minute Muffin is Yummy, but Dry (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/805783-my-1-minute-muffin-yummy-but-dry.html)

olive oyl 06-09-2013 09:59 AM

My 1 Minute Muffin is Yummy, but Dry

I made the original 1 minute muffin this morning for the first time, and it was very good, lots of possibilities, but it was dry. I've read a ton of posts about this recipe, and I'm wondering if I substituted a tablespoon of oil for the butter if it would be more moist.

I'm also considering adding zucchini for moistness.

I liked the way it tasted like a bran muffin, I used golden flax. Maybe almond flour would make it more moist?

I'm sure many of you have perfected these muffins, what's your take on the dryness? Do I play with the recipe, substituting oil, actually a bit of extra oil, if I used a tablespoon, since oil tends to make anything baked more moist than butter, in my opinion, or just leave it alone and be glad it tastes as good as it does. ;)

And if I bake it in the oven, how long does it take? And is it better in the oven? Oh, so many questions...

And a special toot for myself. I made my daughter-in-law Ina Garten's Lemon Yogurt Cake yesterday and she brought hubby a homemade peach pie, and I wasn't even tempted. That's a huge step for me.

But I did have an Atkins Bar, which I normally don't eat, didn't sit well, lots of stomach cramping in the middle of the night. Ugh

Back to just whole foods for me, I'm not going to mess with the bars, even if they are Atkins.

ouizoid 06-09-2013 10:23 AM

OO--if you have any glucomannan powder, a 1/2 tsp of that added to your LC flour of choice makes it much less dry. Almond flour is also a good choice as the fat in it tends to moisten baked goods.

olive oyl 06-09-2013 10:26 AM

I don't have glucomannan powder, if I use almond flour, should I mix it with golden flax, half and half ratio, or all almond flour? Thanks for the quick reply.

ouizoid 06-09-2013 10:34 AM

I think it is an individual taste thing. Try it and see how you like it.

DiamondDeb 06-09-2013 10:42 AM

I'm not sure which recipe you are using but, since you like the taste, I would just try adding another teaspoon of oil.

The basic recipe I start with (Jorge Cruise's Skinny muffin) calls for 1 t virgin coconut oil. I find I need to add more coconut oil if I use a combo of golden flax seed meal & almond flour than if I just use flax. And I always use a 50/50 combo now so I increase the oil from 1 t to 2 t or 1 T.

ravenrose 06-09-2013 11:08 AM

I find almond meal is always very dry, odd since it's mostly fat!

don't know what recipe you follow, but this is my mix to make 6 muffins in a silicone muffin pan/microwave

1/2 c flax meal
1/2 c oat fiber
1/4 c whey protein isolate (unflavored or vanilla or flavor of choice to go with syrup, doesn't matter too much)
2 Tablespoons canned pumpkin (this makes a huge difference)
salt to taste
1 cup DaVinci or Torani sf syrup

mix all, then add two eggs and mix again

microwave high about 7 minutes

olive oyl 06-09-2013 12:07 PM

ravenrose, this recipe sounds really good. my problem is that my pantry isn't stocked with anything but basics. i need to compile a list of these, unfamiliar to me ingredients, that i read about on this site and place an order with netrition. but first i need to research a bit to understand what i even need.

ravenrose 06-09-2013 12:36 PM

oh, and the oven does NOT make things moister. generally you can't tell the difference and it just uses a LOT more energy, which I know we are all sensitive to being responsible about.

I just want to restate that adding more fat doesn't necessarily do it. you need something to keep the moisture in the item. the pumpkin does that, and gluc might too, though I have never had much luck with it myself.

the addition of the oat fiber and whey protein make the texture less "flaxy" but are not necessary if that doesn't bother you. you could try grated zucchini--I used to use that before I discovered the pumpkin.

the point of using a muffin pan is to keep the individual cakes small. you need to minimize the difference between the inside and outside, so the outside doesn't get dry before the inside is done. to some extent you can do that by baking your omm in a shallow bowl so it's thin, too. overbaking dries it out.

olive oyl 06-09-2013 12:59 PM

thanks for the knowledge, i'm going to see what i can come up with. i like the idea of adding pumpkin a lot! enjoy the rest of your sunday :)

lterry913 06-09-2013 01:29 PM

I found adding a tsp of sour cream or a lil heavy cream to the batter really helps with moistness...give it a try.

Ozcook 06-09-2013 04:28 PM

Baking powder?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16462718)
I find almond meal is always very dry, odd since it's mostly fat!

don't know what recipe you follow, but this is my mix to make 6 muffins in a silicone muffin pan/microwave

1/2 c flax meal
1/2 c oat fiber
1/4 c whey protein isolate (unflavored or vanilla or flavor of choice to go with syrup, doesn't matter too much)
2 Tablespoons canned pumpkin (this makes a huge difference)
salt to taste
1 cup DaVinci or Torani sf syrup

mix all, then add two eggs and mix again

microwave high about 7 minutes

All the other OMM recipes I have tried had baking powder as an ingredient. Does this recipe not need baking powder?

BTW, I would have sent a PM, but I can't (not yet, anyway).

gharkness 06-11-2013 05:22 AM

Zucchini works wonders! Try grating some and stirring it in. I do that to ALL my OMM's and a half-cup adds maybe 2 carbs and <10 calories to the entire thing.