Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Flax Focaccia (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/805341-flax-focaccia.html)

elaurie 06-03-2013 06:21 AM

Flax Focaccia

I'm trying induction for the second time and have no worries about making it through this time with this bread! It's a lifesaver for me! I love bacon and eggs, but have trouble eating them alone...feels much to heavy. Though the flax focaccia is dense, it breaks up that gob of protein and fat.

I also use it for sandwiches, crumble it for crumbs. Use it for cinnamon toast and cheese toast. It's great with fresh herbs added to the recipe. Subbing a half cup of almond flour for part of the flax adds carbs, but gives it a sort of cornbread texture and cuts the flax taste some. I do that occasionally but don't mind it at all using all flax.

The main tweak I make is reducing sweetener to 1 packet. Using parchment paper is a must! Golden flax meal is the mildest and tastes best if kept frozen after opening.

Google: Flax Bread Recipe - Low-Carb Focaccia-Style Flax Bread

elaurie 06-03-2013 06:39 AM

Correction about the sweetener. Should read I only use a teaspoon granulated. I forgot that packets are more concentrated.

Also forgot to add that I cool the bread, then pan toast pieces in butter as I use it. Toasting it gives it a nutty flavor.

penguinpower 06-03-2013 06:44 PM

Thanks for this, elaurie! I needed something quick and bread-like tonight and whipped this up, plopped dough into my muffin top pans, and in no time had 12 bun-like pieces. I eliminated the sweetener altogether and used garlic salt instead of plain, and sprinkled with sesame seeds - fast, easy and tasty. Each bun was thick enough to split into two. They aren't quite as substantial as the buns I make with Buttoni's excellent focaccia recipe, but they are quite good (providing you like the taste of flax, as I do). I like that these don't have cheese. I will definitely be making these often.

EllaP 06-04-2013 06:21 PM

I made this this afternoon and love it. Thank you for directing me to it (Google: Flax Bread Recipe - Low-Carb Focaccia-Style Flax Bread).

I usually make Buttoni's foccacia bread but didn't have protein powder or cheese on hand so thought I'd give this one a try. I opted not to use all flax as someone along the comments had done and it came out perfectly.

Flax/Chia/Almond Foccacia

3/4 cup ground flax
3/4 cup ground chia
1/2 cup almond flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 T erythritol and dash of powdered stevia (can probably omit though the bread doesn't come out sweet at all so it could be used for savory applications as is).

5 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup oil (I had rice oil on hand)

I combined all the dry ingredients in a bowl. I then beat the eggs with the water. To this I added all dry ingredients, mixed well and then added the oil. (I did the mixing directly in my Vitamix, as I do with Buttoni's, too, but a bowl and mixer or wisk or spoon would work just fine).

I spread it out on parchment paper on a pan (mine was about 12 x 12) and cooked at 350 for 20 minutes. It has a really tender bite to it.