Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Is Mug cake and 1-minute muffin same thing? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/805607-mug-cake-1-minute-muffin-same-thing.html)

Chaquita 06-06-2013 09:25 AM

Is Mug cake and 1-minute muffin same thing?

I have seen numerous times people talking about this mug cake. 5+ years ago, I hung out at another LC forum and all the rage then was the "1-mintue muffin", made with flax meal, almond fl, unflavored whey (or really any combination of these). So a few questions...

1. I am having trouble finding an original version of this mug cake...is it the same thing basically? Recipe please?

2. Secondly, I am looking to use - or incorporate my coconut flour into one these cakes/muffins. I have tried and really not liked the texture, so I assuming I need to adjust something somewhere, as I know coconut fl really absorbs liquid.

3. And last, I have mostly seen "chocolate" or sweet versions of these cake/muffins, but am really looking for a savory version.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

ravenrose 06-06-2013 04:55 PM

never heard of mug cake in all my years here.

for coconut flour, look for the threads on the fantastic flour mix. I am sure you will find some savory things like you want.

rosethorns 06-06-2013 07:08 PM

I found 1 but there are many many 1 minute muffins recipes. Here's one :

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...te-muffin.html

You will have to do a search for flax muffins and other names.There are 10 pages of threads.

I just found Spongebob's flaxbread.When I made this we use to put differents herbs in it for different flavors. Savory and sweet.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/re...-research.html

Smiles 06-07-2013 12:21 AM

Chaquita,

Another way to find 1 minute muffin recipes is to search the forum for 'OMM' (without the quotes) as that is a commonly used abbreviation here for 1 minute muffins. I know I have seen more than one version here, usually as tweaks to a base recipe someone posted. You'd have to read through those threads. There are savory versions. If I find a specific one, I'll come back and post for you.

UPDATE: I just searched this part of the forum "low carb recipe help suggestions' for 'omm' and I came up with a lot of threads. Do the search, and go to the one called '1 Minute Muffin.' Within that thread, people talk about savory options. If you want to find the posts in that thread where people specifically mention savory muffins, search that thread for 'savory' (no quotes). If you need help finding it, please feel free to ask. :)

Tracy

Smiles 06-07-2013 12:43 AM

OK Chaquita,

I started a new thread, asking people to post their savory 1 minute muffin recipes. Hopefully, we'll get some great ones there for you to start with. :) If you have trouble finding it, let me know.

Tracy

Tracy

Chaquita 06-07-2013 05:47 AM

Thank you everyone for your help, but perhaps I was not clear. I was asking about the mug cake, which appears to use coconut flour, and my question - or search - was whether there are savory versions of this (or the OMM) using coconut flour.

Simply swapping out flax or almond flour for coconut flour does not work because coconut flour just soaks up so much moisture.

Ladies, a very quick on-line search of "Mug cake" will show you this is a very popular LC quickie chocolate cake type thingie...which I wouldn't be surprised if it is a tweaked version of the OMM? :)

Smiles...thanks, I will check out that thread, as I do best - and stay at my weight - by staying away from sweets, not swapping out LC versions of sweets.

rosethorns 06-07-2013 07:28 AM

You were clear. Check out the Better than Flour thread Ouizoid makes a recipe for a simple cake made with
coconut flour
oat fiber
glucocmannan
egg white powder
It has 110 calories for the first cake of the op then there are many recipes after.
Iwill put up the thread for you. It's 65 pages long well worth reading. You can do many reecipes with this flour mix.The serving is huge.It's not just sweet there are biscuits and pizza in that thread.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...flour-mix.html

The oringinal OMM was from here by Kim of MN then there are many versions of it. You know it as the mug cake because somebody else did that.

LindaSue 06-07-2013 07:47 AM

I did a Google search for Mug Cakes and it looks like the high carbers are also making them. So are the low carb Mug Cakes and One Minute Muffins derived from the high carb idea or did the high carbers get the idea from us?

rosethorns 06-07-2013 08:18 AM

They got it from us Linda. My children were telling me about it many years and I knew where it came from.

Chaquita 06-07-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16459832)
They got it from us Linda. My children were telling me about it many years and I knew where it came from.

Hmm...I'm not so sure about that. In the early 90's I remember making individual chocolate cakes in a mug that was microwaved...and it was not LC, that's for sure!

rosethorns 06-07-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaquita (Post 16460112)
Hmm...I'm not so sure about that. In the early 90's I remember making individual chocolate cakes in a mug that was microwaved...and it was not LC, that's for sure!

OK

Nigel 06-08-2013 05:57 AM

I sometimes make the 3-2-1 cake, but it's not LC.

You take a regular cake mix and an angel food cake mix and mix them both together.

When you want a cake, you take 3 T. of the mix, 2 T. of water, and then nuke it 1 min.

It makes a lovely little cake, surprisingly.

There must be a way to make a similar LC one, but I haven't seen it yet.

LindaSue 06-08-2013 07:52 AM

Some of the high carb mug cakes that I saw online were so elaborate that it seemed silly to make only one little cake. For the effort, you might as well make a big cake in the oven and serve several people.