Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   tip for making very thin "almond thins" (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/805576-tip-making-very-thin-almond-thins.html)

RVlady 06-05-2013 07:20 PM

tip for making very thin "almond thins"

my tip for "thin" almond thins

I have one cookie sheet that is slightly smaller than the rest. I cover the bigger one with no stick aluminum foil then plop the dough it bits all around the pan trying to get it evenly spread. Then I put a sheet of plastic wrap over the dough, place the smaller cookie sheet over the first one covered w the plastic wrap. Then put a towel over the two, put them on the floor and step on it, first on one side, then the other and finally the middle. Remove top cookie sheet, plastic wrap and now take a pizza cutter and lightly score the crackers. Bake as usual. These turn out very thin and crispy. I do use about 1/3 sesame seeds in my almond crackers. .. Connie

Smiles 06-05-2013 07:36 PM

Now that's ingenious :) Makes sense. Get them thin and they'll cook up crispier. It usually is the small things that make all the difference. Thanks :)

Tracy

Mistizoom 06-05-2013 09:10 PM

Great idea! What recipe do you use for the almond thins?

RVlady 06-05-2013 10:21 PM

Mistizoom, here you go.

1 cup of almond flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/3 cup sesame seeds and 1 Jumbo egg white
After you stir all together and do your fancy footwork on the cookie sheets, score and bake at 325 for 10-12 minutes. If the outside crackers are done before the rest, pull out the cookie sheet and remove the outside crackers all around and let the middle ones go for just a little bit longer. You do have to watch these like a hawk and not get them too well done.

Depending on what we are having with them, I may add onion or garlic powder, dry ranch dressing mix OR if I want to use these as a base for making nachos, I add both onion and garlic powder, a little cumin and a little bit of Knorr chicken bouillon powder.

DH does not care for sesame seeds, so for him I add 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese and 1 Tbslp soft butter instead of the sesame seeds. These taste a little like Cheezits
Be sure to check out all the almond thin messages..you will get a lot of good ideas
....Connie

creativelc 06-06-2013 12:48 AM

Sounds like making crackers can be a fun experience! I bet the kids will love the "jumping on the cookie sheet" part of this recipe.

The variations sound very tasty also, and I love sesame seed crackers.
I usually sprinkle them on top, but will include them in the batter next time.

buttoni 06-07-2013 06:45 AM

Wonder if you can burn off some calories if you "dance" on the pan (as seen on the old "stairstepper" TV ads) instead of just step on the pan? LOL

Beth2013 06-07-2013 08:57 AM

^^^^ :hyst:

(I'll try it)!