Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Elgar
Stats: 182/170/150
WOE: HCG-2, Juicing & LC
Start Date: May 2013 (restart)
Storing homemade coconut butter

I followed a recipe I found on this forum and made some coconut butter. Put it in the fridge overnight and it got rock hard due to the coconut oil. Let it out on the counter for a few hours and it completely melted. How do you guys keep it so it's "butter" consistency? I tasted the center which hadn't quite melted and it was extremely delicious. Now have to find a way to use it beside eating off the spoon.
Elgar is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Mine was ok in the fridge of the door. You might try keeping it in the produce drawer and see if the oil is less hard there.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
experiment to see if there is a place in your house that's less warm than the kitchen counter and less cold than the refrigerator! a wine cellar type location would probably be best. usually the kitchen is warmer than other rooms. try and see if you can find a sweet spot.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I have the same problem with mayonnaise made with a mix of oils including coconut oil. I would be very interested in any solution you find.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I have the same problem with mayonnaise made with a mix of oils including coconut oil. I would be very interested in any solution you find.
I've been making my mayo with a mix of about 1/3 coconut oil and 2/3 avocado oil, along with the other traditional ingredients (salt, vinegar, lemon juice, etc.). It has worked quite well, and does not get crunchy in the refrigerator. I have been using the 2-minute quick method, using a hand-held stick blender. It has revolutionized my mayo-making life!

As for the coconut butter, I also make my own from coconut powder, and I do NOT keep it refrigerated, for the reasons mentioned earlier. I just let it separate and stir it again when I am ready to use it. (That doesn't mean that stirring it is actually easy - the solids can be quite thick, so it takes some time and patience - if you have a strong stick blender, that seems to work well for me, or you can put it in smaller batches so you don't have to stir so much at a time.)

There's not a way to keep it from separating when the temperature is above 76 degrees without adding thickeners, and I would not even think about doing that. However, the closer you are to that magic number of 76 degrees, the more slowly it will separate.
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote