Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Lets Talk About Washing Your Food (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/805367-lets-talk-about-washing-your-food.html)

evas 06-03-2013 09:51 AM

Lets Talk About Washing Your Food

So either you can't afford to buy everything organic, or it's not readily available to you, or you just don't care so you get the "regular" stuff. when you are getting ready to chomp into some tasty veggies or fruits how do you wash? Just with water or do you use some kind of "cleaner"? Do you scrub or simply rinse? How important do you think it is? Are you worried about fertilizers and pesticides?

livinlarge 06-03-2013 09:57 AM

All of my veggies whether organic or not get soaked in the sink or a very large bowl filled with cold water and 1/4c of white vinegar for at least 10 minutes.

emel 06-03-2013 10:04 AM

I wash my hands and then I rub the fruits/veggies under running water.
I might use a potato brush on a melon or something with a rind that looks dirty. But usually if it looks clean, like an orange, I'll just rinse it as above.

For lettuces, I discard the outer leaves and then rinse under running water.
I avoid waxed stuff like cucumbers, but if that's all I can get I'll rub it under running water and then peel it.

For loose leaves that are gritty, like kale, big bowl filled w/water. Put in kale, swish around, lift out. Change the water, rinse the bowl, and repeat till not gritty. 3 times for spinach or salad greens, 7 times for kale or collards or mustard is the old way of saying how long to do it.

ravenrose 06-03-2013 10:35 AM

I don't think washing has anything to do with pesticide residue. I believe most pesticides are "systemic" and are all through the items in question, not just the surface.

washing is to get rid of bacteria that can give you food poisoning.

emel 06-03-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16453004)
I don't think washing has anything to do with pesticide residue. I believe most pesticides are "systemic" and are all through the items in question, not just the surface.

washing is to get rid of bacteria that can give you food poisoning.

It depends on the vegetable. That's why, in my opinion, it is good to try for organic from the 'dirty dozen' foods and then not worry about the others so much. That's apples, celery, cucumber, cherry tomato, grapes (especially from Mexico), peppers (bell and hot), peaches/nectarines, potatoes (but studies show that scrubbing a potato removes a lot of the pesticides), strawberry, blueberry, and greens and lettuces.

Deemed safest non-organic are:
Onions
Sweet Corn
Pineapple
Avocado
Asparagus
Frozen Sweet peas
Mango
Papayas
Eggplant
Cantaloupe but some foreign sources are dirty.

I buy organic lettuce, spinach, and cherry tomato and celery since I eat so much of them. I grow my own apples. I peel my cucumbers and I only buy domestic grapes. I choose local, small-farm berries and melons and big tomatoes---it's the best I can do.

Arctic_Mama 06-03-2013 04:01 PM

We can't afford organic for our family, so I don't sweat it. I also don't delude myself into thinking that I'm gaining significant health or quality of life just from washing an apple better. I rinse produce and squirt/rub some produce wash onto it, to remove the physical residue, because it is easy. The rest I don't give a moment of my time. In terms of deleterious health effects, many things in the diet have a demonstrably more significant impact on health than animal poop, small quantities of neurotoxins, and some wax. So I do my personal risk assessment and manage accordingly. That calculation may look different for you, but clean fruits and veggies are not at the top of my list beyond what is simple and common sense cleaning.

If The Lord brings me home over eating too many veggies that were farmed with pesticides, that's fine by me. Last time I checked mortality rates were 100% minus three men :)

pocahontas 06-03-2013 04:26 PM

All fruit and veggies get a good rinse in old fashioned water. :D I buy primarily organic but not all.

A&F 06-03-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama (Post 16453553)
We can't afford organic for our family, so I don't sweat it. I also don't delude myself into thinking that I'm gaining significant health or quality of life just from washing an apple better. I rinse produce and squirt/rub some produce wash onto it, to remove the physical residue, because it is easy. The rest I don't give a moment of my time. In terms of deleterious health effects, many things in the diet have a demonstrably more significant impact on health than animal poop, small quantities of neurotoxins, and some wax. So I do my personal risk assessment and manage accordingly. That calculation may look different for you, but clean fruits and veggies are not at the top of my list beyond what is simple and common sense cleaning.

