Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   NOW Egg White Protein Powder (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/805631-now-egg-white-protein-powder.html)

Pami 06-06-2013 07:15 PM

NOW Egg White Protein Powder

NOW Egg White Protein Powder-
Is this the one that can be reconstituted and whipped
(like for an angel food cake or that sort of thing)? If this
isn't it, could you please point me in the direction of the
one I need? TIA!!

Pami 06-06-2013 07:19 PM

If you click on "NOW" in the link above, it will take you to the specific product
that I have a question about. If you click on the rest of the link, it will take you
to an index page.

ravenrose 06-06-2013 08:50 PM

we went through this and decided all the egg whites are the same, but it was not particularly about whipping them

Pami 06-07-2013 03:01 PM

Is there anyone out there that can answer my question?
TIA

Beth2013 06-07-2013 03:22 PM

Yes, just get the unflavored version.

Here are a couple of discussions on using the different egg white powders.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...eggwhites.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ur-mix-58.html

Pami 06-07-2013 03:48 PM

Thanks Beth, I read that first thread that you linked- but couldn't find the
answer to MY question, and I was overwhelmed by the second one! (It
did come up in one of my searches, but I just couldn't seem to get anything
useful out of it- so I gave up.) Thanks for linking right to the page that
discusses egg white powders. I guess, since I'm happy with my flour sub,
I just got frustrated when the searches were sending me to various posts
within that thread. Thanks again, Beth2013!

Beth2013 06-07-2013 04:05 PM

I was confused, too. I have egg white protein powder, but it can't be whipped up or anything. So I read a bunch of posts here explaining the ones that could.

I ended up getting the Deb El Just Whites at my grocery store, but have the NOW brand in my Netrition cart.

I read so much on here my eyes are red. It's interesting, though lol and I'm learning a ton.

rosethorns 06-07-2013 04:42 PM

Pami they are using both in the BTF mix. That's the only thing in the second thread. I don't know anybody who has tried to whip it.

The Deb El just whites I think is the only one that can be whipped. But I may be wrong.
Maybe somebody else knows.

watcher513 06-07-2013 05:17 PM

Some of us get them from honeyville too. Ends up being less $ than the Deb El, especially when they have a 10 or 20% off sale going.

Mistizoom 06-07-2013 06:33 PM

Here is what's listed as the "Suggested Usage" for the NOW Eggwhite Protein powder:

Quote:

As a high protein, low-fat food, add 1/4 cup Eggwhite Protein daily to 12 oz. of milk or other liquid. This powder can be used in cooking recipes by mixing two tablespoons of powder with six tablespoons of water to equal two egg whites.
However, I have no idea if it can be whipped up. I do have a LC angel food cake recipe I found that uses eggwhite protein powder, among other ingredients, but I haven't tried it yet.

Pami 06-07-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16460780)
I do have a LC angel food cake recipe I found that uses eggwhite protein powder, among other ingredients, but I haven't tried it yet.

OK that's what I'm trying to find out- which egg white powder can be whipped-
to make angel cake or other recipes that call for whites whipped to stiff peaks.
Mistizoom- does your cake recipe recommend any particular brand?

I appreciate everyone trying to help- I think it just took this many responses to
get to the question at hand!

Mistizoom 06-07-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pami (Post 16460792)
OK that's what I'm trying to find out- which egg white powder can be whipped-
to make angel cake or other recipes that call for whites whipped to stiff peaks.
Mistizoom- does your cake recipe recommend any particular brand?

I appreciate everyone trying to help- I think it just took this many responses to
get to the question at hand!

Sorry, I was wrong about the recipe. It is called "Healthified Angel Food Cake" from the mariahealth blog. It calls for 12 regular egg whites and 1 cup flavored Jay Robb strawberry protein powder - which I think is whey. I have Jay Robb tropical dreamsicle which I am going to use instead, and that definitely is whey.

I can try whipping up some of the NOW Eggwhite Protein powder tomorrow if you like and see how it works. My son just went to bed so I can't do it right now.

Pami 06-07-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16460799)
I can try whipping up some of the NOW Eggwhite Protein powder tomorrow if you like and see how it works. My son just went to bed so I can't do it right now.

Oh, I would love to know if it gets whippy enough to use in recipes!
I really appreciate that. Thank you so much!

Mistizoom 06-08-2013 06:51 PM

Ok, I measured 2 tablespoons of NOW Eggwhite Protein powder and 6 tablespoons water and whipped them. The whipped up very well. First pic is after mixing with a fork for a few seconds, second pic is whipped with the mixer. I could turn the bowl upside down. The peaks were fairly stiff, but I don't thiink they were as stiff as fresh egg whites would get. However, this was the first time I used the whisk attachment for my new Cuisinart hand mixer, so I have never mixed regular egg whites with this mixer before. I think these would work fine in most recipes that call for whipped egg whites to be folded into a batter or other mixture, but I wouldn't use them in something like meringue because they had a definite cooked taste, and I don't think they would taste good as the "star" ingredient. I didn't use any stabilizers and after a few hours in the fridge they re-liquified for the most part so I ended up throwing them out before using them for anything.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ps2e035df4.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ps4e400e06.jpg

Pami 06-08-2013 06:58 PM

Wow! Thanks for the answer- and with pictures, even! I think that will
work for angel food cake- I just hate ending up with a pile of unemployed
yolks when I'm making something like that. I may have to try this powder
and work on an angel cake recipe. I don't like meringue, so that won't be
an issue (don't like marshmallows or Peeps either, for that matter). Thanks
again Mistizoom for finding this out for me!

rosethorns 06-08-2013 07:19 PM

Wow the pictures are awesome Misti. Great info.Very good to know.

Mistizoom 06-08-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pami (Post 16462062)
Wow! Thanks for the answer- and with pictures, even! I think that will
work for angel food cake- I just hate ending up with a pile of unemployed
yolks when I'm making something like that. I may have to try this powder
and work on an angel cake recipe. I don't like meringue, so that won't be
an issue (don't like marshmallows or Peeps either, for that matter). Thanks
again Mistizoom for finding this out for me!

If you plan ahead you could always buy the cartons of egg whites from the store. I do that sometimes. But it is nice to know the powder will work for times I haven't planned ahead!

Pami 06-08-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16462109)
If you plan ahead you could always buy the cartons of egg whites from the store. I do that sometimes. But it is nice to know the powder will work for times I haven't planned ahead!

"plan ahead"? I'm sorry, I'm unfamiliar with this concept! :hyst:

Beth2013 06-09-2013 09:26 AM

Misti - that's a wonderful review of the product! Saved me some experimenting for sure (I love that about this forum). Thanks!