Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
Sugar Replacement: what do you use?

I'm LOVING the BTF mix and have used it with several of my higher carb recipes. I'm not always sure what measurements to use when replacing the sugar. I really want to stay away from Splenda. I normally try to use powdered stevia and Erythritol but it doesn't always come out as sweet.

I wondered if you expert bakers might have some suggestions?
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Grammy have you tried liquid sucralose? Some people call it liquid Splenda it is not. Splenda is made with pure sucralose and maltodextrin. I'm allergic to the maltodextrin.
It goes by many names: ez-sweets sold at Netrition.
sweetzfree and many others.

I use liquid sucralose, Xylitol, Erythritol , Nu Nataruals stevia, and sweet one.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Hi Esther.... Is liquid sucralose a natural product like stevia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Grammy have you tried liquid sucralose? Some people call it liquid Splenda it is not. Splenda is made with pure sucralose and maltodextrin. I'm allergic to the maltodextrin.

I use liquid sucralose, Xylitol, Erythritol , Nu Nataruals stevia, and sweet one.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
No. Sorry.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I use different sweeteners for different things, but usually I use more than one for the synergistic effect. I have xylitol, erythritol, and tagatose in bags in my pantry and usually use some combination.

If the sweet is going to be refrigerated, I make sure my xylitol or erythritol components are finely powdered in my coffee grinder and then dissolved completely in the liquid ingredients of my recipe. Otherwise, both will crystalize when cold and that cooling effect will become evident. Some say that adding inulin to the sweetener mix will counteract the cooling, but haven't tried it yet.

I cannot stand stevia in any form and I also shy away from sucralose any more.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I can't eat dairy and wondered if the tagatose can be tolerated? I read that it's a natural sweetener found in milk. What do you think?

Thank you for the information. I have used Xylitol in the past and hope to order more soon. Do you have a formula you use for all 3 to equal a cup of sugar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
I use different sweeteners for different things, but usually I use more than one for the synergistic effect. I have xylitol, erythritol, and tagatose in bags in my pantry and usually use some combination.

If the sweet is going to be refrigerated, I make sure my xylitol or erythritol components are finely powdered in my coffee grinder and then dissolved completely in the liquid ingredients of my recipe. Otherwise, both will crystalize when cold and that cooling effect will become evident. Some say that adding inulin to the sweetener mix will counteract the cooling, but haven't tried it yet.

I cannot stand stevia in any form and I also shy away from sucralose any more.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
grammy--the tagatose near killed me--but I can't tolerate sugar alcohols in general (although erythritol plays nicely for me)--so it depends on how you generally react. I find a synergistic blend is best for me. I like erythritol mixed with a little vanilla stevia. I dislike stevia alone, but that blend seems to work beautifully.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

ouizoid.. is the vanilla stevia a liquid? Can you purchase it from Netrition?How much of each would you use if you were replacing a cup of sugar.

Oh.. and by the way.. your BTF mix has blessed me so much. I've never been able to stick to low carb eating before because I wasn't able to bake. Now when I get the urge to bake I can play around with old recipes using your BTF mix. I love it!

I don't do Atkins but just have changed the kind of carbs I eat. The weight has come off slowly but I'm down lower than I've been in years. I'm so thankful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
grammy--the tagatose near killed me--but I can't tolerate sugar alcohols in general (although erythritol plays nicely for me)--so it depends on how you generally react. I find a synergistic blend is best for me. I like erythritol mixed with a little vanilla stevia. I dislike stevia alone, but that blend seems to work beautifully.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

grammy--I use the sweet leaf liquid stevia--vanilla creme flavour. you can buy it from whole foods or netrition. I usually mix a few drops with my erythritol to get the synergistic effect I like. I'm sorry, I seldom measure anything, but a few drops to a cup measure of E seems to do the trick.

I'm so glad you like the BTF mix! lowcarb is so much better when we can bake!!
Old 06-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for the help ouizoid. I wonder if that would work instead of the Davinci's SF syrup in smoothies? I'd really like to get completely away from artificial sweeteners if possible.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: berighteous
Stats: 320's/258/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2012
i don't know how you all tolerate stevia. Sure, it's natural, but it tastes like death. I've tried every brand I can find, including truvia and stevia in the raw, and they all have that nasty wicked aftertaste than makes you never want to use them ever again. I have a big bag of it I can't get myself to use in anything. Just...can't...do...it. How do you get past it?

Splenda is ok for me, but I tend to just go without sweetening or only use half as much. Won't do aspertame. Haven't found very many other things in the stores here, and am leery to buy something online I haven't tried.