If The Lord brings me home over eating too many veggies that were farmed with pesticides, that's fine by me. Last time I checked mortality rates were 100% minus three men :)

I was beginning to think that I was the only one that didn't give washing veggies much thought. I can't say that I wash anything unless it is visibly dirty, and even then I'll probably just brush the dirt off. It just isn't on my list of things to worry about.

Beth2013 06-03-2013 05:03 PM

DH uses a vegetable brush. I've seen him sprinkle some baking soda on it, but hold my tongue.

When our son was little I tried to wash under running water for a minimum of 3 minutes (read that somewhere). Then I'd think about all the water I was wasting and feel guilty.

I still peel celery. If there's one veggy I try to buy organic, celery is it. I've gotten some really 'chemically' tasting celery over the years.

rubidoux 06-03-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A&F (Post 16453592)
I was beginning to think that I was the only one that didn't give washing veggies much thought. I can't say that I wash anything unless it is visibly dirty, and even then I'll probably just brush the dirt off. It just isn't on my list of things to worry about.

I'm right with ya! And, good grief, do people really wash melons and oranges? That has never even occurred to me. I know that you're supposed to wash avocadoes but I'm just to lazy, I guess.

Nigel 06-04-2013 05:43 AM

I wash all my veggies and fruits and use a vegetable brush on them, except for bananas. I scrub my citrus simply because so many "paws" (hands) have been touching them before I got there.

I got used to washing them all thoroughly because I do a lot of juicing and a lot of things I leave the peels on.

AuburnNurse 06-04-2013 06:54 AM

Yeah, I'm with the no washing crew! I will pull off/ rinse visibly dirty leaves of lettuce or rinse of celery stalks if I see visible dirt. I don't wash fruit, really. I rinse and rub zucchini and yellow squash because sometimes it feeels dirty to touch, sticky almost. Not sure if it's the natural waxy/rubbery skin that makes it feel that way or not, but that one always.

I will wash our berries when we buy them right before eating or serving to the kiddos. I've noticed if I wash the whole tray of strawberries, they tend to mold faster. And raspberries get very soggy if you rinse and pop back into the fridge. I've never washed a melon, though when the Hepatitis A scare happened with canteloupe last year, I just didn't buy it. Not worth the risk.

Otherwise, I really don't think about washing anything. It's occurred to me, but I choose not to. I figure if things have been sprayed with pestacides during the growth period on the farms, it's pretty likely that the chemicals aren't just superficial.

Beth2013 06-04-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubidoux (Post 16453937)
...do people really wash melons and oranges?

I slip up from time to time, but DH wouldn't dream of cutting into anything with a rind without washing it first. But he also washes off the tops of cans before attacking with a can-opener lol.

mojave 06-04-2013 08:03 AM

I'm with your husband and the can thing. I give the tops of cans a swipe with a clorox wipe before opening, or a damp paper towel. No insecticide in my tomato sauce, thanks. We are lucky to have an organic vegetable market in town and the produce is amazing. Organic broccoli is fantastic. I buy regular avocados. I just rinse the produce with water in a large colander.I used to have an big garden but we travel more now and can't maintain one while we are away. Nothing like home grown.

Dee

marieze 06-04-2013 09:05 PM

I just put everything in a big plastic collander, rinse with the spray thingy on my faucet and call it a day.....haven't lost any necessary organs yet :rofl:

drjlocarb 06-05-2013 06:57 AM

I am in the no wash camp. I am exposed daily to MUCH more than what is on a piece of produce.

Charski 06-05-2013 08:29 AM

I give a rinse/rub under cool running water and that's about it, unless something looks particularly grubby, in which case - who the heck bought THAT?! :laugh:

I DO rinse melons, avocados, etc. - anything where the knife is gonna go through the part I'm gonna eat.