Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Leftover Bacon Grease (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/805501-leftover-bacon-grease.html)

momov2boys 06-04-2013 04:05 PM

Leftover Bacon Grease

How do you use it?

Thanks!
:)

buttoni 06-04-2013 04:09 PM

Seasoning veggies and greens, great for searing pork chops, great for frying diced jicama, radishes or rutabaga (with onions) for breakfast hash browns, add 1 T. per pound gr. pork when making homemade sausage, added to a tossed green salad, it wilts the greens and makes a lovely dressing with or without vinegar added.

Ntombi 06-04-2013 04:25 PM

Oh, so many ways!

I sauté veggies in it, I roast vegetables with it, I rub it on chickens before roasting, I cook eggs in it, I use it to grease pans when baking other meats, I dip chicken pieces into it before coating them in pork rinds and Parmesan before oven frying, just about anything other than sweet dishes.

It's a fabulous fat!

greybb1 06-04-2013 04:29 PM

Liquid gold! I agree with everything said above. I especially love green beans, cooked in water with some finely chopped onion & bacon grease.

I buy very lean burger (93/7) and there's almost no fat in it and it can be dry when using for something like burgers. I mix in some bacon grease & it gives it some fat and juiciness as well as a great smoky flavor.

Charski 06-04-2013 06:49 PM

Frying meats, oven-roasted veggies with melted bacon fat tossed in with them, of course eggs, I use a spoonful when cooking quinoa, so many reasons to love bacon fat!

Beth2013 06-04-2013 08:24 PM

I started saving bacon grease when I started this WOE. DH didn't know what it was and tossed it. I almost cried lol.

Ntombi 06-04-2013 08:30 PM

:(

I grew up with a grandmother and father who kept it in the fridge. My mother did sporadically. So I've always known the wonders of bacon grease. :p I'm just more liberal with it now than I was as a young adult.

ravenrose 06-04-2013 08:45 PM

Eggs and vegetables mostly. too bad we can't buy the stuff in sticks! LOL

I love chicken fat from baking chicken breasts too. Fantastic!

Beth2013 06-05-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16455719)
too bad we can't buy the stuff in sticks!

That is such a great idea!

pocahontas 06-05-2013 04:11 PM

My grandmother's side of the family is of Mexican descent and bacon grease in the fridge was the norm. It was used to roast meats, veggies and for beans and homemade tortillas. Oh how I miss those tortillas! Luckily, I never learned to make them though I could have the recipe in a matter of minutes, I think I will pass and keep my grease for meats & veggies! :laugh:

Charski 06-06-2013 07:51 AM

Oh gosh yes, Andi - bacon grease in refried beans is soooo good! I love the Borlotti beans, they cook up so creamy, and then a good blop of bacon fat to "refry" them. :yummy:

I DO know how to make tortillas, sadly! :laugh: I even have a tortilla press and a comal to cook them on. :D

Beth2013 06-06-2013 07:58 AM

I keep mine in the fridge, but one of my SIL's keeps hers out. She fries almost everything with it. I fried my burger patty in it last night. I think it keeps me full longer (plus it's so flavorful).

evas 06-06-2013 01:53 PM

In addition to what has already been mentioned I suggest you put it in your guacamole! It needs to be heated to liquid to mix in but once it's mixed in it doesn't harder up again. Also it's really awesome to use in salad dressings (slightly warm) and hummus.