Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Hazelnut Crackers with pic, hopefully! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/805330-hazelnut-crackers-pic-hopefully.html)

marieze 06-02-2013 06:16 PM

Hazelnut Crackers with pic, hopefully!

Attachment 50247

I'm not sure that my pictures posted, but the other day someone requested my hazelnut flour cracker recipe that I had mentioned. I'm not sure where that original post is, but I will post the recipe as it is written then tell you what my tweaks were.

1 cup hazelnut flour
1/2 cup parmeason cheese, packed
1 egg white
Finely chopped herbs of your choice

Mix all together and line cookie sheet with either oiled foil or parchment paper. Put dough in center of pan with parchment on top and roll out very thin. Score the dough and bake for 1/2 hour. Take them out or leave in for a little extra if not done to your liking.

This is the 4th time I have made these and today's batch are the best so far. Do not be afraid to do basically anything to this dough as I have come to realize these would be pretty hard to screw-up! I doubled the recipe this time.

2 cups of hazelnut flour
1/2 cup parmeason cheese (any more is too salty imho)
1/2 cup shredded mexican blend or any other cheese you like
3 egg whites
Salt (very little as the cheese is salty), pepper, onion powder, garlic powder
Cayenne....this is just what I used...you can use Anything you like!
A little olive oil

Then follow the directions above.

This time I added a little olive oil because they have not been crispy enough for my taste. I like these seasonings but don't care for herbs so I omitted putting them in. One whole cup of parmeason is way too much and salty so I broke it up with the Mexican blend. The dough is still too dry so I used 3 egg whites and a little olive oil. Trust me....you can do whatever you want with this.

As I had just taken something else out of the oven that was baking at 400 degrees, I put them in at 400 this time for about 10 minutes then lowered the temp. to the 275 for about another 1/2 hour. At the end of that, I turned off the oven entirely and just left them in there.

They came out crispy and delicious!:jumpjoy:

Mistizoom 06-02-2013 06:47 PM

Thanks! Now I just need to get some hazelnut flour. Do you have any idea if it would work with almond flour?

marieze 06-02-2013 08:46 PM

There is a recipe, possibly in the recipe that is for "almond thins"....they were my first attempt at crackers and I didn't like them at all. Hence the reason for venturing out with the hazelnut flour. The almond flour almost tasted sweet and was not the right taste for a cracker....to me ;)

I forgot to mention that I even squirted some horseradish mustard into the mix which just made these crackers more flavorful.

I hope you were able to see the picture....hazelnut flour is now about the same price as almond flour and I bought Bob's Red Mill (their company is actually just a few miles from my house) at Whole Foods.

Good Luck!

rosethorns 06-02-2013 09:24 PM

No young lady , we can't see the pic. I've used all of the nuts and seed crakers.

Your recipe sounds wonderful.

marieze 06-02-2013 10:19 PM

Regarding my pic...

You should just be able to cluck in the "attachment" in my post up above and see the picture....I can do it.....try that and let me know!

Bar10der 06-03-2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marieze (Post 16452225)
You should just be able to cluck in the "attachment" in my post up above and see the picture....I can do it.....try that and let me know!

When I do that I get this:

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

dmburk 06-03-2013 05:32 AM

Help for posting pics

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/be...ting-pics.html
I really liked these instructions.

Mistizoom 06-03-2013 08:56 AM

I can't see the pic either, I get the same message.

I'll look for Bob's Red Mill hazelnut flour. I used to love almond thins and if these are a LC substitute I will be very happy!

JenniferO 06-03-2013 09:39 AM

I can't see the picture either, but I thought maybe I wasn't following the directions carefully trying to "cluck" on the attachment. I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to have my microphone plugged in, and I didn't know whether I had to just make a little "bawk bawk" sound or do the full egg-laying routine.

I had fun trying them both, but neither one of them worked. ;)

Tweaker Geek 06-03-2013 07:27 PM

I can't see the pic either. I guess none of us are "clucking" correctly!:hyst:

Soobee 06-04-2013 04:12 AM

JenniferO, I wish I were there to see it.

AnitaLCing 06-10-2013 06:32 AM

I am not crazy about the flavor of hazelnut....how does the final baked taste compare?