Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Tell me about olive oil dressings (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/805430-tell-me-about-olive-oil-dressings.html)

Lillianna 06-04-2013 10:13 AM

Tell me about olive oil dressings

I'm on day 6 of induction -- recommitted after gaining 20+ pounds. I've had to give up my beloved ranch dressing because I can no longer eat eggs and most dressings contain them...I've started using a balsamic dressing and am using light or fat free because I also want to stay away from soybean oil (and Polyunsaturated oils in general). I'm not good in the kitchen but I'm thinking an olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing can't be that hard to whip up...Unfortunately I hate the taste of olive oil. What kind has a lighter taste, and is it still just as healthy? Anyone have a recipe they like? Thanks!

rosethorns 06-04-2013 10:50 AM

You proably need to test oils to find one you can handle. There are many pure oils out there.

My sister kept telling me that she could not eat eggs. So I said ok. Then about 5 months ago I said I can only eat organic eggs that are cage free , not feed soy.Then she started wondering. She now has her loved eggs back.
So try organic you will be amazed . I buy 12 dozen organic eggs a month.We are allergic to many many foods.

Balsamic has sugar in it.

Macadamia oil and red wine vinegar and fresh chopped garlic is delish.

evas 06-04-2013 11:14 AM

When I make a vinaigrette dressing I don't ever actually taste the oil because the vinegar is so much stronger. Doesn't seem to matter whether I use balsamic, red wine or cider vinegar.

When I make a vinaigrette, in addition to the oil and vinegar, I usually put in fresh garlic and any fresh herbs I have on hand (basil, thyme, cilantro, whatever), salt & pepper and a squirt of mustard (any type). Whisk it all together and yum!

buttoni 06-04-2013 11:33 AM

If you don't like the taste of the extra virgin olive oil, switch to the extra light that Bertolli makes. Much less intense in flavor than the darker EVOO. I can get the light and extra light at my Walmart. Sam's has it too in a much larger bottle. I saute with it too, but not on such high heat.

mojave 06-04-2013 12:26 PM

You can make your own ranch dressing with mayo and sour cream as the base and use your own spices.There are eggs the mayo, is that the problem you are having with it?. You could leave out the mayo and just use sour cream. If you want the recipe I can dig it up.

Light olive sounds like it should work for you. I make my go to dressing with extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, lots of fresh garlic and parmesan cheese. Olive oil, vinegar or lemon juice, some dijon mustard and tiny bit of stevia makes a yummy one. Balsamic is pretty high carb, I use it on occasion but not often.

Dee

Charski 06-04-2013 01:32 PM

Light olive oil is good if you're not fond of the olive oil taste. THAT being said - there is olive oil, and then there is olive oil! My favorite and the only extra-virgin olive oil I'll buy is Trader Joe's Kalamata. I love that stuff - but I've tasted plenty of EVOO that I did NOT love.

It goes rancid fairly quickly too, so keep it in a cool dark cupboard that doesn't get exposed to heat, or if you have to, in the fridge - just be aware that you need to take it out and let it warm up a bit to get it back to fully liquid.

Or you could try rice bran oil - it's a healthy oil and pretty flavorless.

mojave 06-04-2013 01:48 PM

I'll look for Kalamata next time I'm in Joe's.
I don't recall ever seeing it.

Dee

Charski 06-04-2013 02:56 PM

Dee, it comes in a tall squared bottle with a green label - "Trader Joe's 100% premium Greek Kalamata olive oil" or something to that effect! I could drink it straight, I love it that much.

You should find it with their other oils and vinegars.

mojave 06-04-2013 03:06 PM

I'll look for it this Thursday, thanks for the heads up!

Dee

Charski 06-04-2013 03:08 PM

I hope your TJ's has it!

mojave 06-06-2013 06:31 PM

Just got back from the TJ's in Cathedral City. They had the kalamata olive oil! Will be trying it tomorrow on our salad .

Dee

Charski 06-06-2013 06:57 PM

Oh good! Can't wait to hear if you like it as much as I do! :)

mojave 06-08-2013 09:28 AM

Char, the oil is the best ever. Thanks so much for turning me on to it.

Dee

Charski 06-08-2013 06:30 PM

YAY, Dee, I'm so glad you like it - I always am hesitant to say "Oh try THIS!" because everyone's tastebuds are different. DH and I love it though.