I have a soda machine and we make our own syrups from unsweetened concentrates, so we can sweeten them as we like, and I'd really like to find something that I can drink.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jfar
I've been using Steviva Blend from Netrition. It's a combination of stevia and erythritol.It's pricey, almost $8 for a 1 lb. bag but am finding that it works well in baking. I've been combining it with Splenda, like 1/4 cup Splenda to 3/4 cups of Steviva. It does have a little of the cooling taste if eaten plain but I haven't noticed it in baked goods.
jfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I buy my E from honeyville in 4lb bags. I then make it into "brown sugar" by adding a couple of Tbs of molasses to the 4lb bag and blending--I suspect that helps with the synergy. I then add a few drops of sweet leaf /half cup of E. likely cheaper than the steviva, which I tried and liked, but which was too pricey.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

ouizoid- do you think it's possible to eventually lose all your weight and not do an organized plan like Atkins? I have lost 30 pounds VERY SLOWLY over a couple of years. It's coming off very slowly now. I just have never been able to stick to a 'diet'. How I lost the 30 pounds is to cut out wheat and sugar and not eat after dinner. Now I am working on smaller portions. I'd like to start losing again. Any suggestions?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

grammy--I will PM you--
Old 06-19-2013, 12:58 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
The only stevia I've been able to use/tolerate the taste of is from NuNaturals.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
I use Swerve and NuNaturals Stevia extract powder and erythritol and add molasses for the brown sugar flavor. Occasionally, I use Monin syrup(for myself). I use 1/16t (=2T sweetness) of the Stevia in 2quarts of iced tea...there is no aftertaste. I strive for the least harmful impact on my Grandbaby; as what she doesn't eat now, she will eventually.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
Sweetzfree and Malodextrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post

On the Sweetzfree website it says there is no maltodextrin in Sweetzfree!.....is that untrue???
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by majomor View Post
On the Sweetzfree website it says there is no maltodextrin in Sweetzfree!.....is that untrue???
Liquid sucralose, such as EZ-Sweetz, Sweetzfree, or Sucralose To Go, does not contain malodextrin.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I like to use Steviva, which is a erythritol/stevia blend, but I also still add some Kal white stevia extract.

I too liked to add liquid splenda to that mix and it really helped to complete the sweetener but I've since stopped using and sucralose products. Without it it seems like the sweeteners are missing something so I have since started used a bit (maybe a tsp or two) of raw organic honey to some things. Works wonderfully.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:01 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
May I ask how you guys sweeten chocolate?

Chocolate cakes and such I mix splenda and erythritol, but for candy I'm not sure... Ez-sweet works somewhat I know... But a mix of sweeteners is always better.
alonewithyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I use sucralose, stevia and erythritol. Stevia does really well with chocolate. Erythritol does even better, but it has a tendency to recrystalize if you use too much. It also can taste minty cool. That's why I use a mix. By the way if you have tagatose, it works just like sugar with chocolate.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
Start Date: January 1, 2013
I was playing around with tempering some chocolate to make SF chocolate chips and I'm pretty sure I used Swerve (kind of kicking myself right now for not making notes on how I did it because it came out as a fabulous bark when spread on foil). I *might* have added some Xylitol since it didn't have that 'minty' taste that chocolate gets with erythritol, tho.

I need to make it again, but I think my steps were to melt the unsweetened chocolate square in the microwave (slowly) and I remember I kept adding chocolate in small chunks and nuking for short intervals (10 to 15 seconds) -- stirring after each addition. It seized on me when I added the sweetener so I grabbed the butter and stirred it in to save it, as I recall. That turned it creamy again so every time I had to add the sweetener, I added a little butter along with it. When it looked and tasted right, I spread it on nonstick foil and let it harden.

^^Printing those notes so I can try to replicate it lol. Was so good!
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Sucralose as in splenda? or ez-sweet? Yeah, I have Tagatose. 2lbs I think! Thanks. I know I ask a lot of questions... Sorry about that.

I've read that E and X works well mixed with a fat during or after melting. I tried the fudge Ouiz has posted, but I found it to have a lot of that cooling effect.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
I have been using a combo of erythritol, stevia and sugar free syrup. Now that I've figured out the right combo, I wouldn't use anything else.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

So... would you mind sharing the measurements of each when replacing a cup of sugar?

Thank you!

Grammy G

Quote:
Originally Posted by miboje View Post
I have been using a combo of erythritol, stevia and sugar free syrup. Now that I've figured out the right combo, I wouldn't use anything else.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

I like using 1/2 cup splenda, 1/2 cup erythritol and a dash of stevia (1/16th tsp or something) for 1 cup sugar. It can be used in chocolate cakes as well.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonewithyou View Post
I like using 1/2 cup splenda, 1/2 cup erythritol and a dash of stevia (1/16th tsp or something) for 1 cup sugar. It can be used in chocolate cakes as well.
That's what I tend to use the most frequently, too.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote